Who Loves Target?

Target does not and will not allow the Marines to collect for Toys for Tots at any of their store locations because "it is not their policy". And during the recent Iraq deployment of all of our military, Target would not allow families of employees who were called up for active duty to continue their health care coverage while they were on active duty. Pretty rotten practices for a french owned company conducting business in the United States of America. So.... no.....I never ever shop there.

Highlights specific to your statements:
  • The Target Corporation is a publicly held, U.S.-based firm which has been headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, since it began as the Dayton Dry Goods Company in 1902. Target is not now, nor has it ever been, foreign-owned. (A French-based financial institution, AXA, holds about 42 million shares of Target stock, but that holding constitutes less than 2% of Target Corporation's outstanding shares.)
  • Although Target stores do not directly participate in the in-store collection of toys for the Toys for Tots charity sponsored by the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, the Target Corporation contributes to that charity by providing discounts to groups who buy toys for it.
  • Target Corporation has been recognized by the National Committee for Employer Support of the National Guard and Reserve (ESGR) as an "Outstanding Employer" which has "gone above and beyond the requirements of the law in support of their National Guard and Reserve employees." Target employees who are activated for military service and were participating in optional dependent coverage at the time of their deployment are eligible to continue these benefits if they so choose. Target Corporation also allows any Target team member to continue benefits as provided by the 1986 Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA).
Thank you both for your replies; I appreciate them. I did a little digging and to me it seems that some of the accusations about Target being anti-military are unfounded (which I'm happy about).

I was actually surprised this would be the first anti-Target sentiment as I expected accusations of them being anti-gay to pop up first. In that regard, I also think they caught undue criticism. IIRC, one of their stores made a questionable donation in 2010 (to a decidedly anti-gay political candidate) but they've also have had stores donate to candidates with the opposite position on gay rights so IMHO that's a matter of individual store activities that might need to be regulated a bit better by corporate.

I don't particularly care for Target. I have shopped there before, and several times I have been overcharged for items. They don't mark individual items, so it makes it difficult to keep track of each item's cost as you're checking out. They were not small overcharges, either, one was for $20! I don't have any fundamental reason for not liking the store, but I think it has something to do with all the red. I just don't feel comfortable when I'm there. I also don't care for the smell of popcorn as I enter, and I think that has to do with childhood memories of Montgomery Ward and Federal's (anyone remember those?) that had popcorn right next to the tire sales area. Not a good mix.

I do go occasionally, but it's not my first choice.

I've loved Target for at least 20 years. The nearest Target is about 45 minutes away so it's always a treat for me to go there.

I love target too. I'm a Minnesota girl and it's a Minnesota company so I've been shopping at target for what feels like my whole life!

(target is most certainly NOT a French owned company, that's just a silly rumor.)

I LOVE Target! It's the only box store/super store place I will shop. I also like their no solicitation policy (I work for a company that has one so I understand the logistics behind it). I don't like being bombarded with "buy my _____" or "donate to _____ " as I'm trying to go in/out of stores. Yeah, I'm a grinch in that area. :P

I also have a redcard - I'll take 5% off and free shipping anytime!

I LOVE Target! It's the only box store/super store place I will shop. I also like their no solicitation policy (I work for a company that has one so I understand the logistics behind it). I don't like being bombarded with "buy my _____" or "donate to _____ " as I'm trying to go in/out of stores. Yeah, I'm a grinch in that area. :P

I also have a redcard - I'll take 5% off and free shipping anytime!
I hate being solicited outside of stores too. I appreciate stores that don't allow it.

Target is doing a promotion where if you spend $50, you get a $10 giftcard. Check their facebook page out for the deal! I just redeemed it earlier this evening.