which usps shipping method provide tracking and signature for international?

Today I went to the post office to ship a bag to Australia, I was shipping it international express and they said they could NOT give me INSURANCE :nuts:, the PO lady told me we guarantee it will get to Australia on Jan 13th, so what happens after that???? What if I gets lost in Australia? Where is my protection, she did not have an answer except open up a claim, how could I IF I'M NOT INSURED? They told me they don't give tracking once it gets in another country :nuts: AND NO SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION :nuts:, well I never shipped international before so I had to cancel the transaction and I refunded the buyer. My question is how did you get insurance, tracking and signature confirmation??? Was it the people at my post office. They all seemed totally confused, I guess they are not familiar with international shipping.

You most certainly should be able to purchase insurance with packages going from the US to Australia, for Express mail you can insure for up to $5000 and for Priority Mail International you can get up to $3644 to be exact, I looked it up. Express Mail automatically comes with $100 worth of insurance, if you purchase extra it will replace that, not add on to it.

You cannot get delivery confirmation for international shipments but you can get a return receipt (one of those green cards used with certifieds) for $2.30 to many countries for certain items. All Express Mail Internationals have to be signed for unless you waive signature before you fill out the form.

When it comes to insurance and extra services it varies by country.
If you want to find out what services are offered to a country in which you are shipping you can use the same resource we do at the post office, the International Mail Manual. You can find this located on the USPS website -

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/welcome.htm

Let's say you want to look up services to Australia, look along the left side of the page and you will see a link for individual country listings. Click on the first one and run your mouse down until you find your country.

Here is Australia with a listing of prices and services available -

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ab_012.htm

Linda

Last edited:
^^^^^Linda thank you very much. I had already refunded the buyer. I don't think I will be shipping internationally, I spoke to 3 different people AND a supervisor nobody really knew anything about International shipping. My fear is I don't know enough about it to know if I am filling out all the paperwork correctly, which I had already filled out and nobody was really sure of where to write certain information. Thank you for the websights out of curiosity I will check it out, thanks again

Linda,
If I ship to Ireland via usps express mail international and cannot get signature confirmation, will i be covered by the extra insurance I purchase should the buyer claim the item was never received?

^^^^^Linda thank you very much. I had already refunded the buyer. I don't think I will be shipping internationally, I spoke to 3 different people AND a supervisor nobody really knew anything about International shipping. My fear is I don't know enough about it to know if I am filling out all the paperwork correctly, which I had already filled out and nobody was really sure of where to write certain information. Thank you for the websights out of curiosity I will check it out, thanks again

I prefer not to ship internationally for Ebay anyway, seems like there's always so much drama.

If you do change your mind in the future and want to ship internationally, would you consider filling out your postage online? You can do so at the USPS website and they will direct you to the correct forms as you go along the process. I think this might be a better bet than having your PO fill out the paperwork since they don't seem to have much experience with international shipments.

Linda

Linda,
If I ship to Ireland via usps express mail international and cannot get signature confirmation, will i be covered by the extra insurance I purchase should the buyer claim the item was never received?

Not if tracking shows it's been delivered, that is what USPS will go by when it comes to a claim. Insurance over $200 requires a signature anyway but it's viewable internally only and not online. And of course, PayPal will side with the buyer if they can't view the signature online. I have heard a member here say once that they got a print out from the post office of the signature, faxed it to PayPal and won their claim but with PayPal I wouldn't count on it.

I wish the PO would put insurance tracking online, I don't know why they don't. They have been making a lot of changes lately to step up scanning so maybe it will come.

Linda

Linda Thank you so very much for sharing your knowledge with us :hugs: In the future if I did decide to ship internationally I would definitely do it on line, but reading all of these threads it really seems like shipping overseas is so risky. It appears that no matter what the buyer ultimately would win if there was a claim that their item was not received even it was. Leeleerae good luck with you item. :biggrin:

Thanks for all of the info Linda -- I usually only ship to the US but every now and then I'll ship to Canada and my local post office isn't always up on the latest info (small town in the burbs;)) I just had someone buy something on Bonanzle and he seems trustworthy so I agreed to ship something to Canada so came onto this sf to get the latest and of course I did!!!

I know this is an old thread, but I am hoping someone (LindaP?) can help me: If I get a return receipt for my int'l shipment, will PP take it as signature confirmation?

I think a signature viewable online, is what is truly needed. But, having said that, I've won a paypal case without a signature.

I purchased EMS and the person who delivered it just forgot to get a signature that day. It showed as delivered to the right address and even though there was no signature, I still won my case.

Hi all!
Im planning to ship a bag to Canada and I accepted payment over paypal over $250 so I would like to get a signature. I was going to use Global express, but the buyer said that she is familiar with USPS express mail international and its about a $100 difference. I was planning to use USPS express mail international and then get a return receipt + insurance.
Could any one please answer my questions- I spent about 3hrs looking it up on the internet and then calling USPS and paypal which gave no answers- basically paypal said it req signature confirmation but couldnt comment on which USPS service would do that and USPS said it was up to Canada post if they get a signature or not?
1. is there anyway of having an electronic return receipt? is this valid as a signature with paypal
2. if i dont add any additional insurance through USPS would they still get a signature? my understand is that express mail international automatically comes w $100 of insurance... should I purchase additional insurance with shipsurance?
3. I know that there is an $8 brokerage fee with Canada post but will the buyer also be charged customs duty or taxes? Ive sold the bag for $300
If any one could please help me I'd be very grateful =)