Which regret is worse - something bought or something not bought?

No, HG. I'd no intention to profiteer from that sale. I marked S$1K off, for a bag that was only 3 months old, and used only a couple of times.

You said something very important. I was 'forgiven' only when they realised I didn't mark up my sale price :crybaby:

mrssparkles, omg, are you serious? i was just thinking lately that even though my collection is tiny, what if i wanted to sell one of my bags one day (not with a steep markup) on ebay, if i needed the money or just didn't use it as much or something? then if one were to mention the store the bag was purchased from, or even give the original receipt, then someone could go tell the store that one is trying to resell?

yikes....

It seems to be that going on the trial-and-error mode in the US is acceptable and does not draw comment nor frowns when one resells his/her bag, regardless of whether the bag is from the store or reseller.

In SG, that is NOT the case. We have to think very carefully if we want a particular bag or not. Mainly because demand for birkins and kellys are very high (we have a lot of tourists too) and supply is limited. That said, the stores did great sales last years, so supply *should* be more this year! Should a bag be directly from H, gets listed on eBay (unfortunately, there are customers who will act as spys and tell on the eBay seller), the customer is very likely to be investigated by H and be blacklisted. That's why I said money spent is hard to recoup. Because of the limited number of birkins and kellys around, the stores tend to be very quick to find out who actually owns the bags on resale.

I have a personal story to share, which I have never mentioned. I bought a Kelly from one of the H stores here, and found that I have the tendency to pick my birkins over my Kellys. So I thought I'd sell the one that I'd only used a couple of times, and send it to a better home.

From reading this forum, I was being naive and just dropped my bag off at a brick-and-mortar reseller's shop. I tell you, it was hell for me after that. The store found out (don't ask me how). My relationship with the store I bought the Kelly from nosedived. I took great pains to recover that relationship and lost sleep over it when I was still trying to sort things out. I took my Kelly back and never sold it. Hermes SG does not approve of reselling. Simply because when a customer buys a birkin or a kelly, that is one less bag in their inventory for the pool of customers still waiting for their bags. And it's not fair if the first buyer does not treasure the bag, and just casually flips it. From this experience, I have to be very very sure what I want. No more impulse buys.

I guess if your store is cool about reselling, there is no harm buying any bag that you've been offered, use it and decide if it's for keeps. But if your store is sensitive to reselling, you'll then be walking on eggshells. Because someone might just tell on you. :sad:

I have not yet passed on a bag that I really wanted... I have passed on a few bags and wondered if I would have later regrets...but no...no regrets...

I did purchase one bag that seemed quite nice at the time...brought her home...was so disappointed as soon as she was among my "things"...heart raced as I tried to figure out what to do...TG I was able to turn a store credit into a fabulous bag at a later date...

I have experienced more of a learning curve w/ scarves and accessories...I think I have figured out what works for me after some trial and error...

No, HG. I'd no intention to profiteer from that sale. I marked S$1K off, for a bag that was only 3 months old, and used only a couple of times.

You said something very important. I was 'forgiven' only when they realised I didn't mark up my sale price :crybaby:
MrsS, I wasn't implying that you were trying to profit, rather I was wondering if it was Hermes itself investigating and not some random customer making trouble for you.

What I find sad is someone should not be frowned upon or punished by Hermes when selling their bag. If they are not profiting, then it IMO is not a bad thing. They realize it is a purchase not for them and they should not have to deal with any issues if they sell. Why shouldn't they be allowed to cut their losses and use the funds for a more "perfect fit" in the future?

Resellers are an entirely different story...I won't even go there.

PHEW... I am glad you were forgiven!!

Bumping a very old thread...

I turned down a Kelly 6 years ago because it was too nice and felt I didn’t need such a nice fancy bag with little kids. The manager was a bit surprised that I didn’t even want to try it on. If I only I knew then what I know now… I’ve never been offered a Kelly (or a Birkin) since (insert tears of regret)…
I just realized thread is purchase regrets, and yes, I’ve had that too. I regret purchasing non h bags, and I once purchased a very bright h bag that wasn’t my style and I really regret that. I sold it and I kind of regret selling it also. That bag is riddled with regret on all ends.
Which regret was worse between those two instances? ;)

Bumping a very old thread...

Which regret was worse between those two instances? ;)

Most definitely purchasing the bag that didn’t work for me. So much uncertainty, doubt and guilt associated with that bag.

With the Kelly, I now would have told my younger self to try on the bag and fall in love… but as I don’t know what I’m missing, so it’s so much easier on the psyche.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meta
Not-buyers remorse all the way!

I've felt this with many things H and non-H and find myself always pining after or searching for a suitable alternative for the one I let get away.

For things I buy that I find ultimately don't work, I feel like I can always sell it. Maybe for a loss, but at least that way I'll know versus always thinking what-if I had gotten it.