Which Mulberry leathers have we washed with success??

I've done the deed... waiting for the bag to dry, then I will collonil gel the leather a few times. It looks cleaner at the mo, but not all of the stains/dirt have come out. My Mitzy is pebbled leather, as was the Mitzy pouch.

Have you got a handheld steam cleaner? Worked a treat for me on the inside of a very perfume smelly clipper that I bought second hand. After 3 goes the smell was gone.

Hmmmm, I don't, but I'm wondering if steam out of the kettle would have the same effect (undomestic goddess that I am!)

Great suggestion though, thank you.

I've done the deed... waiting for the bag to dry, then I will collonil gel the leather a few times. It looks cleaner at the mo, but not all of the stains/dirt have come out. My Mitzy is pebbled leather, as was the Mitzy pouch.

How exciting!!!! Fingers crossed you get good improvement when she dries. Any idea what the more stubborn stains are? I've just brought mine back downstairs for a good sniff - it's getting better, but I'm still tempted to go for it! I think it would be nice to know it's clean & fresh for "new to me"!

I think they were just ingrained dirt. The inside looked like it could be cleaner so I've washed that in the sink and scrubbed the top of the leather with the same. The bag is generally looking cleaner, which is very pleasing as its a lovely colour.

Thanks so much for sharing your stories! Do you remember which leather your Mitzy was please?

The antique lightweight leather Mabel had a shiny finish to it like your Buffalo. Maybe that's what toughens them up :biggrin:
It wasn't my Mitzy it belonged to a poster on here . Pretty sure it would have been the pebbled as the plastic buffalo outlet specials were :tdown::yucky:

Did you wash it in the machine MG ? I love my turquoise Mitzy for the summer and she gets so many compliments .

Yes, on the silk wash. Then I've gone over the stubborn stains in the creases and in the lining with washing up liquid in the sink. She's drying now on the airer in the kitchen. I love the colour of mine, it's like a seafoam green. I didn't wash the strap, just the body of the bag.

Yes, on the silk wash. Then I've gone over the stubborn stains in the creases and in the lining with washing up liquid in the sink. She's drying now on the airer in the kitchen. I love the colour of mine, it's like a seafoam green. I didn't wash the strap, just the body of the bag.
Hope it's done the trick . It amazes me how they get so dirty . Although I always feel:wtf:when I see reveals / sales of bags on the ground .

You've reassured me metalic glove. Eggplant Mitzy is going around the silk wash right now :smile: Straps had to go in too - they seemed really bad with the cigarette smell - and so dry!!

I'll report back tomorrow - fingers crossed!

It will take longer than a day to dry the leather, about 3 days. It's only then that you can tell how it's affected the leather. But, as Mitzy is a slouchy bag anyway it will probably be ok. The colour of mine looks good still, which was my concern. I will coat her with a few coats of Collonil gel to get the suppleness back in her.

I think with a good leather bag that is unstructured, there is less of a risk with putting it in the washing machine on a non-spin gentle cycle. I'm pleased with the results of my Mitzy, though removing the dirt has exposed further issues with the leather! Lol!

Have you taken any before photographs to compare?
Really hope it turns out well for you - very brave well done

Hi miss jemima & thanks for asking. To be honest, the look of it is no different - I'd need smellovision to show the improvement! Still a faint whiff of smoke, but nowhere near as bad as it was & the ground in who-knows-what in the lining is all gone - I did have to rub out the most stubborn residue vigorously whilst still damp!

The pebbled leather is great - not a hint of needing any subsequent leather treatment - all lovely & soft & supple. I have given the handles & long strap a good drink of leather nourishment cream from the handbag clinic & think they'll benefit from more nourishment yet.... SO dry!!!!

The only issue to report is some colour transfer from the burgundy fabric lining, not the leather. The pillowcase came out of the machine a bit pinky-purple & where I hung Mitzy out next to a cream towel on my airer, there's now a purple corner to the towel from the damp lining - whoops!

I can even confess to having put on lowest spin cycle as it was so sodden in the machine! 400rpm... I ended up having to hold the wooden front integrated door open for 10 mins as it was clattering so much! Good job the football was distracting the DH last night :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_20160327_213621.jpg
    IMG_20160327_213621.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 396