Where do you purchase your furniture?

GTOFan said:
LisaG719- I think they (Ethan Allen) have great quality furniture and the price is up there as well because of it. Beautifully made, quality furniture!

BUT, now that I'm getting older, and when I want to be able to change my furniture like in 8-10 years, I have to think twice coz I paid a lot $$$ (to me) for it.

So, next time, I'm going for decent quality, doesn't have to be the best!

Thanks for the feedback. :flowers: I was thinking that might be a factor. It seems like for that price they are nearly forever pieces. I would worry that my tastes might change. I wonder what their resale value is?

lamiastella said:
Really? I've heard nothing but good things about them and have good experiences with them. But I don't think I would ever go about installing a kitchen MYSELF - I would definitely pay the little bit extra to have them do it for me :smile: But maybe that's just because I'm not so good with putting things together :smile:

oh i definitely wouldn't do it myself.. not sure if they did but it sure seems like they might have at the rate things fall off. the fridge door cover thing comes off all the time.

I love antique furniture (and shopping for it!:graucho:) I also have bought a number of things from Home Decorators Collection, and I like their quality and selection. Most of their things you have to assemble, but I've always liked puzzles and making things, so that just makes it even more fun for me.

Here's the latest thing I bought from them.

Attachments

• QAConsoleTable.jpg
    QAConsoleTable.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 29
I love Drexell, Thomasville & Maitland Smith. I think /3 of my house is done in these now & I'll probably finish out the formal areas in these now. I have some Ethan allen pieces we bought for our first home & i am pretty disappointed in them. The Dolphin chairs I bought have very rough joints. I do have a gorgeous coffee table from them that has held up pretty well. I noticed that the pieces in the showroom were much better made than the pieces that were delivered to me. Ethan Allen is LESS than helpful after the purchase. I wouldn't reccomend them to anyone. I think even Pottery Barn has better customer service & the carftmanship is comperable. I bought a leather ottoman from them & it looks just as nice as my old one from EA, was 1/2 the price & is a better size.
I loooove antiques as well, my mom always scoured shops, yard sales & thrift stores & has somme gorgeous pieces. The best quality is in the past.

LisaG719 said:
Thanks for the feedback. :flowers: I was thinking that might be a factor. It seems like for that price they are nearly forever pieces. I would worry that my tastes might change. I wonder what their resale value is?
Good quality pieces can always be recovered & even altered in style, ie. change the arms, back, that's something to take into consideration.

All the furniture in my home, except the living room furniture was purchased during several shopping trips to Hickory, NC. We have found that we could purchase all the brands we wanted at a substantial savings even with shipping. The living room was my parents living room furniture which I recently had a re-covered. They purchased it eons ago in NC, as well. It's over 30 years old and looks brand new.

I would highly reccomend shopping for furniture in NC, we usually fly in for the weekend, spend the night and go home the next day.

http://www.hickoryfurniture.com/

my basics are from IKEA.. aside from that, my mom has been the one that's been providing my furniture and I know she mostly shops at little furniture stores in our area.