When should a female dog have their first pups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gris

Apr 12, 2007
I have the cocker spaniel couple and I will like to be a grandma and sell the pups in the future, but I have no idea how to do it.

So my first questions is:

• How old should the female be to have the first litter?
  • If she gets pregnant on her first heat, would the puppies be healthy?
  • How can I keep the dogs separated so they wont do the deed?
Their inside dogs so I cannot and I wont keep one inside and the other outside, specially in a 118 weather.

To be honest, I would really think about the whole breeding issue. It scares me really badly to think of the health problems the female could have.

I used to work at a vet's office and saw first hand some of the tragic consequences of breeding dogs.

I really feel strongly against it...there are just so many wonderful dogs (even purebreds) in shelters and breed rescues.

:smile:

^Well sorry to heard what you girls think^...but I will still like to know when is the right time for the female to hve her first litter, and make $$ of them.....thx anyways

This thread is going to get heated I can feel it. Try and be nice ladies as you reply. Girs, there alot of animal lovers on this board that have very strong opinions and facts to back it up. SO, be ready for some honest thoughts.
Now my opinion, if you have no idea what you are doing, and fully intend on doing it anyway, you NEED to get advice from your vet. I could not imagine doing that without full knowledge of what the dogs needed, and how to handle any crisises.

you should also keep in mind that you will need to provide medical care, including vaccinations to the puppies once they are born. it is my understanding that most breeders actually do not turn a profit once the expenses of breeding their dogs and giving them proper care during the process are factored in.

If you are doing this to make money please talk to a couple of breeders first. There is almost no profit in breeding dogs. If you have a lot of knowledge about medical issues and can do some of the shots and care yourself you can make a few bucks but for the most part you won't. Please talk to people that know before you do anything. I also agree with the others that there are too many unwanted animals to breed more for no good reason other than to make money.

For a breeder? After knowing all these things about breeding a dog: http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/breeding.html#medical_checks_before_breeding and After the dogs have all of their genetic screenings down to rule out any illnesses or qualities that will result in sick or genetically defective puppies such as these that are common in cocker spaniels:

hip dysplasia, ectropion, entropion, PRA, allergies, seborrhea, lip fold pyoderma, otitis externa, liver disease, urolithiasis, prolapse of nictitans gland, CHF, phosphofructokinase deficiency, and cardiomyopathy. Occasionally seen are gastric torsion and elbow dysplasia. Also IMHA (Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia).

For someone who has no clue how to breed dogs? Half past never.

^Well sorry to heard what you girls think^...but I will still like to know when is the right time for the female to hve her first litter, and make $$ of them.....thx anyways

OK now...everyone gave very respectful opinions that I agreed with BUT bringing more puppies into this world because you want to MAKE MONEY :wtf: and have no clue about what you are doing shows utter and complete irresponsibility. Additionally, why would you consult a purse forum?????:confused1: Call a veterinarian who will also strongly advise against breeding a dog when you are just doing it for fun and to make money.

Maybe take up a second job to make money and go volunteer at an animal shelter to get your puppy fix.

There. I said what I felt needed to be said. I do apologize if anyone is offended, but just think about how wrong this whole situation is.

I certainly understand what you girls are saying. I spoke to a lady that breeds mini cockers and she did say that it is difficult thing to do, with making sure the mom is healthy, feeding the pups, etc., which I new it was going to be hard, and I was gonna need to spend money on the vet, vacs, etc.

This is not gonna happend anytime soon, I did say I want to do it but nothing is for sure yet.

And the reason why I ask here in a PURSE FORUM, is because I believe there is a Animal Forum here and it was just a question I had, if I will have know that you girls were gonna be so offended then I will have not waste my time/yours posting this here.

So I guess thks for your comments..... I will go to my vet now.

I find that statement to be appalling.:tdown:

Couturegrl, I 10000000000000% am on the same page as you. That actually hurts me to hear something like that.

To the OP, PLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEEE do a LOT of research before you bread the pup, if you absolutely feel that you have to breed her. Talk to vets, read up on the net, talk and visit with breeders and get some books on the topic. I researched for months and months on the care of Golden Retreivers (in my case) before I even BOUGHT mine. That on top of years of experience training and showing dogs (different breeds). I can't imagine trying to breed her and not know anything about it.

PLEASE don't just breed your dog just to make money off of them. Please also understand that to most of us dog and animal lovers, that is a cruel statment.

I'll be honest and tell you this also - most animal lovers will not just buy a pet from anyone. Especially if this is your first time and you are doing it just for money. They will want to visit your home a few times, make sure the pups are heathly and had all shots, ckups, have you provide the history of the line etc. This may sound extreme to you but its very true. You would want to make sure the buyer is providing a good home as well by visiting them too wouldn't you? Not just sell the pups to the people who are willing to pay?

My honest advice to you is don't breed her. Please. Based on your statement, you really don't have the dogs or the pups best interest in mind if its about money for you. :crybaby:

I certainly understand what you girls are saying. I spoke to a lady that breeds mini cockers and she did say that it is difficult thing to do, with making sure the mom is healthy, feeding the pups, etc., which I new it was going to be hard, and I was gonna need to spend money on the vet, vacs, etc.

This is not gonna happend anytime soon, I did say I want to do it but nothing is for sure yet.

And the reason why I ask here in a PURSE FORUM, is because I believe there is a Animal Forum here and it was just a question I had, if I will have know that you girls were gonna be so offended then I will have not waste my time/yours posting this here.

So I guess thks for your comments..... I will go to my vet now.
there is no such thing as mini cocker spaniels, just a ploy to make $$, maybe that's how you got the idea you can make money from breeding. the point of breeding is to better a breeder, not make money or make it worse. you could have asked this question to any animal lover in any forum and gotten the same response by the way.

^ i know what you mean .. I did the same thing before I purchased my 2 cockers.... I love dogs and specially cockers I had them since I was a little girls and I totally agree what I said (making money) from them it sound mean and cruel....this is something that I have been wanting to do for a long long time, and no im not just gonna have them pop dogs and self them .... if I ask this question is because I WANT TO LEARN MORE BEFORE I DO IT..... and yes I will like to make money of them but that is not the only reason I want a family (like mine) to have a good, healthy dog with them.... and Im not just gonna sell it to whoever.....

When I first purchased my first dog the lady had tons and tons of questions for me ex. if i had a patio which I do, if i ever had cockers which i have, etc.....yes i know that i am not prepared YET to breed.. and im planning in getting more educated on it ....besides like my bf says I prob end up keeping all of them if I think they are not gonna be in a good home like mine.....

Status
Not open for further replies.