When Fashion Bullies Attack......In Middle School

That mother from Springfield horrifies me- I get the impression that she dresses her daughter in designer clothes as a way to display her status :yucky:

As far as brands go, I don't think it's really that important- some kids will always make fun of of other kid's clothes, regardless of the label. Being in HS, what really irritates me is the number of designer items you see that are no more attractive or high-quality than something from the Gap but are bought beacuse they've been logoed to high hell. Sure my cashmere cardigan looks smashing but no one ever compliments me on it like they do my less-expensive but more obviously "designer" items :Push:

7FAM has had a childen's line for awhile now. My neice's favorite pair of jeans is the "A pocket with pink sparklies" because she loves pink, glitter, and her name starts with an A. I'm on the hunt for a larger size for her because it's getting too tight but she refuses to give them up. It's pretty sad to see a 7 year old sucking in her belly and wiggling to get into jeans!

I think that's so unfortunate. I'm so grateful I grew up in the eighties - neon, hotloops, bright tights, crimped hair, slap on bracelets... it was easy and cheap! ALL the kids could join into the fads because they were so inexpensive. I wore TERRIBLE clothes in grade 6, 7 , 8 and even into early high school, since I just didn't care at the time and no one EVER made fun of me. I imagine it would have hurt terribly had some one picked on me for wearing the wrong thing :sad:

I guess having to wear uniforms until I was much older has its benefits :s

LOL!!

NOW I see why they did it. I always thought it was the establishment's way of curtailing freedom of expression (at least that's how I expressed it in my teenage years) but now it all makes sense.

The fashions are adorable, but too much to spend IMO for a growing child. DD's clothes and shoes stay around $10 and under, I spend more of course on jackets or holiday dresses. Right now she is growing so fast that when she wears out the clothes/shoes, they're already too short/tight for her anyway...

There is no way that I would ever buy my future kids designer clothes. Adults buy designer things mainly for the fit and quality. That doesn't apply to kids clothes. What would the reasoning behind it be? Even if I could afford to buy them all the designer clothes in the world, I'd rather buy them a lot of cheaper priced things so they have more clothes. I think with kids it's really quantity over quality.

I think fashion is a great outlet for people to express their individuality and personal style, but c'mon, Missoni/Chloe for an 8 year old? :wtf: Totally ridiculous IMO. I was happy with my no name clothing at that age, and for kids who outgrow clothing at the speed of light, I think it's stupid to drop a ton of $$$ on a single piece. Of course, to each her own, and if you're extremely wealthy, $600 for one might be equivalent to $60, or even $6 for another. I sincerely doubt a young kid would tell their parents " Mom, I must have this $500 sweater"... it's the parents desire to display their wealth on their kids back that results in young kids that look like Kate Moss/other celeb mini clones ... very sad IMO, and kind of disturbing.

Damn..I'm glad I had a uniform until I was 14. Even then on Free Dress days it was vicious. I remember the "In" outfit was Guess Jeans with the little triangle on the back pockets and Bebe shirts that said "BEBE" across the boobs, or anything Abercrombie. And shoes..definetely had to be Skechers with high, chunky heels.

I cant believe it..Chloe for kids? I guess that's cool for people who have a loooot of money to blow.