What's So Cool About Your Hood ?

Originally Posted by jillybean307
I live in Philadelphia-so:

-lots of bars and restaurants
-Center City is pretty small so it's easy to walk everywhere
-lots of great shopping, especially on Walnut Street
-only about an hour or so from the beach
-Philadelphia is only 1.5 hrs from NY, 2.5hrs from DC, 4.5 hrs from Boston-so lots of great day trips.
-beautiful architecture
-Ben Franklin
-cheesesteaks!!!

Unfortunately the crime rate in the city is insane and there's a huge problem with homeless people that the city steadyfastly ignores.
I would add the following things I Love: the food-especially the Italian food, the diverse population-I am always meeting someone from another part of the world, the museums, and of course King of Prussia Mall.
I agree about the crime rate, I don't even watch the news in the evening, I don't want to know who got shot today.
Also, we maybe slightly obsessed with Ben Franklin, it gets a little weird sometimes -you never know where he might turn up next!

-15 min away from Manhatten by Train
-Very diverse neighborhood
-ALOT of great Italian,Greek,Japanese,Thai resturants
-Bakery
-Alot of shows are filmed around here
-Lives a block away from the Stienway Piano Factory
-Friendly neighborhood
-GREAT nightlife, people travel all over for the resturants & clubs
-Astoria Kaufman Theater (Cosby show,Sesame St,movies ect filmed here)
- The costanza house from Sienfled is up the block

Rochester New York:

Cold grey long winters but beautiful spring/summer/fall
Great Schools -- Brighton is the fifth best school district in the US
Several Wegman's stores including the flagship
Real estate prices are quite low -- but have climbed some
Very easy to get anywhere -- no traffic, no long commutes
Very safe -- very convenient, good air quality and overall "green" quotient (the towns around the city itself)
Good Music (Eastman school)
But there is very little in the way of theater, shopping, galleries and few interesting restaurants. Rochester is a wholesome place to live and raise a family but it is not cosmopolitan. However, it is only a one hour flight to NYC.

Living in Westchester County in New York IMO is fabulous! It is out of the hussle and bussle of the city, but you can be in the city in half an hour. You can also get to Connecticut, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania easily too!

I can see cornfields from my bedroom window, and in early June there will be spotted fawns resting in my garden. And yet, I'm just a mile from a large, well-stocked supermarket and five miles from a major university and a vibrant downtown.

Hmm......
small gated community w/ security patrols
lots of people walking their dogs,
raquet club across the street
walking distance from grocery store, great reastaurants
15 minutes from Saks outlet (my fave)

Bad...
virtually no good shooping other than outlets- Nordstrom and the smallest Coach store in America (literally) are the best we got!

Seriously the only people that live in my town are college students or professors. Anywhere you go you end up running to a professor or a classmate, and I think that makes the town really fun! A professor will even buy your coffee for you if you end up in line behind him! lol Everybody's SUPER friendly.

I'm in Memphis, I've only been here a few months, so I don't know alot. But so far... There's ghetto's everywhere, no good shopping...I mean NONE...boring restaurants for the most part, downtown has nothing, there's nowhere to go except Beale street.

I do like Beale street, its alot of fun, We go and get "supermans" and "callacab's" which are really strong...they wont give you two at a time.
There is a good disc-golf course at a place called Shelby Farms here, which is quite nice for taking my doggy for walks. There is an excellent pizza place called Milano's here...soooo delicious and cheap.

Its really hard for me to come up with good things. hehe
I keep telling DH we need to up and move to Hawaii, my dream location.

esiders said:
South Orange-Maplewood NJ (northern NJ)
1. racially mixed community
2. good schools
3. 15-20 miles from Manhattan (30 minutes by train)
4. Nice housing stock (from brand new to historic homes built in the 1700s)
5. Kick ass shopping nearby (Short Hills Mall and downtown Millburn, NJ)
6. 20 minute drive to Newark airport (where you can fly to anywhere in the world)

I go to Seton Hall :smile: I love South Orange and Maplewood, such cute little towns. I'm actually apartment hunting right now in the area :smile: