What to do? Goyard canvas peeling after 5 uses.

cbaby

Feb 3, 2023
My husband purchased an MM Artois from me on Feb 2nd from the BH boutique, he hid it in our guest closet until March 25th when he gifted it to me for my birthday,

It’s a pretty large bag so I’ve only carried it about 5 times, never filled, only some pull-ups and baby wipes, wallet, car keys and sunglasses. It’s definitely not a daily for me so much to my surprise when I’m showing my sister how threads on the straps are already coming undone she points out the canvas is peeling.

I’ve never had a purse fall apart after such a short time and very, very little use. I own purses from Chanel, Loewe, Celine, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, YSL, Prada, Hermes…dang near every store front on Rodeo and this bizarre to experience for me. Even my Telfar and Marc Jacob’s toss around diaper bags have held up better.

This is my first(and probably last if this is their quality) Goyard, so is this normal? Handles flop over and do not stand upright on their own. Threads are sticking out the handles, canvas is peeling…after 5 uses.

Attachments

• IMG_6073.jpeg
    IMG_6073.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_6074.jpeg
    IMG_6074.jpeg
    336.2 KB · Views: 151
My husband purchased an MM Artois from me on Feb 2nd from the BH boutique, he hid it in our guest closet until March 25th when he gifted it to me for my birthday,

It’s a pretty large bag so I’ve only carried it about 5 times, never filled, only some pull-ups and baby wipes, wallet, car keys and sunglasses. It’s definitely not a daily for me so much to my surprise when I’m showing my sister how threads on the straps are already coming undone she points out the canvas is peeling.

I’ve never had a purse fall apart after such a short time and very, very little use. I own purses from Chanel, Loewe, Celine, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, YSL, Prada, Hermes…dang near every store front on Rodeo and this bizarre to experience for me. Even my Telfar and Marc Jacob’s toss around diaper bags have held up better.

This is my first(and probably last if this is their quality) Goyard, so is this normal? Handles flop over and do not stand upright on their own. Threads are sticking out the handles, canvas is peeling…after 5 uses.
It won’t hurt to take it to the boutique. They’ll either send it out for repair or if you get lucky, maybe they’ll say it’s defective and trade it for a new one. I don’t own the artois, but I have five goyards and none of them have these issues.

Reactions: c18027
Take it in, I would. I have 6-7 very different items I REALLY use, like don't baby at all, and have had no quality issues what so ever. It's not common, so I'd have to assume they'll help.
My Artois is a workhorse for me, it's a travel bag, it's very hearty.

I don't see what the issue is on the top of the bag, but looks like something punctured it near the corner in the other photo.

Take it in, I would. I have 6-7 very different items I REALLY use, like don't baby at all, and have had no quality issues what so ever. It's not common, so I'd have to assume they'll help.
My Artois is a workhorse for me, it's a travel bag, it's very hearty.

I don't see what the issue is on the top of the bag, but looks like something punctured it near the corner in the other photo.

Hey, thank you, I’ll take it in

The photo is threads sticking out of the straps from where the stitching has come undone

The bottom, sadly, isn’t a puncture—it is where the canvas has came off and the surrounding area is also showing signs of peeling. I say sadly because a puncture would be a one time issue but since the bag is peeling/showing signs are starting to peel in that area…I’ll have a large unsightly area of peeled canvas I fear if I were to wear it a few more times

I’ll upload better pictures

The handles flop to one side or the other, each handle has a thread undone on the inner part, one handle where there is a white dot—it’s starting to split and the canvas, it’s hard to capture the peeling but I tried lol

I guess it’s good to know that these aren’t common issues as I do like and planned on buying the Anjou PM

I will take it in with my husband to the boutique and see what can be done

Attachments

• IMG_6099.jpeg
    IMG_6099.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6100.jpeg
    IMG_6100.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6107.jpeg
    IMG_6107.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6104.jpeg
    IMG_6104.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6106.jpeg
    IMG_6106.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6105.jpeg
    IMG_6105.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6101.jpeg
    IMG_6101.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 67
My handles flop to one side a well, although I need them to for storing purposes.
My Anjou is my favorite bag, actually it and my Cap Vert tie for that! Update us!

You can try and take it but I had a terrible experience with their service regarding a Saint Louis bag that had cracked handles with less than three months of light use. This was about eight years ago and maybe service is better now. I’ve also heard service is better with the pricier bags. I swore off Goyard after that bag, but fell in love with the vendome and have had no issues. There are plenty of threads here with people complaining about St. Louis. However, I think Artois is supposed to be a relatively well-made bag. Please keep us updated on your experience.

• Sad
Reactions: Joeli7
My handles flop to one side a well, although I need them to for storing purposes.
My Anjou is my favorite bag, actually it and my Cap Vert tie for that! Update us!
Which size Anjou is your favorite? I want a white tote for Summer, trying to decide between mini or pm Anjou or a St. Louis pm.

The PM, its roomy but squishy lol
I’d love a white one, mines black/black
I also love my PM Anjou in sky blue. I use my Artois MM and my Plumet a lot but the Anjou is the one that brings me the most joy. The only downside (to me) is that the handles are too short for wear with a heavy jacket or coat, so it’s a seasonal bag.

I’m heading back to Paris is June and I’m seriously debating buying another Anjou or a Boeheme. We’ll see….

Reactions: NSB and Swanky
I also love my PM Anjou in sky blue. I use my Artois MM and my Plumet a lot but the Anjou is the one that brings me the most joy. The only downside (to me) is that the handles are too short for wear with a heavy jacket or coat, so it’s a seasonal bag.

I’m heading back to Paris is June and I’m seriously debating buying another Anjou or a Boeheme. We’ll see….

I can squeeze it on with a jacket, bit not really a heavy coat. Wish Goyard would give the Anjou and STL an extra 2" in strap drop!

I have both and love both equally, but I say get the boheme! It was an impulse buy for me, but I am loving it! The long strap is perfect for wearing with coats and it just slouches in an amazing way once you put your stuff in it.

I would take it in for sure. I’ve never had any issues with my Goyard’s peeling. Please let us know what they say. I had a good experience with them last year where they replaced my handles free of charge as my bag from 2016 had handles that were melting together due to the coating (supposedly a common issue back then)