What is the deal with "purse parties?"

They're fakes and police do raid them occasionally. Ordinarily I wouldn't say anything but if the organizer is super pushy like the one talked about above, I might.

My hairdresser bought a fake Coach at one of those parties. It was $100, and not even trimmed in real leather. It was SOOOO fake. Plus, I agree, why pay $100, when for a little more you can get the real thing. I've been to a couple of those parties too, and the absolute worst ones are the Kate Spades. The styles are so awful, and I see people carrying those everywhere. Everybody wants a deal, and I really don't think that there are that many deals to be had. Wait for a good sale or outlet.

:shrugs: Has anyone ever heard of an authentic purse party? I have friends that buy those bags like crazy. Then they show me and say. "I got this for $____, how much do you pay in the stores?" They try to make me feel crappy about the fact that mine are full price. I was just wondering, cuz sometimes i just want to tell them their bags are probably fake and cheap. It is rude, i know. but they TRY to make me feel crappy about my purchases. No one should be allowed to do that. Right? Anyways, are there even purse parties that are for real?

I've NEVER heard of an authentic purse party! If someone has that many bags to sell, I would never believe that the bags were authentic. If people choose to buy fakes, that's their choice. But I really do hate when they start thinking that they bought the real thing. I always have to explain to them that authentic bags that cost a thousand dollars are NEVER going to be sold for a hundred bucks. I have friends and family that do that and I always show them my real bags so they can make a comparison for themselves. Fake bags will never be as good quality as an authentic one ... even superfakes have details that are incorrect.

I think that people unfamiliar with designer labels and products easily assume that the products can and will be sold at 75% off, just like they see racks of clothes in the department stores. Either that or they don't think about it at all. Most people where I live wouldn't know a designer handbag from a Walmart bag, so if they are told that the bags are status symbols, they would likely take it at face value and not question it.

It's just a shame that they are being taken for so much money when they are getting crap. They probably have no idea about copyright or intellectual property, and no idea about how and from where fakes come from.

Thanks guys. i wanted to know if any are authentic. I have seen some pretty good fakes coming out of the parties. They are usually the same shape, but they never came in that color. Or the pattern is a little bit off. I will tell them they are fake cuz it really is just a waste of $$$$$

Purse parties are very popular here in NY. The bags are fake. I've declined invitations so much in the past that they have finally stopped sending them to me.

along with purse parties i have been to charity events where they have "boutique shopping" - vendors, mostly work from home moms - set up a table. i have seen many women selling fake purses at these events. the charity gets a percentage of sales. it's wrong but i don't think the organizers give it a second thought.

No. They are fakes and your "friends" are carrying crap. Be proud that you do not support the illegal activity of buying and selling fake handbags. When your friends try to make you feel bad, hold your head high and tell them fakes are illegal, ugly and they look dumb carrying them.

ITA!! They should be ashamed! :yucky:

Yep, they have the ladies selling this stuff at our charity events, too. It is kind of ironic that they have a charity to benefit sick children and sell bags MADE by children at the charity. :wtf: In any case, the only purse parties I know of are fake bag peddling in a house. Kind of like an annoying "candle party" or "jewelry party" or "xyz party". I hate those things. You have to buy something if you go, and here they are doing it with illegal bags. What's next, a "heroin party"?

Of all the things in the world to be put away for, I'd rather go down for something more exciting than selling stupid fake bags. :P :P Imagine that jail cell convo!
Yeah, you're not going to sound very hardcore to the other inmates if you tell them you're in for selling knockoffs. You'd probably be the first one to get singled out for a beating. :roflmfao: