What if it's the perfect Birkin except.....

Liz.....I'm in the dark about your lovely bag. Please tell me why you can't get it repaired? Did I miss your thread about this? Maybe I was away.....

Here's what I would do:
I would check with the seller if he/she is in touch with the craftsman who made it and enquire whether the craftsman would service the bag.
Failing that I would call up the ex-Hermes craftswoman who opened up her own bag design studio in SF and ask her if she would also service an H bag. I have her address somewhere, will be happy to give it to you if you want.
If it's the perfect bag and just the shooting star is the issue, I would take it, once I had figured out how to service it outside of Hermes.

SHOPMOM......NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Dont do it you will never feel the same about a shooting star as one that landed to you from a hermes store , i would also feel you may be uncomfortable bringing into the store and i dont think that is right after still paying big bucks... wait and your dream bag will be around the corner:smile:

ShopMom, you've been given great advice, I feel, even tho not all of it is the same.

The thing with the Birkin 30 is that I feel is that it's not quite the same as a Kelly 32...not exactly and I know you know it's not the same thing, but you were saying it's comparable.....etc. They are really 2 different animals...uh, I mean, handbags. They don't look the same, don't act the same....don't open and close the same, no strap on the Birkin......don't even feel the same when carried.

By having a togo Kelly 32 you're not taking away from having a togo Birkin 30, is my feeling.

BUT....would you leave the flap tucked inside your Shooting Star Birkin or carry it closed????? 'Cause, with the flap tucked in, that Shooting Star is right out there for you to enjoy and the world to see as you carry her around. But, it might get some questions started from your SA at Hermes.

I had an opportunity to purchase one about a year or so ago and passed. Just because of the shooting star. But, that's me....had it been a Kelly with the star covered most of the time with the flap when in use, I would have probably bought it ( all other things being equal )

As for repair/cleaning the bag, etc.....I'm sure you have purchased or use the John Lobb creams made by Hermes? They are great for surface cleaning the leather, and for conditioning. Unless I actually have a mechanical problem with my bags ( like the toggle that came loose on my Mini Kelly:s )or a loose stitch....I would condition my bags myself and never send them in.

As for resale of a shooting star, it could be an issue.....or it may not....depending on your buyer.

So, there are reasons to and reasons not to.....how do YOU feel about it, tho, is the question:yes: ??

I wouldn't want a bag with a shooting star, and I hope you won't get one either, D.

You have an active lifestyle and you will want that bag cleaned and repaired, probably sooner rather than later.

Don't despair! Your dream bag will turn up! Just think of how many dream bags you've already gotten in the past year. Your next one is just around the corner. Really!

HELLO......I think that's a great idea! When you get the chance, can you PM or post her phone # and/or address?

BirkinGirl.....I do know what you mean. But hidden under the tough skin of this old girl is the heart of someone who will always choose something with a "twist" over the norm. KWIM? It wouldn't bother me to have the star on the bag....especially if I could get a shooting star Cadena to go with it!!!! How much fun is that! Sort of a private joke to myself...... the problem I would have is with the service....I'd like to be able to have it serviced if I needed it.

Oh Isus.....good points! Thank you for responding to my Kelly vs Birkin concerns.

I really need to take time and think about this fully. I really wasn't in the market for a Birkin yet as I have my beloved Box HAC and enjoy her thoroughly. I'll sit back and wait and see what happens....when I don't know what to do, I usually sit tight for a while.....until the right thing to do hits me.

I would not have a problem with a shooting star on a Kelly, but on a Birkin there are more potential issues. There is more hardware and even tho I have never had a problem with my bags, I might worry about the extra hardware/strap holders on a Birkin. I think I would pass on a shooting star Birkin. I think you want a 30 cm very much, but wait for a "regular" one. A shooting star is good for someone who has several Birkins in their collection (IMO)

^ agree. I'd love to have one but ONLY as a collectors piece that I'd use only once in awhile. Not a bag in my normal weekly rotation.

IMO, it's time to rest. Look back at this year and see how many perfect, beautiful and very "Shopmom" bags you have bought.
I'd wait for a new one from Hermes and save something for next year's joy!!

Thank you!!!!! This is what the PF is so much about for me......I really love the honest and thoughtful responses from everyone!!!! Usually when I question something like this it means that I need to step back and listen to that little voice inside.......ok, girls.....I'm passing on the Birkin. And I feel pretty dang good about it!!!!!

Ok maybe it's just me and my twisted sense of liking the unusual, but while it seems the more common view that displaying the shooting star is a negative, I'd almost be pleased to have it on my bag. I admit the maintenance is an issue though.

Shopmom, I'd love to at least take a look at the bag, since you're passing on it. If you're not comfortable with listing the source on the open board, pl PM me. 30's likely too small for my needs, but it's just to satisfy my visual senses (like at meals I always have to have a good long look at everyone's else's orders), if nothing else! LOL.

Hi Shopmom, I can feel your dilemma, but with a shooting star Birkin, I'll never go for it if it's Box leather or one of those that's high maintenance. Just not worth it you know. I've a resident craftsman at my store and we are now great pals and he tells me even if I have a shooting star Birkin, he'll gladly (on the sly) service it for me (anything he can fix and not have to send in to Paris). So there you are, find a store with a friendly resident craftsman and you are set for life.

I wouldn't get it regardless of the hardware or leather. The big reason for spending the big amounts we do on Hermes is the lifetime service that comes with each purchase. I feel that I would be jinxed and something would happen to the bag for sure to make it need repair that cannot be provided by the source. I wouldn't be happy letting anyone not at Hermes work on anything.