What happened with Birkins in late 2005?

taygalchi

O.G.
Jul 13, 2006
Hi all!

Okay, I'm a bit obsessed with getting a box calf Birkin. I've been, among other things, plotting a trip to Buenos Aires (not just to visit the store, but that will be a highlight!), searching google trying to figure out if there is a time of year people are *less* interested in Birkins so I can score one in a local shop...

Anyway, Google Trends shows this graph:

http://google.com/trends/viz?q=hermes+birkin&graph=weekly_img&sa=N

I don't think this was the Sex And The City episode airdate. Why the sudden interest in Birkins around Sept 05? It didn't happen in Sept of any other year. Any guesses?

I think that 2005 was the year of the "it" bag, actually, that is when I found the purseforum, googling the paddington/spy bag...Many celebs were photographed with Birkin's in 2005!!!:shrugs:

I don't know about the last couple of months, but earlier this summer, the demand and the price of Birkins on Ebay were down on both counts.

Interesting.....

What an interesting graph! I'd be very curious to know what specifically happened in Sept. 05. Granted a lot of the gigantic fall issues of the biggie magazines come out that month, but I can't remember if any of them featured Birkins--may have to go check my file.

I don't know about the last couple of months, but earlier this summer, the demand and the price of Birkins on Ebay were down on both counts.

Interesting.....

Even though you don't see Birkins on the shelves that often, they do appear to be more "available" (this is all relative) than in previous years. With the increase in the number of craftstmen, it'll be interesting to see what happens with the resellers. I am noticing that turn-around time for basic orders seem to be quicker than in previous years.

I did a 2005 specific Trends search and it looks like it is the end of October 2005 and not Sept as I originally posted.

Thanks for all the help with this weird obsession of mine. Google Trends is addicting to me. I find myself "trending" weird things like "Howie Mandel" when I'm bored.

Angela

when did martha stewart carry her birkin to the courthouse??? can't remember the month. was it in 2004 or 2005?

that's when friends who never knew about my birkin found out how much my everyday handbag was!