What do well-dressed 40-50-somethings wear?

I'm in my 50's. As a general rule, nothing too tight in the hips or very mini. Other than that, I'm good. Current trend I'm loving, tops that are fitted at the shoulders/bust and are slightly loose over the tummy. I have found that I really like almost everything by Banana Republic and Theory. Great idea about cashmere, but avoid those cowl neck sweaters...we already wore those in the '80's.
Oh gosh those cowl necks from the 80's!! Oh what memories! Did you wear add a beads necklaces, too?? I did!!
I can not believe some of the things I wore then, yikes!

OMG, I think of my 80's clothes and could just die. The shoulder pads and big hair, the cowl necks, and, yes, the multiple layers of beads. Suits with floppy bow ties. Uggggg. Funny, I don't feel nearly as bad about any of my fashion choices from the 60's 70's and 90's as I do with much of the 80's.

OMG, I think of my 80's clothes and could just die. The shoulder pads and big hair, the cowl necks, and, yes, the multiple layers of beads. Suits with floppy bow ties. Uggggg. Funny, I don't feel nearly as bad about any of my fashion choices from the 60's 70's and 90's as I do with much of the 80's.

Oh gosh I had blocked out the 'power ties" I use to wear!!:nogood: Talk about shoulder pads! They were like foot ball gear! Soooo big. Big hair, and I have thick hair so I was loving that. Oh dear. Yes, the 80's were really bad fashion wise. Bell bottoms were cool, fond memories there.

How do you ladies of my age feel about all the tunics out right now? I got one last year and loved it. I like the way they cover, just do not want to look like I am in maternity clothes. Thoughts.....

Cashmere sweaters are always appreciated.
Totally agree, I am in the 40-50 age range and I would consider a beautiful cashmere sweater a perfect gift. Go classic, i.e., simple cardigan, you'll never go wrong, and receiver will be pleasantly surprised. Also, they are in every price group, the least expensive that I'm aware of is Lord and Taylor (or even Macy's), with a coupon around $80. Good Luck

I bought a few cashmere sweaters at Saks Off Fifth on monday. They ended up being only about $60.00 a piece. I also got some at NM last call they were about $100.00 each. I will hit macys this week as well. I love cashmere and love to receive it as a gift.:tup:

How do you ladies of my age feel about all the tunics out right now? I got one last year and loved it. I like the way they cover, just do not want to look like I am in maternity clothes. Thoughts.....
I think tunics look lovely on some people. I'm about 5'4" and a tunic swallows me up, unfortunately. I wonder if I'm choosing the right ones, though. I remember Stacy and ******* from "What Not to Wear" saying that tops shouldn't drop below the crotch line as that shortens the body. I wonder if they meant tunics too.

But, anyway, yes, I do like tunics in the right proportion.

Classic clothes! Trendy clothes with classic lines. There is a magazine called MORE geared more towards women in their 40+ years but not stodgy grandma styles. You can get some ideals from there... Good Luck!

Classic cuts in luxurious, high quality fabrics always work - get a classic style in a modern cut/color. Cashmere is always good! Also, premium denim jeans if you happen to know her fit/size. I'm over 40 and live in denim with white shirts, sweaters and tons of accessories on the weekends. If your looking to really spoil her consider a new leather jacket - there are some very cool modern styles out there now - I saw a cropped leather jacket with cool cropped sleeves the other day at I think Nordies - it was classic in a modern way and you could wear it with anything.

I'm short and I have to be careful with tunics as I don't want to apear any shorter and don't want my tunic swallowing me up. I think it really depends on the style of the tunic and if you put a belt, the outfit might look more pulled together.

Hard to say what would look best, as each woman has particular assets that she highlights. Perhaps give her a subscription to "more" magazine? A new mag that rocks and is for the over 40 set that likes to be stylish. Also Glamour has been emphasizing over 40's as well...and they recommend particular designers and specific items. GL!

I'm 51 and fairly petite. I feel like I look good in most things as long as they are proportioned to my height. I do not like things that are too low cut or too tight however, I do like fitted clothing and generally dislike loose, baggy things. I like some of the new styles like sweater dresses, cropped jackets, sweater jackets, skinny jeans, flats, riding boots,etc. I like my skirts to be about knee length or below if I'm wearing boots (but not too long). I also don't like sweaters that are too bulky and warm. I used to wear a lot of St. John but my lifestyle is more casual now and I tend to think it's a little matronly sometimes (not to offend anyone,I hope. I stll have a lot of St. John's and wear it on occasion.) I tend to buy now from almost any brand as long as it doesn't look too youthful. I do like Tahari, Theory and BCBG. It's not usually my style but I know a lot of women like Chico's clothing.