What designer has the most overpriced handbags?

^ :yes:

The stupid thing is, that if they were a lower price to begin with (let's say, around 40 - 45% less), so they were a slightly more reasonable (although, still way above the rate of inflation!) 20% more expensive than they were 3 or 4 years ago (rather than over 100% more! :wtf: ); I, for one, would not object to paying full retail, most of the time (I used to buy many more bags at full retail than I do now).

Of course, I'd still like a bargain (who doesn't?), but if I really liked an item, I wouldn't consider it worth risking it selling out, by waiting for the sales (as I tend to do, now).

So, assuming I'm not alone, they might actually end up taking more money for their bags overall, than if they price them stratospherically and virtually all of them end up on the sales tables at 60% + off.

But, I suppose the designers aren't really bothered if the retailers can't sell the bags at full price, as long as they get their cut (which is the same whether the bags sell at full retail, or not).

Although, you'd think they would be a little concerned, as the retailers will, presumably, lower their future orders if they can't sell most of them without slashing the prices.

I think, because of the recent boom in bag sales, the designers are probably just seeing what they can get away with and I think, in the case of Chloe at least, they've found out that they've gone way too far.

LV and coach for sure.

Coach is just ugly and the quality of their bags are awful. The leather is so stiff.

LV. Well, I just don't think it and their tribute patchwork bag was AWFULLL. And 25,000 dollars or whatever it was- for that thing!! It looked like a tacky piece of art.

In the end, a handbag is to carry your stuff. After a certain point of costs, it is all about image. Whether or not you will pay for that image, is what it comes down to. I purchased a Gucci messenger bag (cross shoulder strap), very simple, fabric logo for $775. Ridiculously over priced. And you know what: I love it. I love how it looks with my clothes, I love how it works when I travel (hands free), I love the feeling it gives me, and the feeling I think it projects. So, even at that ridiculous price, and I can't believe I paid $775 for fabric: I love it and use it. That makes it worth it to me.
That said, I don't usually pay full price for bags. I always wait for sales. However, if there is a bag I really want and will use, that won't ever go on sale (Gucci messenger), I will simply buy it. I use it so much and it gives me so much pleasure: it is worth it.

i used to like coach because they were affordable bags, but they've been increasing their prices lately and it just makes them look desperate. they aren't considered high end bags so they shouldnt charge so ridiculously. a $700 dollar legacy bag, cant compare to buying a LV. (not that i like LV, but i think most would choose to spend $700 towards a LV rather than a coach)

I think that most bags are overpriced, in relation to how much they actually cost to produce. I feel that it is however worth it to purchase high-quality handbags rather than cheap bags. For myself, I can justify it because I only choose classic bags that will last me a lifetime.

When I think "overpriced" the first brand to jump into my mind is Hermes. As soon as the cost of a bag rivals the cost of a cheap car it becomes a bit absurd. I was looking on ebay and my jaw dropped seeing people were paying over $10K for a BAG. Either people are in major debt or just have too much money to throw away.

That being said I think most brands are overpriced and you are just paying for the name.

I guess I see handbags as being expensive as justifiable in comparison to clothes and shoes which get worn out much more easily than purses. I see designer clothes with $300 for a pair of jeans or $700 for shoes and think those will only be worn for for a few years at most while your purse will last enough to pass down to your children if it is good quality. I guess I'm justifying the expense of purses, but I do rarely buy them at full retail price either.

I do think Fendis are overpriced though, the Spy bag especially.

I'm with all of you who talked about buying bags on sale. I don't think I've ever paid full price for a handbag. If it's a current style that's popular & at risk of selling out, I'll see if one of my trusted ebay sellers can get it for me at a discounted price, otherwise, I just wait for the sales. I've also taken advantage of the various coupon codes that are not only posted on TPF, but also available through an internet search and various other style/fashion related sites.

I also don't mind buying gently used, second-hand bags. As long as the leather is in good condition, and the lining shows minimal wear, it doesn't bother me that someone has carried the bag before me. If it's a bag I really want and it's high-priced, I know that's about the only way I'm ever going to own one.

I think in addition to the costs of production, I think the increase in sales and trafficking of counterfeit handbags is another reason for the sudden increase in prices. It used to be that only the top designers and most popular styles were faked, but now nearly every designer has seen their bags replicated and sold on the black market. Many of the handbag designers have legal teams that do nothing but fight the counterfeiters - that's an additional cost that handbag designers didn't have 5-10 years ago.

I also think that if designers stopped handing out their bags so freely to so many celebrities, that they could sell the bags to consumers at a slightly lower costs, but many of them consider their freebies to be an advertising cost, so that makes it acceptable. I've always thought that was so backwards - these celebrities who can certainly afford the $1K-$2500 price tag of these bags are getting them for free, while the every day consumer - who probably earns just a little more than that in a month - is forced to pay full price.

The thing is, it's us who enable the designers to keep upping their prices..we're willing to pay it, so they get away with it..and when it comes to a label such as Hermes, while I'm sure they are well made, half the drama about them is the fact Hermes has made them a bit exclusive..you have to be on a waiting list for certain bags, so they make you feel like you are one of the chosen few.. what a lot of crap, it's only a leather bag, for heaven's sake..

But don't get me wrong, I love most high-end labels and would buy them all if I could...just don't like the games some designers play, making out a nylon bag (Prada) is worth $700+ just because it has a rectangle metal plate on it and some of the stuff LV's come out with lately is plain ridiculous..but people are going crazy over it...

Sweet_pees, what, in your opinion, defines a high-end bag? I don't think I've really seen anybody describe one, at least in this thread. TIA. :smile:
You know, that is a really good question, and I think that what constitutes a "high end" bag is one we (or at least I) have been "taught" to think is high end..those bags sold by designers that have the big deal fashion shows every year, such as Dior, Chanel, Versace, YSL. Of course LV and Hermes would be in that classification as well.
I see some companies such as Be&D trying to insert themselves into this market with their pricing equaling or in some cases exceeding those long time established designers mentioned above...but I don't consider their bags "high end". I guess when I see the brands mentioned above I automatically think high end because of all the hype and fashion writeups I suppose... I don't really know... anyone?

im surprise here, hardly anybody mentioned Chanel?..
they are keep raising the price now....:nogood:

I was going to say Chanel myself...they keep hiking up the prices while the quality still has something left to be desired. Hermes on the other hand, has a long, storied tradition of leatherworking and making fine accessories. Chanel isn't quite there yet, although they'd like to think they are.