What bag is she carrying in this photo from the Sartorialist blog?

sure, I can explain. Megs and Vlad are the Owner's of this blog and prefer that other handbag or fashion blogs not be linked here.
You're welcome to PM either of them as it's just their rules we Mods follow :yes:

Wow--you just lost a member. So it's fine to swipe someone's photo, as the next poster did (i.e, the person who posted after me) but not credit the source? That not only breaks all the rules of Web etiquette, but it also hurts you. Research has shown that ultimately, a culture of generosity and linking will result in more hits to your site. I suggest that the owners read the Cluetrain Manifesto. (I'd link to that, too, but you probably wouldn't allow it. Everyone else, please Google it!)

No -- not assuming. It's just rude to actually post the photo but not link to it. It is my post that credits the Sartorialist blog and you removed the link. The post after mine uses the photo but does not credit the blog.:confused1::cursing::sad:

I'm happy to add the words, since you asked so nicely :P, we just don't allow links. . . I am not sure what the big deal is?
I am a member of 5 different Forums, all different topics and Moderate on 2 of them. None of the 5 I belong to allow links to other like-subject websites. . . it's not that weird.
Obviously we don't have a problem w/ mentions as I didn't remove the name of the blog from the TITLE of this thread;)

Really, truly--I encourage the owners to read folks like Seth Godin, the Cluetrain Manifesto, and Steve Rubel (MicroPersuasion). Links to the Sartorialist will ultimately help your forum in the rankings. This is why even major newspapers are now linking to competitors. Finally, the Sartorialist blog is essentially different from the Purse Forum. It is unlikely that anyone would give up this forum in favor of the Sartorialist. In fact, I would be more inclined to frequent this forum if I knew that it was going to facilitate my exploration on the Web (not keep me captive).

Also, a heads up on the reason for the edit (or at least an explanation in the edited post) would have been appreciated.

Here is the deal- we do not allow linking to other sites. This is our own rule for our forum- all places work differently.

You are welcome to credit your source- like the picture below the original did. This will still give proper credit where it is due.

Sorry you feel like this is a bad rule- but it is the way we have chosen to run the site as the owners, our moderators (like swanky) merely are taking care of things like we have asked. Any questions you are welcome to PM me to discuss. :yes:

Megs--please note that the moderator added a credit to the picture below my original only after I asked why my link had been edited and after I questioned the inconsistency (i.e., that it's okay to swipe and post a photo from someone else's site but not to link to that site) in your policy, which is not published in the rules.

Yes, all sites work differently, but the ones that last are the ones that link to others and participate in what people who study the Web call a culture of generosity: Micro Persuasion: Only Generous Bloggers Influence

Megs--please note that the moderator added a credit to the picture below my original only after I asked why my link had been edited and after I questioned the inconsistency (i.e., that it's okay to swipe and post a photo from someone else's site but not to link to that site) in your policy, which is not published in the rules.

Yes, all sites work differently, but the ones that last are the ones that link to others and participate in what people who study the Web call a culture of generosity: Micro Persuasion: Only Generous Bloggers Influence

Thanks for the educative link. However, it is our policy to disallow people from directly linking to other fashion-related blogs, especially newcomers. We have good reasons for that.

You are more than welcome to cite the source by name, but not by link.

Thanks. Your explanation seems more reasonable though it is a bit different from what the moderator and Megs explained.

Based on the research I have done on web marketing and "social media," I still believe that that links outside the site would help more than hurt, but of course, I don't know all your reasons. I imagine that you don't want the forum to be used for "drive-by" links that some unsavory folks use to get traffic to their sites.

Still, in general it is not considered good practice, and by some it is considered unethical, to take a blogger's photo and use it without permission (even with a photo credit). If you don't allow outside links to other fashion sites, you should not allow cutting and pasting photos from those sites.

You imply that longtime members can post outside links. If that's the policy, perhaps you could explain that in your rules and also instruct the moderators to share the same info.

Thanks again.

Just a note, it was not my intention to "swipe" the picture. I assumed that it was pretty clear that it was referencing the Sartorialist blog from the starting post. We post pictures here all the time from other sources (check out some of the Celebrity threads!), but now I'll be sure to explicitly indicate where the pics are from.