Wedding dress designers

Couturegrl

Addicted to Tiffany's
O.G.
Apr 24, 2006
Hello!! I just wanted to get some feedback/opinions about the different wedding dress designers.

I am waivering back and forth between designers like Monique Lluhlier (sp?) and Melissa Sweet OR just doing a more "mass made" designer like Maggie Sottero or Justin Alexander.

What is everyone's opinion? I don't want to get a lower priced dress that looks cheaply made...but on the other hand, I don't want to spend 10k on a dress that I will wear one day.

Help!!:yes:

Mine was by Christos. It cost about $4K. A lot of people would probably consider that way too expensive, but it was sooo worth it. I can't even tell you how many compliments I got on my dress, and it is the type of thing my daughter will be able to wear if she wants to some day.

BTW mine was all lace so it was pretty intricate. I wouldn't have paid that price for just another white strapless gown, but I think that it is totally worth it for some dresses.

im having a dressmaker make a monique lhuiller that i fell in love with but couldnt afford.

it doesnt matter the brand/designer, just choose a dress that you love (and if you cant afford it copy it :P )

I also love Monique Lhuillier. As for other designers, of course Vera Wang. Then there is Reem Acra, Kenneth Pool, Amsale, Carolina Herrera, Ulla-Maija, and Badgley Mischka.

I think out of those my favorite is Reem Acra with Badgley Mischka and Monique Lhuillier coming in second.

I have been looking around at gowns myself and I felt bad because they were so expensive. I figured people would really be critical and say I'm crazy for spending this much on a dress. But is it really that bad to do so?

My dress was from the Private Collection line. It retails for $1800 but I ended up paying just over $1000 because I knew the owner of the boutique.

DSC_4804.jpg

My dress was from the Private Collection line. It retails for $1800 but I ended up paying just over $1000 because I knew the owner of the boutique.
View attachment 111706
I pasted the pic here since it isn't showing up.
attachment.php

I had a Maggie Sottero dress and spent under $1000 on it, and I loved it! It didn't look cheap at all (I didn't think so, anyhow) and I liked the design best of all the dresses we looked at, even the more expensive ones.

Besides, my parents were going all out on the rest of the wedding and I didn't want to COMPLETELY bankrupt them :sweatdrop:

Also, fendihunter you were such a gorgeous bride! And your dress was lovely!

I think it depends on the particular dress and the style you want (and your budget). When you go try them on, you'll know what looks & feels cheaply made, no matter what the price tag. I think if you are looking for a simple-yet-elegant style, many of the lower priced gowns are gorgeous. The more intricate the style you want, the more obvious the difference becomes. Try the different designers on and see if the differences in price and quality match up!

I tried on about 50 gowns at different stores. The prices ranged from $250-$5K and I tried on a lot of designers. In the end, I decided I wanted a Vera Wang. I knew what styles would look best on me because I tried on so many of them. I needed a drop waist and one that didn't come up high around my neck. The Vera Wang gown that I wore retailed at $4K, but believe it or not I purchased it on eBay for $700. The fabric was just exquisite. Here are some pics ... sorry the black and white one is so huge!

Lori005.jpg

BackofDress007.jpg

i'm not married, that's a long way off for me, but i think the best advice is don't worry about who designed it or if it's mass-market; find a dress you love. follow your heart with this decision, and don't let yourself feel bad about it, no matter if it's expensive or off the rack.