Walked into Mac, walked right back out - HELP!!!

I too felt icky about MAC when I was holidaying in Southeast Asia where they employ pushy trannies over there with way too much make-up and overly fake feminine gestures. They seem to have some air of arrogance like they choose which customer to serve. If you're dressed too shabbily or too square they kinda ignore you. Sorry I'm not against MAC employing them but the staff behavior and the mental images I still have today put me off the brand forever.

I wouldn't judge a sales associate by their age but do take a deep look at their makeup. mac is intimating they are a high drama line with a strong look even their subtle is a strong subtle. I would highly recommend Bobbi Brown the line caters to mature skin. I work as makeup artist I'm only 20 I can confidently tell you I probably know more about more your skin than you do. so don't write off someone because of their age. any SA is trained in their line very well and should know in depth what products will work for your skin. I would however find some one who's makeup you like and who you feel comfortable with, let them know what your life is like and how much time you have to do your makeup. you sound like you don't need a 20 min. routine so why have someone just show you how to do that. find an SA and ask him or her to help you find a great 5 min. routine, that will help you to feel pretty and polished with the least amount of work then ask them how to take that look a notch up for a night out on the town. just remember to have them keep it simple and have them write everything down. most cosmetic lines have face charts to give you to help you remember. once again I recommend Bobbi Brown part of her lines appeal is that they teach you how to your makeup.

Good Luck!!!

Hi fellow Oregonians! :smile:

I agree, to have the SA give you a routine for everyday and show tricks to step it up for special evenings. All department store cosmetic counters give free makeovers (of course in hopes you will buy something)! And it can really give you a great idea. I love going to the Chanel trend show every few months and getting my makeup done, free gifts, and of course stocking up on new and old favorites.
Give it a try!!!!

I'm young and I dress "trendy" and even I don't feel comfortable in MAC. Their makeup style is just too theatrical for me. If you're NOT interested in bold makeup, look for another cosmetics line because MAC has a very specific look to it.

Wow, lots of Oregonians on this page! :woohoo:

I think MAC has a brand image that is a bit edgy and fun, so I think their SAs do their makeup accordingly. All makeup artists are capable of creating different looks for different clients, so I don't think it should concern you too much.
Good luck with your search!

BTW, if you don't NEED to you a foundation, I think you should keep it that way! Natural bare face that doesn't need a cover up is the BEST!

Ok, I am a MAC addict. I have so much MAC at my house but, If you don't feel comfortable in there store then is say find a counter you do feel good at. As far as foundation goes I am a Bare Essentials freak! They have the best foundation. If you don't have a whole lot of time (I am guessing if your pushing a stroller that you are a busy mom) this is seriously the easiest thing to do in the morning and it last all day. Sephora carries it. Ulta also and they have great boutiques. The SA there are super nice and all have stunning natural looking make up

I can understand why going into MAC would scare you away a bit. I get some makeup from there but it's usually tools, like their great brushes. I LOVE Chanel and Laura Mercier products. You should try Sephora or those counters at Saks or NM. The SA's won't be as crazy and showy as the ones at MAC. I can recommend some of my personal favorites to you if you would like to try Chanel or LM. I use these two brands every single day and I'm in love. :amuse: Good luck! HTH!

i see where you're coming from. the mac SAs are always immaculately made up and dressed really cute and trendy, and i ALWAYS show up with no makeup, sweats and overgrown eyebrows. lol. but ya know what, 99% of the time, they're so nice, knowledgable and accomodating that you forget really fast how crappy you think you look in comparison.lol.

i go to the mac store/counters so often that there are SAs who know me, always help, and surely don't care that i'm always so dumpy frumpy.lol

i say give it one more try, go back and whoever seems nice and not pushy, and let them give you some recommendations. it'll really be worth it! most of them know how to not just do their OWN (usually extreme)makeup, but makeup for ladies (and guys!) who want to go for other looks as well.

good luck!

I would try out sephora since they have so many brands and you will see all different ages in there. I find they are not pushy either but will help you if you ask. That way you can browse around. Also, I know its not the same as IRL but I would start out on sephora.com and get some ideas before you walk in the store. Then when you get there you'll know what brand(s) you may be interested in rather than getting overwhelmed. Good luck! One more thing.....don't feel like just because you're in your 30's w/a stroller that you are old/slob or whatever. I used to be like that too. Now I just walk in the store like I own it, lol. Half of the people you see at those counters won't be working there a month from now (no offense of anyone).

Perception is the first key that makes a consumer decide whether they want to buy or not. I agree with berryblondeboys, I think MAC is too elaborate. I think there are so many brands out there and cosmetics can be confusing. I like Sephora too because there are many different types of makeup and you can try them all...

Why don't you browse the MAC website and get an idea of what your looking for, then you could make a list of things to try when you go into the store. MAC has alot of bright eye colours but mostly it's pretty natural looking stuff and I really don't think the SA's would dream of expecting a 38 year old woman to want to wear bright colours (unless they want too of course!) Just explain you want to keep it very natural and they will be more than happy to give you free samples and to try stuff on you. Everyone at MAC is a qualified makeup aritist and they really do know what there talking about.

My dads girlfriend works at MAC and she's way older than you so not all MAC artists are teeny boppers.

This makes complete sense to me and I understand how you felt. The first time I went to the MAC counter at Nordies, I was 29. Like you, I purchased my makeup from the drugstore and was completely content with that, but I needed a pick me up. I just had a baby and was carrying an extra 25 lbs. My hair was tied back, no makeup, and I just looked plain tired (newborn and all). My husband told me to take some time for myself and do something relaxing so I decided to get a "new look". I was also intimidated by the MAC counter, but you know what? I walked right up (it didn't help that it was winter formal weekend and there were SO MANY teens getting all dolled up) to the counter and said, "I need help." Seriously. That's what I said. It was quite humorous though. I told the SA (who was probably 21) that I wanted a new look and was there for some "me time". Her makeup looked very artsy to me, but I thought it was beautifully done.

She helped me out so much more than I ever thought. She taught me some great basic techniques and tried some colors that I would not have given a 2nd look at. Needless to say, I felt great afterwards. I don't think I could have done this at a MAC store only because it's always sooooo crowded.

Anyway, I hope you try it again. Maybe start with a department store makeup counter as others have suggested. I've only gotten "tips" from the MAC counter SAs and haven't had much experience with anyone else. but they are very knowledgeable.

You know what I think it was? I felt old and out of date and well.... like an idiot. In walks this 30s something woman with her hair in a bun pushing a stroller - no make up on and I look confused.... I tried to look around the store just to see what they have, but felt I had a big SLOB sign written on my forehead... and then to try to explain I'm clueless to a guy with a hat so low I could barely see his eyes (but noticed his meticulous eyebrows) and he looked less than excited to help me... did a quick look to the girl who was chatting with two teens who were in full makeup... and I just felt myself being overwhelmed and so out of touch... How to explain that to a young fashionable girl and a 20 something guy?

Does that make sense?

I too felt icky about MAC when I was holidaying in Southeast Asia where they employ pushy trannies over there with way too much make-up and overly fake feminine gestures. They seem to have some air of arrogance like they choose which customer to serve. If you're dressed too shabbily or too square they kinda ignore you. Sorry I'm not against MAC employing them but the staff behavior and the mental images I still have today put me off the brand forever.

i think it all depends. from my experience, all the mac SAs have always been nothing short of friendly, understanding and non-judgemental. it i've never, not even once, had a mac SA try and push anything on me. that's been the case at other counters, but come to think of it, NEVER at mac. and i've shopped at mac too many times to count.lol.

i'm betting it was the particular person you happened to have the bad luck of encountering, not necessarily hiring practices or an overall angle on customer service that the brand has...

I love MAC, but it is for someone who wants a madeup look.It is my style, but not for everyone. I also like Sephora, but for a a newbie to cosmetics it can be overwhelming.
I suggest Clinique. They have great some natural colors and is likely more the look in your comfort zone.

MAC is VERY overwhelming for your first time around. I've been using MAC for over 10 years now, I'm 31 now, so at 21 I was really intimated. To this day when I go in there I feel ugly. I don't know if it's the high powered lighting, or everyone made-up flawlessly that makes me feel so self conscious about myself, when in reality I'm not at all. I think it is very important to find a SA that can relate to you. I was so discouraged my first couple times, I came home called and spoke to a manager at the MAC store, and explained my situtaion. Then she hooked me up with a good SA and I can in the next day (which was a slow day), and everything was good to go. Here's my advice, call the MAC store, have the manager or asst manager hook u up with a good SA and schedule your makeover before you go in (on a weekday where its slow, so your not as pressured and they have time to pay attention). They can explain products, etc. I have a PRO store in my area which I've been a member for years and have taken the makeup classes. Believe me please consult with a SA before purchasing anything.