Vintage Cartier Tank Louis - Question

daisy.b55

Aug 16, 2017
Hi! I found this watch while in Europe in vacation. I’ve been looking for the Cartier tank for a while now - it’s 6250 euros and from 1986. Looks like in great condition. Note the strap is a replacement leather one not from Cartier. Is the cost worth it? It’s for the watch only no other packaging.

Attachments

• 9A82FD21-B85A-4E43-9504-F38B0CFF7D93.jpeg
    9A82FD21-B85A-4E43-9504-F38B0CFF7D93.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 4AEF65CB-B5A4-4E0E-85EA-31130AC984C3.jpeg
    4AEF65CB-B5A4-4E0E-85EA-31130AC984C3.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 84
No. Not unless you have to have that particular model. A watch without box and papers is worth up to half of its original price. And in the eighties and nineties, dealers all over NY and elsewhere offered BNIB Cartier watches at 40% off or more regularly. Sometimes you could even get great deals on Rolex BNIB. I have no idea what the going rate is, but I do not think one would find the best deal on vacation in Europe. A dedicated watch forum, not TPF, imo may have recommendations for legitimate well priced deals. And, so might your neighborhood independent jeweler.

ETA: Richmonte group, which owns Cartier and VCA, owns part of a watch reseller website. I think called watchfinders. Please do your own due diligence bc I only have a hazy memory of the name, but you might be able to get a sense of resale prices for Cartier tanks. I believe chrono24 is legitimate, but I’m not sure if it’s simply a loose confederation of jewelers who sell watches or not. If you search Rolex forum plus Cartier, it should also pull up some of the watch sites/threads that are essentially TPF for watches.

Last edited:
Reactions: lill_canele
Thanks all for the advice. I’ve been looking for a while and they seem to range in the 8K mark. The strap I could switch out for a new Cartier one. Below is another one I found online but with the original pricing. I guess I’m a little conflicted 😅

Items will always be more expensive in Europe, I guess, compared with the US, but maybe there’s some tax you can get back? I believe the prices on Chrono24 are generally felt to be inflated within watch communities but there may be scope for haggling. Is the watch in good working order? That’s the other issue.