Food Vegan Parents Get Prison In Infant's Death

I wonder the baby's birth weight... just because I wonder how much weight the baby lost over this 6 week period.

Bringing a baby into the world makes these parents responsible for a helpless life. That baby NEEDED those parents to feed it and care for it- he depended on that. They are the ones with the problem. These parents are to blame- veganism aside- they caused this themselves.

If they were that concerned with their child being vegan, they should have talked to a health care professional about the right way to rear that child.

I do not think just because the parents *thought* what they were doing was right, means they should be off the hook. Ultimately, all that matter is they killed their child.

Poor baby, RIP

I do not understand this. Parents who are stupid, oblivious and cruel enough to leave their children in a hot car to broil to death almost invariably get off with a slap on the wrist. These vegan parents, dumb as they were, legitimately thought they were doing the right thing.

I can't help but think how differently the jury's decision would be if this trial took place in California versus Georgia. God bless the state of Georgia, but they haven't proven themselves to be sympathetic to progressive causes like veganism.

Again, I don't dismiss what the parents did. I don't think it was done in malice, and I don't think it is any worse than the incredibly stupid parents who leave their children in cars.

i'll preface this by saying that you know i love you, hun.

this trial got a fair bit of media attention here since i live in Georgia, and it took place in Atlanta, not out in the rural part of the state. Atlanta is an extremely progressive, liberal place despite the political atmosphere of the state that surrounds it. there is a large vegan and vegetarian community, and i assure you that these people were not persecuted because of their own dietary choices or because the rest of us are a bunch of backward rednecks that don't trust people who don't eat meat. it's simply NOT the case.

and i think the distinction between the people who leave their babies in cars and these parents is that leaving your baby in a car is a mistake, albiet negligent and completely idiotic and certainly deserving significant jail time, that takes only a couple of minutes to make. in a hot climate, a baby can die while a mom runs into the grocery store. these parents, on the other hand, had weeks to notice the SIGNIFICANT changes in their baby's weight and health and chose willfully to ignore them. as a result, they are complicit in their child's death and deserve a much more severe jail sentence. it was not an accident, they watched it happen and did absolutely nothing to prevent what was completely preventable.

The baby was pronounced dead weighing 3 1/2 pounds.

And I don't know the weight at birth because there's no birth certificate.

I don't understand. They raised two other healthy chidren on a vegan diet, so why did they change the routine?

And what will happen to their 5 and 2 year olds?

are there any reasons/evidence that the poor baby is not wanted/unplanned by the parents? that they actually did plan this and hope for people to believe that it was a "mistake".

oh, this just gets me so aggravated...i worry sick (paranoid???:P) whenever my children don't look well, skip a meal (esp. at infant/toddler stage), loose a little weight, but to see a baby waste away to death is just unimaginable to me. so cold and cruel!

I wonder the baby's birth weight... just because I wonder how much weight the baby lost over this 6 week period.

This is exactly the question that came to my mind. What was the baby's birth weight? If the baby was born at say 4 lbs, then a 3 1/2 lb baby would not look that much different from a 4 lb baby. But I'm guessing that must not have been the case for the jury to convict them?......
Horrible story. Horrible situation.

I believe the parents let their baby die because of their ignorance, and they should get their punishment. Being vegan is not and excuse for not breast feeding the baby. We are mammals, and moms have milk glands to produce FOOD for babies. These parents are just playing with Mother Nature. I am disturbed to see a practice that's supposed to be good for your wellbeing being twisted like this.

I don't think they were ignorant or stupid; I refuse to give them that much credit. They were making a personal statement and did so by starving their child to death. I truly doubt someone could watch their child waste away and be ignorant of what they are doing. Shoot them, starve them, I don't care, just punish them to the fullest extent. Bunch of yuppies.

On a side note, I thought of the Futurama poppler episode because of this:

http://www.gotfuturama.com/Multimedia/EpisodeSounds/2ACV15/06.mp3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJqU31iIf6c

But the father denied he caused his baby's death.

so what does he think caused the death of the baby? 3.5 lbs is the size of a preemie, not a 6 week old infant. how could they not take the baby to the doctor if he was losing weight? this makes me sick...so many people are trying so hard to have a baby, and this poor baby suffered because of the stupidity and negligence of this couple. i hope they get the maximum punishment.

i'll preface this by saying that you know i love you, hun.

this trial got a fair bit of media attention here since i live in Georgia, and it took place in Atlanta, not out in the rural part of the state. Atlanta is an extremely progressive, liberal place despite the political atmosphere of the state that surrounds it. there is a large vegan and vegetarian community, and i assure you that these people were not persecuted because of their own dietary choices or because the rest of us are a bunch of backward rednecks that don't trust people who don't eat meat. it's simply NOT the case.

and i think the distinction between the people who leave their babies in cars and these parents is that leaving your baby in a car is a mistake, albiet negligent and completely idiotic and certainly deserving significant jail time, that takes only a couple of minutes to make. in a hot climate, a baby can die while a mom runs into the grocery store. these parents, on the other hand, had weeks to notice the SIGNIFICANT changes in their baby's weight and health and chose willfully to ignore them. as a result, they are complicit in their child's death and deserve a much more severe jail sentence. it was not an accident, they watched it happen and did absolutely nothing to prevent what was completely preventable.

No need for a preface, you know I love you, too!

I stand corrected, actually. I can definitely see it from your perspective.

This is exactly the question that came to my mind. What was the baby's birth weight? If the baby was born at say 4 lbs, then a 3 1/2 lb baby would not look that much different from a 4 lb baby. But I'm guessing that must not have been the case for the jury to convict them?......
Horrible story. Horrible situation.

do hospitals send babies home at 4lbs? ours doesn't. they're still really tiny at 4lbs. they have to be almost 5lbs before they leave us. and even if the baby's birth weight was only 4lbs he should have gained much more weight by the time he was 6 weeks old.

So sad...

do hospitals send babies home at 4lbs? ours doesn't. they're still really tiny at 4lbs. they have to be almost 5lbs before they leave us. and even if the baby's birth weight was only 4lbs he should have gained much more weight by the time he was 6 weeks old.

So sad...

the baby was born in a bath tub so I guess there isn't a record of how much he weighed at birth