Trade-In Candidate Screening Today.

I remember RozEnix (sp) traded a beautiful Crimson Clayton in. Can you imagine throwing that gorgeous bag away? Huh.
I guess I don't give it much thought. It would be nice if they would donate the usable bags to a women's charity or something. But when I'm done with a bag, I really couldn't care less what happens to it...especially if they give me a tidy sum for the trade in.

Reactions: macde90
I think one of the Chelseas would be second. All the details on the puddler are absolutely stunning; it really is a beautifully done bag.

19c3d37c-8fa9-4dae-845f-9f6f4e7ce5fb_zps94c01550.jpg

Morning Sarah! I shouldn't have tried quoting on my cell phone! I posted without my reply and had to edit a couple of times. (Sitting in Starbucks.) I just wanted to pop in to say don't trade the puddler! You (and I) have always admired the unique details, which I don't think you'll find on another bag. The croco Collins is my pick, given the beautiful Brahmin collection you have I believe Collins will be the least missed. You don't have similar bags like your Flo Chelsea so that would be a keeper for me, unless you really don't carry it.

Last edited:
I would trade the Collins or the Dillen Chelsea. The Puddler isn't my style but you seem to love it and the chestnut Chelsea is just too pretty to get rid of. I wish they made the mini Chelsea in florentine, I would have every color.

Question on trades as I have never done one. Can you only do it if you sent in the registration card? Can they only be done in store or can youndo them via phone/mail?

Reactions: MiaBorsa
I would trade the Collins or the Dillen Chelsea. The Puddler isn't my style but you seem to love it and the chestnut Chelsea is just too pretty to get rid of. I wish they made the mini Chelsea in florentine, I would have every color.

Question on trades as I have never done one. Can you only do it if you sent in the registration card? Can they only be done in store or can youndo them via phone/mail?

aerinha: you can trade any Dooney bag bought any where at any price at any time. It doesn't need to have been registered and you don't need any receipts. Dooney checks the bag for authenticity and figures out it's original retail price and gives you a credit based on that price. You can only trade by mail to Dooney. There might be a tread on it or instructions are somewhere buried on the Dooney site. You need to send the bag to them with a letter. Then they get back to you with the trade in quote.

I am considering sending in a trade-in for the first time since 2010. I have found a few "candidates" and I'm trying to decide if I can let any of them go. :lol: Help me decide which one to send to the chopping block.

Candidate #1, Croco Collins in ivy (bag only)
662b27cf-b406-4cdb-9e44-336b96481579_zps2kklzy3a.jpg

Candidate #2, Pebbled Alto Hobo
c1350aec-53e9-49db-b865-2192a2d92c90_zps8yjedk2v.jpg

Candidate #3, Dillen Chelsea in taupe
b6e60256-c507-46ec-a9ef-cc55055bc692_zpsd8048095.jpg

Candidate #4, Florentine Chelsea in chestnut

b0a05835-e45a-428f-8386-b6dadbd803af_zpse1zzy5ss.jpg

Mia: this is a very hard decision since all the handbags are beautiful. And many of us would jump at the chance to own all of them. But here is my take..... Do not trade the Alto. It's stunning and a style I see you loving and buying frequently.
Now, for the other 3..... if the Chelsea isn't your go to handbag, since you have 2 of them, I'd trade the pebbled leather one. My second choice for trade would be the Collins.
I like the croco Collins and it would be hard to part with the Flo Chelsea... just because it's a beautiful Florentine handbag.

These threads have all the info you need. I keep them handy when I am ready to do a trade.

http://forum.purseblog.com/threads/trade-in.883584/#post-27541418

http://forum.purseblog.com/threads/sample-trade-in-letter.917376/

http://forum.purseblog.com/threads/trade-in-program.919095/#post-29059228

Morning Sarah! I shouldn't have tried quoting on my cell phone! I posted without my reply and had to edit a couple of times. (Sitting in Starbucks.) I just wanted to pop in to say don't trade the puddler! You (and I) have always admired the unique details, which I don't think you'll find on another bag. The croco Collins is my pick, given the beautiful Brahmin collection you have I believe Collins will be the least missed. You don't have similar bags like your Flo Chelsea so that would be a keeper for me, unless you really don't carry it.

Mia: this is a very hard decision since all the handbags are beautiful. And many of us would jump at the chance to own all of them. But here is my take..... Do not trade the Alto. It's stunning and a style I see you loving and buying frequently.
Now, for the other 3..... if the Chelsea isn't your go to handbag, since you have 2 of them, I'd trade the pebbled leather one. My second choice for trade would be the Collins.
I like the croco Collins and it would be hard to part with the Flo Chelsea... just because it's a beautiful Florentine handbag.
Thanks, everyone. You all make valid points and I appreciate the input very much. Now I'm thinking I don't want to trade any of them. :roflmfao: Just kidding!! I am probably going to choose the Collins or the florentine Chelsea. I have taken the Alto out of the running and will keep that one for sure.

I will call D&B tomorrow and make sure that the bag I want is eligible for the trade-in program; it would steam my grits if I mailed in a bag and then discovered I couldn't use the credit for something I want!!

aerinha: you can trade any Dooney bag bought any where at any price at any time. It doesn't need to have been registered and you don't need any receipts. Dooney checks the bag for authenticity and figures out it's original retail price and gives you a credit based on that price. You can only trade by mail to Dooney. There might be a tread on it or instructions are somewhere buried on the Dooney site. You need to send the bag to them with a letter. Then they get back to you with the trade in quote.

Thank you.

LJ--here you go. I have a very precise kitchen scale that is used for measuring baking ingredients, haha. The Florentine weighs 2 lb 11.5 oz and the Dillen weighs 2 lb 13.7 oz. They are heavy!

8d778f90-5b15-4d44-b8bd-0956c4b6a3eb_zps2pzwqwem.jpg

Hmmm. After looking at them again while weighing, I believe the florentine will be the first trade in. It has the best residual value and IIRC I got it for half price from the annual clearance sale at the Westchester boutique... so I will get my money back for that bag on a trade.

If this trade goes well I will cue up the Dillen Chelsea and the Collins for future trades. :tup: This will be one way to insure that I have room in the closet... one out, one in! Thanks again to all of you for your comments; it really was helpful and my beautiful Puddler will get to stay. :biggrin:

Reactions: RuedeNesle
Yes, I want the new Florentine Stitched-Front hobo. It's $428 so any of these will probably be a good trade without leaving $$ on the table. I think all of these except the Alto were purchased at discounted prices so I will be recouping almost what I paid for them.

ETA--I am leaning toward trading the chestnut Chelsea since it had a retail of $398. That should give me a trade in of almost $200.

I can't wait to hear about your trade experience. I forget about doing it too. Soooo, what color? That stitched-Front Hobo is a beauty. I love both colors. They will probably introduce more colors later. I believe the SA's have the fall look books and can tell you if there are more colors coming...that you might like better.