tPF Book Club: "Bitter is the New Black" discussion post!

I stopped reading. Becky Bloomwood she is not! Why I should waste my time reading about a crass and sarcastic woman who has little sympathy for people I don't know.

^ becky bloomwood was diff. i think that was the only book/series i read that had me laughing all along while i was reading it.

but for this book, it's a bit hard. i'll see if i can finish this book..

I'm sorta glad i didn't bother getting this book after reading all your comments! is there anyone who is enjoying this book?

I'm not at all sorry that I read it, although I didn't care for the author or her perspective. She was so disagreeable that in a perverse way I enjoyed reading what she wrote so that I could be appalled by her.

I'm not at all sorry that I read it, although I didn't care for the author or her perspective. She was so disagreeable that in a perverse way I enjoyed reading what she wrote so that I could be appalled by her.

lol, that's a good way of looking at it! :tup: I'm going to go read a bit now, hopefully I'll be able to get through more than a few pages - today's been a rough day (baby's teething :s ) so I've been kinda strung out and tired lately :smile:

Don't give it up yet; the whole point of the book is how Jen went from a conceited, want it all/have it all girl to a laid off from work low income modest lifestyle. I personally enjoy her sarcasim and think the humor in the book is right on.

Don't give it up yet; the whole point of the book is how Jen went from a conceited, want it all/have it all girl to a laid off from work low income modest lifestyle.

You have made a good point. She really did find out that it's "okay" not to be wealthy. The weird thing is, though, I never did learn to like her. Oh well. I did get a significant reaction when I read the book and I think that's what books are meant to do.:idea:

I started on (and almost finished) the 2nd chapter last night and I found it much better than the first - much easier to read, too :smile:

Is everybody reading the footnotes?

I've started skipping over them now, they're annoying ;)

i like this book. she's a total conceited ***** thats the fun part about it. i'm up to the part when courtney ("whore" lol) is overcharging one of their clients.

Don't give it up yet; the whole point of the book is how Jen went from a conceited, want it all/have it all girl to a laid off from work low income modest lifestyle. I personally enjoy her sarcasim and think the humor in the book is right on.

I stayed up late last night to finish it. Why exactly do I spend my money on the things that I do? "Because I can" or "these things make me happy" are not enough anymore. The section where Jen is boxing up her closet was life-changing.

BTW-the footnotes are funny!

I bought the second book when I purchased this one. I look forward to starting it.

P.S. Anyone want to buy my Mercedes?

I actually like what the footnotes say...although I don't like the footnotes, themselves...KWIM? I don't understand why she didn't just add another sentence to the paragraph. I didn't like footnotes in textbooks and I don't like them in novels.