Food Top restaurants in New York City

Cece31 said:
This is not a fancy place but serves great tapas. I always visit it when in NY: Café Español (tapas bar) in Bleecker & Sullivan

FYI: there's also an Asia de Cuba in Buenos Aires (if somebody happens to go so south :nuts: ...): unfortunately, food is a no-no except for the sushi and the service sucks, so it's not a pleasant experience

Stay away from Asia de Cuba. The food was horrible in NYC and even worse in SF. If you want spanish/japanese, then Sushi Samba (the one on 7th) is much hipper and happening place the Asia de Cuba, and the food is much better. The calamari is amazing and so is the toro roll with foie gras, beluga caviar, and gold leaf garnishings.

Stay away from Asia de Cuba. The food was horrible in NYC and even worse in SF.

i agree. i hated asia de cuba. it just wasn't very good, and it was waaay too trendy. unfortunately, i wasn't a fan of butter either. the food is so salty! it's much more fun to go out with a group of friends for drinks than it is to take someone out to dinner there.

my favorites would have to be craft (flatiron district), august (west village), and primehouse (time warner center). i've been to many steakhouses in the city: keen's, peter luger, wolfgang's, etc., but i thought primehouse was the best out of all of them. i had the best pork chops i've ever tasted in my life at craft. plus i'm a huge fan of tom colicchio on top chef. august's food was delicious and it has a cozy, romantic ambiance.

aside from shopping, my favorite activity in nyc is trying out all the new and old restaurants. it's so easy to find a place with the perfect enviroment that serves great food. have fun!

Well I must chime in on this...I am a NYC resident and definite foodie. Many options given above are touristy and you could do better based on budget and type of cuisine. I will tell you where the locals in my circle frequent. French...Joel Rubachon in the 4 Seasons Hotel (Not 4 Seasons Restaurant which is completely different. Also Payard on Lexington Avenue. Italian..restaurant of the moment is Sfoglia but very hard to get decent reservation for dinner unless going during the week. Also we love A Voce on Park Ave. South area. Classic New York/American...Grammercy Tavern...only in the back, not front room. A few mentioned Per Se and it is great but somehow I felt a little ripped off there and I do not mind paying for a great meal. Daniel always classic and good as is Jean-George. Downtown we love Babbo...Mario Batali at his finest and in Chelsea we love Budakkan which is loud and trendy but the food is stellar. Also like Batali/Bastinich restaurant Del Posto. Love Craft (not Craft steak) and Unions Square always reliable. If you really want to be fussed over and have a true high end experience I recommend Joel Rubachon...very, very special. Have fun..another tip...if it is the summer we New Yorkers head out of town so you may be able to get a reservation at places you normally could not on the weekend but during the week should not be an issue during the summer. Also, most restaurants will not take them more than a month in advance.

My absolute favorite is La Grenouille. It is the epitome of elegance. The flower arrangements are incomparable,the china is a beautiful celadon pattern from Bernardaud.
The ladies room is so stunning, you want to linger;but it may be hard as it is one person only.
The food is flawless, fabulous,and delicious.
The service impeccable!
You can dress to the nines and wear your important jewellery;you will not feel over dressed.
You can also wear business attire and not feel under dressed.
It is perfection!

i agree. i hated asia de cuba. it just wasn't very good, and it was waaay too trendy. unfortunately, i wasn't a fan of butter either. the food is so salty! it's much more fun to go out with a group of friends for drinks than it is to take someone out to dinner there.

my favorites would have to be craft (flatiron district), august (west village), and primehouse (time warner center). i've been to many steakhouses in the city: keen's, peter luger, wolfgang's, etc., but i thought primehouse was the best out of all of them. i had the best pork chops i've ever tasted in my life at craft. plus i'm a huge fan of tom colicchio on top chef. august's food was delicious and it has a cozy, romantic ambiance.

aside from shopping, my favorite activity in nyc is trying out all the new and old restaurants. it's so easy to find a place with the perfect enviroment that serves great food. have fun!

I want to third this... I've given it three chances and hated it

For special occasions, here are my recs in order of preference:

1) Le Bernardin - fabulous seafood and one of the top restaurants in the city
2) Daniel - impeccable service and absolutely gorgeous dining room, again one of the top restaurants in the city. AND they give you a little stool for your purse!
3) Per Se - haven't been yet because it's nearly impossible to get reservations!
4) Jean Georges
5) Bouley

I wouldn't recommend Nobu - service is only so-so and it is overpriced for what it is. Also wouldn't recommend Babbo unless you are OK with a loud and crowded atmosphere - service was also only so-so.