Thoughts on this diamond......

I care more what the diamond looks like than what the paper says....I'm wearing the diamond, not the paper!

Then why in the world are you soliciting our opinions on the statistics of this stone? I'm confused. :shrugs:

If you found the ring of your dreams, then you don't need us to validate your opinion. Get it if it makes you happy! That's all that matters in the end.

Then why in the world are you soliciting our opinions on the statistics of this stone? I'm confused. :shrugs:

If you found the ring of your dreams, then you don't need us to validate your opinion. Get it if it makes you happy! That's all that matters in the end.

I'm just inquiring on a diamond, and I was speaking in general about diamonds/paper. It seems to me that alot of you care more about the paper than what the diamond LOOKS like. Sorry to have bothered you!

My sister-in law has a 1.7ct ,J color ,excellent cut, round brilliant and boy does that sparkle. If she would put it next to a D or E, yea you would be able to tell the difference but chances are rare. The cut factor plays a BIG part in making the diamond. Make sure you see a lot more options before you decide.

I'm just inquiring on a diamond, and I was speaking in general about diamonds/paper. It seems to me that alot of you care more about the paper than what the diamond LOOKS like. Sorry to have bothered you!

Did you forget what your original post was?

TITLE: Thoughts on this diamond ....

Here is the info:

GIA cert.
round brilliant
measurements: 10.50x10.64x6.14
weight: 4.15 ct
depth: 58.1%
table 63%
girdle: thin to medium
culet: small
polish: good
symmetry: good
clarity: VS1
color: J
fluorescence: none

I feel like I'm trying to read Greek....LOL Any/all help would be greatly appreciated!

We interpreted the "Greek" for you and gave you our "thoughts on this diamond". You got exactly the help you asked us for. You did not post a photo and ask us if you thought it was "pretty". And now you bash us? Amazing. See my signature.

luv my bags, have you seen this stone?? If it sparkles, dances and conducts it's own orchestra of light, and makes your heart sing....then....

On paper, the table is a little large and the depth a little shallow. But, again, these are just numbers. If the diamond pleases....then....

But you or someone you trust needs to see it.

Did you forget what your original post was?

We interpreted the "Greek" for you and gave you our "thoughts on this diamond". You got exactly the help you asked us for. You did not post a photo and ask us if you thought it was "pretty". And now you bash us? Amazing. See my signature.

Ummm, why would I forget what I originally posted?? Are you kidding? I bashed you? No, you really didn't "interpret" the greek, I don't see one post that tells me what all that means....I was told to get a smaller diamond with a better cut. Not really an interpretation, just an opinion. The measurements, table, girdle, etc still don't really make sense to me. I thought this was a place to get help...guess I was wrong. Well not completely wrong, there are very helpful people on this board.

luv my bags, have you seen this stone?? If it sparkles, dances and conducts it's own orchestra of light, and makes your heart sing....then....

On paper, the table is a little large and the depth a little shallow. But, again, these are just numbers. If the diamond pleases....then....

But you or someone you trust needs to see it.

Yes, I've seen it....and to me it "looks" great. Of course I will have it checked out by someone that is more qualified than I (if it gets that far) to know if I'm getting a good diamond (don't need perfect) at a good price. What is a better table, or depth? I have tried to look up what those exactly mean, and haven't been able to find anything online. Thank you for your thoughts, I appreciate it. =)

Have you thought of posting the info at pricescope.com too w/ your questions? I love lurking there- those people know so much about diamonds- and lots of eye candy too!

I didn't say I care more about the paper, obviously what YOUR eye sees is far more important:yes:
But we were asked our opinion based on the "paper". . . most of us are just trying here:smile:

There's a loose "ideal specs" list I can post , take it or leave it:
ideally:
table 53-57
Depth 59-62
Girdle thin-med
Pavillion angle 40.7-40.9
Crown angle 34-35

but again, noen of this means jack if the diamond doesn't make you giddy.

My opinion was/is that I want a whiter than J diamond and I want the cut to be impressive, if this means I get a smaller gem, that's okay:yes:

Here is the info:

GIA cert.
round brilliant
measurements: 10.50x10.64x6.14
weight: 4.15 ct
depth: 58.1%
table 63%
girdle: thin to medium
culet: small
polish: good
symmetry: good
clarity: VS1
color: J
fluorescence: none

I feel like I'm trying to read Greek....LOL Any/all help would be greatly appreciated!

Ok, my honest opinion is that when you want a big stone but you have a tight budget, there is not a lot of choice. Its not always possible to cherry pick each and every part of the diamond. Well, this was my experience anyway!

If you could cherry pick, I would go much whiter in color and go down in clarity. That being said my Mum has a 3 carat princess which looks mighty but is not as white as it could be. But it still holds its own and looks very blingy.

For more info go to Pricescope.com where you can learn more about cut.

The way I see it, a carat can range in price from below $5000 to over $30,000, and a 4 carat can easily cost in the hundreds of thousands. I have no illusions about what I sacrificed to get my 4 carat, and I am very happy with the way things turned out. The day I want the `absolute best` will always be for my health, dental & cosmetic proceedures, legal work and schooling for my kids.

Things like jewellery are for my frivolous enjoyment and I choose what I want to spend and then go for it!!!! I see no high ground going for a small well cut diamond or an average large one, its all just a choice, and not a very life changing one either!!!!! I do admire a fantastic cut, but the overall look is about many things.

There is a tape on Pricescope where people in the street have to choose the better cut diamond from an average one. Most cant tell the difference, although there is a difference. FWIW, only 10% of diamonds are above average cut.

In the end, you have to please yourself and follow your own goals. It is lucky that we all want different things because thats what makes life interesting.

I didn't say I care more about the paper, obviously what YOUR eye sees is far more important:yes:
But we were asked our opinion based on the "paper". . . most of us are just trying here:smile:

There's a loose "ideal specs" list I can post , take it or leave it:
ideally:
table 53-57
Depth 59-62
Girdle thin-med
Pavillion angle 40.7-40.9
Crown angle 34-35

but again, noen of this means jack if the diamond doesn't make you giddy.

My opinion was/is that I want a whiter than J diamond and I want the cut to be impressive, if this means I get a smaller gem, that's okay:yes:

Swanky,
I agree that if it makes ME happy then it's worth it. Just like if you guys said it's a great diamond but I didn't LOVE it then it's not worth it. I just didn't like the fact that the other poster was being rude. I was referring to other posts when I said the diamond vs paper (not my op). Also, yes I asked what you're thoughts were, but also stated that I didn't really understand all the things on the GIA cert. (ie: measurements and how that pertains to a "good" diamond, grade, girdle, etc....). So simply saying "it needs to have a better cut" doesn't really help me out in the long run...know what I mean? I don't want to have to come on here and ask the same questions just on different diamonds...guess I was looking for explanations, or diamond "education"! ;) Thank you for your opinions, and for what it's worth, the actual "cut" on this diamond is "very good".....again, not sure that matters!? :shrugs: I'm not sure what the pavillion angle or crown angle is....should I find that out, or not really?

Thanks again for your help! :yes:

Ok, my honest opinion is that when you want a big stone but you have a tight budget, there is not a lot of choice. Its not always possible to cherry pick each and every part of the diamond. Well, this was my experience anyway!

If you could cherry pick, I would go much whiter in color and go down in clarity. That being said my Mum has a 3 carat princess which looks mighty but is not as white as it could be. But it still holds its own and looks very blingy.

For more info go to Pricescope.com where you can learn more about cut.

The way I see it, a carat can range in price from below $5000 to over $30,000, and a 4 carat can easily cost in the hundreds of thousands. I have no illusions about what I sacrificed to get my 4 carat, and I am very happy with the way things turned out. The day I want the `absolute best` will always be for my health, dental & cosmetic proceedures, legal work and schooling for my kids.

Things like jewellery are for my frivolous enjoyment and I choose what I want to spend and then go for it!!!! I see no high ground going for a small well cut diamond or an average large one, its all just a choice, and not a very life changing one either!!!!! I do admire a fantastic cut, but the overall look is about many things.

There is a tape on Pricescope where people in the street have to choose the better cut diamond from an average one. Most cant tell the difference, although there is a difference. FWIW, only 10% of diamonds are above average cut.

In the end, you have to please yourself and follow your own goals. It is lucky that we all want different things because thats what makes life interesting.

VERY, VERY well put. The fact is, we could afford a VERY top of the line diamond, but it's not really where I want to put that money....we do have 4 kids to think about. I could NEVER justify having over 150k on my HAND!!! ;P

Thanks for your input!

hi there,
i just wanted to go against the grain a little here and tell you that i have a 3.79 J vvs2 round brilliant and it's GORGEOUS. when the jeweler unfolded the paper the diamond was resting in, it "sang" to me, if that makes any sense? my only suggestion is that holding it up to my D color diamond earrings, you obviously see a difference(although many "regular" jewelry owners still wouldn't notice much) so if you are adding sidestones, or a band, i would use a lower color range H-I-J range. if it's a well cut stone and it is YOU, go for it. we have five children and they come first. i am blessed to have a few special jewelry pieces. i am becoming much more picky as i have learned more about diamonds and gemstones so i will wait longer for what i want in the future.
i say go for it, get that bad boy set in a knockout setting and enjoy it! from one mom of a big family to another, you've earned it and you deserve it! happy holidays:smile: