Food Thoughts on eating lobster and foie gras - cruel or not?

rosieroseanna

Spenderella
O.G.
Dec 9, 2006
I was just wondering what most peoples thoughts were on boiling lobster and eating foie gras. I have never eaten lobster as I have always thought it to be cruel and I don not eat foie gras either. My mother in law is an animal lover and won't buy anything that is tested on animals but she eats foie gras and lobster and my fiance wants foie gras on out menu for our wedding next summer ( I do not want this and think it will be a wasted dish anyway as I think most people will not choose it).

Anyway I have been googling about lobsters and apparantely the squealing they do when being bolied is actually gases leaving their bodies not them squealing. Also, scientists say they don't feel pain as they have no brain. I was just wondeirng what the general consensus is?

I don't have a problem with eating lobster but I do realise foie gras is kinda cruel.
I eat both because they are so good. Sometimes you just don't want to think about it too much. Lots of people eat chicken, beef, fish and those animals were killed too...

I do have a lot of respect for people who really care and are very carefull with the products they buy/eat. I'm just not like that...

Reactions: BleuSaphir
This is going to sound naive of me-but, what is cruel about foie gras? I have never had it.

Selena is right. This website gives more information. It's very interesting:

Delicacy of Despair: http://www.gourmetcruelty.com/inv.php

About Foie Gras

Foie Gras—French for fatty liver—is the grossly enlarged liver of a duck or goose. Medically known as hepatic lipidosis, foie gras is a disease marketed as a delicacy. Birds raised for this gourmet cruelty are force-fed enormous quantities of food through a long metal pipe three times a day. This process of deliberate and painful overfeeding continues for up to a month, by which time the birds’ livers have swelled up to twelve times their healthy size.

^^^^ ohhhh. A disease marketed as a delicacy, sure doesn't make it sound good any more.
I heard Lobsters don't have a central nervous system, cause they don't have a spine> maybe someone else can clarify this.

Selena is right. This website gives more information. It's very interesting:

Delicacy of Despair: http://www.gourmetcruelty.com/inv.php

About Foie Gras

Foie Gras—French for fatty liver—is the grossly enlarged liver of a duck or goose. Medically known as hepatic lipidosis, foie gras is a disease marketed as a delicacy. Birds raised for this gourmet cruelty are force-fed enormous quantities of food through a long metal pipe three times a day. This process of deliberate and painful overfeeding continues for up to a month, by which time the birds’ livers have swelled up to twelve times their healthy size.

That practice is quickly going out of style. A good portion of American made foie-gras is completely natural, no "force feeding". If you're going to buy it, just check your source if you care about how the animal is raised. Mind you, there are several European brands that still force-feed.

If you're not going to eat lobster, you might as well not eat crab, clams, fish, pork, etc. They all die swiftly and suddenly- lobsters die fairly quickly at mildly warm temps, so they die extremely quickly after being submerged in boiling water. Lobsters are invertebrates and lack a complex nervous systems; theirs are very primitive compared to ours, so the pain threshold is different.

I eat lobster all the time. Living the Keys its just like a midwest person having a steak...(generaliztion ofcourse, but you know what I mean) I would rather have pate then foie gras.
But I love both.

I love lobster and crabs and only buy them when they're alive. I also have no problem steaming them "alive". Same goes with clams. I buy them while they're still alive and cook them while they're still alive. They're best eaten this way. If they're already dead before you cook them, you could get sick and they also taste nasty:yucky:

I never had foie gras nor have any desire to eat it, don't care for liver.

I love lobster. I don't feel bad eating shellfish. They aren't warm fuzzy sensitive creatures. They're barely a step up from insects when you think about it...

I don't eat fois gras or any organ meat, because I think it's gross. I'm not a picky eater, but I have a hard time with meat in general. I was a vegetarian for a long time, so I still have this terrible guilt about killing animals. I can't eat pork at all, because I read that pigs are smarter than dogs :sad:

I dunno... I think eating any meat is cruel on some level since the animal has to be killed to be eaten. It's what we're willing to accept. I'll eat lobster, but I refuse to eat foie gras and beef. I refuse to let myself see the cruelty with other animals because then I wouldn't be able to eat any kind of meat.