They voted for fakes!!!

I love how buyers of fakes can condemn designers and their prices in one breath and then carry a look-alike bag so they appear to have paid lots of money for something they condemned! They cannot condemn the original if they are striving to pretend to carry one!

Exactly. I have a very good friend who just bought an LV denim speedy. I read her the riot act about all that is wrong. I told her why doesn't she just go get Coach or Kate Spade and get something authentic for the same price she paid for the fake. She told me she doesn't like Coach or Kate Spade. We actually got into a huge argument about it.

So for the last week I keep bombarding her email with articles about terrorism, child labor, etc information. I have not seen the monstrosity yet, but I told her please don't embarrass me by bringing it out if I am with her. I told her I will walk away from her if she does. Plus, she told me she didn't think it would bother me so much! Hello!?! Every time I am out with her, I point out fake bags. I told her educate herself on what she is funding and then talk to me.

Well maybe they have a different mindset - probably it is not a purse-obessed forum like us ;)

If they were to compare a bag with a car... then they are probably the type who wouldn't want to spend that much money on a bag - and they probably won't appreciate it like we would.

I totally agree with everyone.

I was wondering if i could get some links about these articles condemning fakes? I've read some but this topic does fascinate me since the market is so good for fakes and I would love to educate others with some more articles!!!

To be honest I'm not sure I buy the info that fakes support child labor, terrorism or the drug trade. But they are undoubtedly a copyright violation and to my mind, just tacky. Buy nice quality that you can afford, not a cheap knockoff of something you can't.

Authentic of course! If I wanted a cheaply made bag I would go to a discount store and get an unknown brand. (The reason I got into higher priced bags was originally the quality of the cheaper ones)

To be honest I'm not sure I buy the info that fakes support child labor, terrorism or the drug trade. But they are undoubtedly a copyright violation and to my mind, just tacky. Buy nice quality that you can afford, not a cheap knockoff of something you can't.

Child labour is a factor in pretty much half of the stuff sold on the high street, so you can guarantee that it's a factor in the production of fakes. Most fakes come from China, where there is no intellectual property law. Given that selling the goods in overseas markets is usually illegal, it tends to be associated with other criminal activity. How do they manage to get the goods through customs? Either customs are incredibly thick, or the goods are coming in via other channels e.g. the same way as drugs.

Not only do fake bags go to fund terrorism and drug manufacturing they also go to fund other counterfeit businesses such as fake airplane parts..........now that is VERY scary!!

I listened to a radio programme all about the counterfeiting industry and handbags are really just the tip of the iceberg. Their are counterfeit prescription drugs, car parts, childrens toys, cosmetics and not even all of these are high value items.......it scares the hell out of me!

My conscience wouldn't allow me to buy this stuff. I do understand that for some they believe a fake is better than having nothing at all but I wholeheartedly disagree. I've not always been in the position to drop £500+ on a bag but I bought to my spending limit and shopped frugally.

Anyone who doubts the claims of where the money goes needs to wake up

Do you have any references about the criminal activity related to counterfeit bags? I'm not saying I disbelieve it, but I have never heard of it anywhere but this forum.

Honestly though I don't think it matters much. I would never buy one or encourage someone else to buy one for my own personal reasons. Isn't that good enough?

Do you have any references about the criminal activity related to counterfeit bags? I'm not saying I disbelieve it, but I have never heard of it anywhere but this forum.

Honestly though I don't think it matters much. I would never buy one or encourage someone else to buy one for my own personal reasons. Isn't that good enough?

Try googling it. There have been lots of articles about it - there was a big article in one of the UK broadsheets last year.

http://fashion.about.com/cs/tipsadvice/a/fakingit.htm
http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news/2191330/detail.html

Child labour, criminal gangs and terrorism don't matter? :wtf: