The Purse Forum $1,000 Bag Giveaway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have several "jobs"...on a good day they're great, on others, well they just plain suck.
Job #1: Intervention assessor
Why it sucks: I get to go to public/low income housing projects to assess the development of young children born to teenage "high-risk" mothers. Each visit is different but I have come out of homes with fleas on my clothes (I keep a spare set of clothing in the back of truck...I have run through a sprinkler once to rinse off before getting in car!), have seen homes with roaches, mice, and more. I have seen drugs out in plain view of children, have called authorities for suspicions of abuse, have witnessed abuse (spousal & child), have had cases of borderline maltreatment that wasn't enough evidence to call authorities but knew in my heart there was. I have been in homes where you cannot see the floor because of the filth (food and more), kitchens where the dishes are piled on the floor collecting god knows what, where the beds have no sheets/blankets, no working toilets, and worse.
Basically the saddest, most depressing job ever (and I get to go off to another one this week). :sad:
Sometimes though (I've only had it once) you get a mom who has it together....works full time, goes to high school full time, keeps a clean house, and really tries. Those assessments make it worth it:smile:
This job is done for no pay...but for research experience!

Job #2: slave (which should be the title on my paystub I get every 2 weeks - job titled this way to maintain anonymity )
Why it sucks: Oh I could list the reasons on and on. One of the people I work with is an older gentleman, who I think travels around with his typewriter from 1935. He is completely computer illiterate. I email him and it takes 3 days to get a response because of the complex process for him to respond:
Step 1: Try to figure out how to turn on computer. Find "print" button.
Step 2: Print it out, walk down hallway to retrieve.
Step 3: Read email. Handwrite response.
Step 4: Deliver to secretary to type out response and email to me (this step gets held up when she can't writing his handwriting).
3 days later I get response....meanwhile what was in his reply asked me to finish task 2 days ago!
This same process also occurs when I have to do revisions for book chapters, etc....except I get the joy of reading the illegible handwriting.

Still part of this job: THE COWORKER FROM :censor: . So she's a little younger than me (her parents still pay her car payment). Every single day I get an email asking me: "did you finish that task yet?" "how did you do it?" "what do you think I should do". I typically complete all of my tasks and then just finish hers so that we don't get into trouble. When in meetings with the boss she constantly interrupts me in her annoying chipper "Delta-Delta-Delta!" voice, and has this annoying habit of always placing her palms up when speaking.

I get "paid" but it is much lower than minimum wage!

There is more, but then I would be giving away where I work lol

I DESERVE A BAG BECAUSE: I am a nurse that works every weekend and every holiday sitting at a desk for 10 hours a shift listening to peoples medical problems. The list of medical problems range from ERECTILE DYSFUCTION, TO RECTUM PROBLEMS AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN. ONCE I WAS ASKED OUT ON A DATE BY A MALE WITH SORES ALL OVER HIS PENIS. I DESERVE A RAISE, BUT A NEW BAG WOULD DO! THE CHAIR THAT I SIT IN IS HELD TOGETHER WITH DUCK TAPE AND HOMEMADE PATCHES THAT A DEAR CO-WORKER PATCHED ON BECAUSE THERE WAS HOLES ALL OVER THE SEAT AND BACK. THE COMPUTOR EQUIPMENT IS ANTIQUATED, HALF THE TIMES DOESN'T WORK. I DESERVE A BAG BECAUSE I NEVER WON ANYTHING IN MY LIFE AND I WANT TO WIN NOW. :nuts:

jillybean307 said:
There are a lot of examples I could give about why I deserve to win. For example, I could tell about how prior to my arrival, my boss went through 8 assistants in two years (As of 7/19 I hold the record at two years. Clearly, there’s something wrong with me as well). I could tell you all about how during the interview process I was told by the higher ups that my boss was the most evil person alive, and that if I didn’t cry in the first week, I’d be okay, but that they’d write me a nice letter of recommendation no matter what. I could tell about the week when she tore apart my work because I used state initials (you know, like NJ for New Jersey and NY for New York) on my forms because she decided she couldn’t be bothered to remember what the initials stood for, or how a week later she decided it took too long to read the entire state name and then tore apart my work again for using the entire state name.

No. No. No. Those don’t really give you the real idea of what my boss is like. Those could be examples from any random bad boss. We all have those. What I have is-oh so much worse.

My boss lacks…uhm how do I put this...Any sense of public decorum or awareness of others around her or that others around her might not want to hear the most personal details of her life. She answers every call on speaker phone with the door to her office wide open. If I go to shut her door, she tells me the door is to remain open At! All! Times! Don’t think I haven’t tried. Calls from clients, calls from her lover (oh, that’s a whole other story), feuds with family members, and-yes even calls from her gyno.

My job sucks worse than anyone else’s because I have the honor and joy of hearing about my boss’ vagina on a regular basis. There. I said it. It’s kind of like your first AA meeting-just admitting it is a huge step toward the healing process.

This is my example, I take no responsibility for any nightmares you may have. A few months ago I was working at my desk when all of a sudden I hear, “Well, it’s a burning sensation when I urinate. And a discharge. I have a thick vaginal discharge.” :throwup: Now, even if you’re a pro at ignoring calls, like I am, it’s damn hard to ignore the phrase ‘vaginal discharge.’ It’s just one of those attention getters. All heads swiveled toward my boss’ office. We can’t exactly hear what the doctor is saying (at least he kept his voice low), but everyone around my office can hear her. “Oh, a UTI. Okay. Well, yes one more question-I was planning on having sexual intercourse tonight, can I still do that?”

*shudder*

A free handbag would be nice, but I’ll also accept donations for all the therapy I need because of her.
Jillybean, it freaks me out to know that all this is taking place in our very own tri-state area, this woman is totally disgusting. Eew! (if that's a word!)

I had to quit my job due to medical reasons (in May I started having heart palpitations and discovered I have an arrhythmia that was causing me to nearly black out), and now I don't have a job, plus I have $5000 debt from emergency room and doctor's visits, not to mention my usual bills.

FIRST OFF, CAN I JUST SAY PERIODONTAL ABCESS! for those of you who dont know what periodontal is...it's basically advanced gum disease. an abcess is puss coming out from deep below your gums.:wtf:

no i dont have any but i did see, smell and treat someone with 4 of them today. i am a dental hygienist. i work in the darkest, dirtiest place on earth...THE HUMAN MOUTH! :yucky: i realize i choose this, but today was overwhelmingly revolting. beside the fact that every patient i saw today reminded me of what i saw in africa doing humanitarian work. (that is the worst of the worst folks) ....but i was made to work 9 hours with no break.

i would tell you more...but you might want to :throwup:

even though i help people, everybody says how much they hate being there...which makes me feel like they hate me. :sad:

please let me know i am loved :love: with a beautiful new handbag.

if you need more convincing i can post pics....hehe just kidding.

I work in a pharmacy as a pharmacy technician. I am ready to actually find a new job in my biology degree that I just got in May. Anyway, people who come to the pharmacy are sick and are already agitated from not feeling well and having to wait for the doctor. Well, when I present to the customer that they have a $2500 deductible and their prescription costs $100 even after running through insurance the patient is pissed off! The patient doesn't understand why the cost is so high even when they have insurance. I try to explain what a deductible is if the patient doesn't know and how it contributes to their copay later. Then I get blamed for running the claim incorrectly and the patient tells me to go back and re-run it. I can understand if this is all new to the patient and I am willing to try again to put them at ease especially if they're nice and understanding about it but when you are yelling at me and telling me I don't know how to do my job, it is insulting.

Insurance companies also make it hard for pharmacies when they change their formulary list (the drugs they cover) and don't tell the patient. One month a patient's Lipitor, for instance, would be covered and the next month it is no longer covered b/c it is not on the formulary list anymore and the patient has to pay $150 bucks. How do you go about telling a patient, "Your insurance no longer covers this drug so you can pay out of pocket or we can request a prior authorization from your doctor to get it paid for or send a different rx for a different drug" Well, the patient is of course outraged and again yells at me for not doing the claim correctly because it was paid last month by the insurance. It makes no sense that it is not covered this month. On top of that, trying to explain to the patient the process of a prior authorization at that point is very difficult because some patients don't know why it has to be done in the first place if the doctor prescribed it but just b/c the doctor prescribed it doesn't mean it would be covered. One time, an elderly lady nearly made me cry b/c all her meds came out to be $300 b/c she had reached what we call a doughnut hole in her medicare part d plan where she paid a low cost at first for her meds but now had to pay the full amount in the middle of her plan until her deductible is reached to get a low co-pay again at the end.

Then there are some patients who are part of medical assistance that abuse the system. The copay are usually $1 for generic and $3.00 for brand. They know they are not required to pay by law and say they do not have the money to pay for their medication. If I try to attempt and ask for a payment they say I am denying them of their meds yet they are holding a cup of starbucks or carrying their LV purse.

In addition to people's comment that I am denying them of their meds, if a patient is out of refills or the prescription is expired I get yelled at for this too! One time a lady was out of refills on her birth control and I told her we would need to contact her doctor to get a refill request before more refills can be given. Also, it could take 24 to 48 hours. I also told her she is welcome to go to urgent care to get a new rx or call a nurses line to call in a new rx to us. She said that it was a waste of her time and she needs to start her pack tomorrow. She also yelled at me asking why the pharmacy did not tell her she had no more refills! I politely told her that the bottom of the label indicates the number of refills she had left and we can't call all our customers telling them when their rx has no more refills. Then she says, "So you want me to get pregnant?" How am I suppose to respond to a comment like that?

I get the same questions on the phone if someone is trying to get a refill and can't. If it's lipitor they'll say, "so you want me to go without my meds and have high blood pressure?" or "I guess I will have to go without and suffer" Of course not!!!! I wish people would be more responsible if their meds are so important to take care of their refills instead of blaming me when I help them that I'm denying them of their medication.

Also, I have patients bringing in their hemmorids cream or some kind of cream that is all nasty and stuff wanting a refill. It grosses me out to touch it especially when it is stained. Sometimes people's bottles are like that too. I just have to wonder where they keep their meds and what they're doing to them.

I can never get out on time because we can't leave when a patient is still waiting for a rx or another tech is having a problem with a patient's insurance company. If we are suppose to close at 5:30pm I may not get out until 6:00pm. On top of that, I guess people in the pharmacy can't eat either. We can't close for lunch b/c patients get mad that we are not open when they come in. We have to stay open and try to take little bites at a time and type and fill at the same time. On the weekends, our staff orders lunch at 12:30pm and sometimes we won't be able to eat until 2:00pm b/c people keep strolling in or I won't finish my lunch until then b/c I have so many to type and fill that I can't eat fast enough. I know that our local Target closes for 30min and they've gotten complaints from customers that the pharmacy was closed when they arrived but people gotta eat. So to compete, our pharmacy stays open and suffers with no lunch!

Lastly, I have gotten pens and some rx's thrown at me b/c the customer got pissed off! Of course my manager spoke to the customer right away but I do not believe I should ever have anything thrown at me! One time, a husband picking up his wife's prescription thought her copay should be lower and ran through a different insurance when it was the same all along. He didn't believe it but the pharmacist helped me explain to him the situation. He just said "FINE" and I asked him to sign that he picked up the med. Once he did, he took the prescription and threw the pen at me.

So...that is the worst of my job. I get at least one or more these problems in a day but the days where no problems occur are the best:girlsigh:

I could give you many reasons why my Fridays @ work sucks in order to win a bag... but yesterday (Friday) I received a message saying that I have to go to Buenos Aires in a couple of weeks :yahoo: so I'll be able to visit mum & dad & bro and I'm gonna go directly to the Qara shop and buy a bag, so another PF member can win it :wlae:
(btw, could I get a discount for being a PF member???? :supacool: )

This sounds like a great idea and goodluck to all who submit.However, I can't enter this contest because I also love my job.My job requires I come in for 4 hours everyday and I don't have to interact with my co-workers too often plus it's fun.Quick,fast,and hassle-free.....just the way I like my jobs, so I can't complain much.:wlae:

I work as a Disability Adjudicator. What is that you ask? Well, all day everyday I get to scrounge through the medical records of people who have filed for disability benefits.

I know the description doesn't sound so bad, but when you have to deal with cranky doctors who don't to answer your questions and illiterate people who don't know how to complete forms correctly it's pretty darn nerve wrecking.

Oh, you still don't think it's bad? Well, what about when you have to tell a woman who has breast cancer and is currently in chemo that even though the chemo makes her sick and tired she can still go out and work? Or what about telling the amputee that even though his right arm was mangled and cut off in a farm accident, he can still work because his left arm is fully functional.

Sometimes, I view records of people who have file due to mental problems and it makes me want to cry. I've seen children who have been severely sexually abused who now have multiple personalities or are extremely suicidal. The worst was a child who was blind and mentally retarded due to severe malnutrition. She wasn't born with either condition but because he mother thought that meth was more important she stopped taking care of her child.

Sometimes I really wish that I had Bill Gates money because I really want to help a lot of these people out, but due to the guidelines I have to follow I have to tell them that I can't help them. So without the check that I don't approve some of them go hungry, without electricity or water or they lose their homes.

My job sucks because everyday I am reminded of the evil that lives in some people. I am reminded that in the real world some people don't give a damn about anyone or anything but themselves.

My job sucks and I can’t wait until Fridays because my boss who is a woman is horrendous compared to other bosses I’ve had. She is so intimidating because she is never satisfied. She makes sure you are given an impossible task and then attaches an impossible deadline to it. The client may be fine with a certain deadline but she wants to exceed the client’s expectation. She is always pushing for the task to be accomplished in record time, but if a mistake is made, you will be jumped for the mistake. Quality is key, but quantity is expected. I find it hard to balance these two. I feel the work should be Quality work but if to get to the quality, more time is needed I think it should be taken without the big push which is just frustrating. Also she does not entertain diversity and feels the only way to do anything is her way even though every one works in their own way and at their own pace and all can bring a lot to the table. She drives good employees away. My weekends to relax and recoup enable me to return to this job every Monday. I actually like the work it’s just the Boss that makes it unnecessarily harder. On weekends I love to read and pursue my love of fashion which includes handbags. A new handbag is such a nice reward for all you have to put up with in the workplace. How nice it would be to win one!

I'm the only female in the 20 member management team at my company, and I'm fully 20 years younger than any of the rest of them.

I am supposed to be the Marketing Manager, but mostly I am everyone's whipping gal. All these events occurred in the last TWO WEEKS...trying to go back any farther would make me want to jump out the window and end it all!

1. Our CFO came to me on Tuesday at 1pm and demanded that I put together a 5 star dinner party on Wednesday night for 40 people WITH NO BUDGET. He told me to "call on favors and solicit donations from the community". Why the heck would "the community" care about him and his banker buddies getting free canapes?!?! (I managed to call in every favor I ever had and put together a 3 star affair, but the jerks were so drunk from their day of golfing that they probably didn't even notice).

2. One of the junior analysts was "leaking" from breastfeeding her new baby. She went to her supervisor and asked if she could go home to take care of the problem. He told her no, and to go "borrow buffalogal's shirt--she sits in an office and can close the door so no one sees her"...she sheepishly came to me (why?!?!?) and when I said no, her supervisor (who is not my boss but who is higher on the food chain than me) kicked me out of my office so she could work in there for the day and made me work in the coffee nook.

3. I wrote a three page article for an industry magazine. I had submitted it several weeks ago (after several months of research) but the issue arrived last week. I excitedly flipped to the page to see my name in print only to find MY BOSS listed as the author. I asked him about it and he said he had called the magazine and asked them to print his name because he was "more established" in the industry. They apparently did it because we are big advertisers and they didn't want to tick him off.

4. Our company had an incentive contest that ended a week or so ago. We had to get X dollars in hand by the contest end date and each member of the team would get a $1000 bonus (which I was planning on spending on a new bag!)...We knew we were going to make it...I grabbed our incoming checks the last day and saw that one big one had arrived that put us over the top. I delivered them to my boss and told everyone that we had it. I was shocked when we got a memo that we were $4k short. Since I had told everyone we made it, there was a ton of outrage, so he sent another memo stating that I was flat wrong, the check was never there, blah, blah, blah. I confronted him and he said the company had decided that they couldn't afford the contest and I should be a "team player--it would be rewarded in my next review". I knew there was nothing I could do, so I decided to lump it. But the next day the big check miraculously posted and the boss sent another memo saying that "apparently buffalogal got the check mixed up with some other things, but rules are rules, etc. etc. and better luck next time". Now everyone HATES me.

So why do I stay? Unfortunately I live in a small town with little opportunity, and they pay me pretty well by comparison. I have to keep myself in pretty bags somehow!

Status
Not open for further replies.