the ostentatious properties of LV Mono

Yeah, I can relate. :Push: That's probably the reason why I only had one mono vuitton, which is my first monogram purse of any kind. Between worrying about the vachetta getting dirty and the vachetta getting too patina-ed too fast, I only wear the monogram purse to work when it really matches my outfit (IMO, it goes really well with solid, black suits! :yes: )

This is the exact reason I am getting my damier saleya. I LOVE mono, but there are certain people I refuse to wear it around because of the gossip and the pre-judments that would be passed. I love damier because no one knows that its LV (at least not in my circles). Of course if they could see INSIDE my bag, they would find my mono wallet, mono pochette, mono agenda.. you get the picture! I will still carry my mono bags and, but I wanted another option.

baby&melovelv said:
I understand what you mean, but it is the monogram that made me feel good about myself after having had a baby. i sold all my coach purses/wallets and bought a cabas mezzo. i'm only 5"1', but i gained a lot of weight/water and for different reasons, have had a tough time losing the weight. (i was running 1/2 marathons 2 years ago.) i would dress nicely and proudly carry my bag. i felt like it helped me to look nicer, since i was not happy with my newfound girth. i offered to get my sister an lv for a present- she informed me that she did not need a nice bag to feel good about herself- which hurt my feelings b/c i was just trying to be nice. and, at the time, i DID need the lv to feel good about myself!

I will be hurt if I were you. I am sorry you have to get that kind of response. It's really a nice gesture from you!

When you own a bag that is expensive and good looking, you kind of feel you should look "the part" carrying it. I totally understanding what you meant about dressing nicely to go with your bag. It's always a good morale booster :smile:

You should get whatever you like and not let other people's opinions of bags affect your decision.
I personally fondly remember the days when people had NO idea what the mono print was but I really could care less if someone does recognize it. At my school there are a LOT of fakes of bags that I have (BH's, Mezzos) but once they stop carrying theirs because they broke, I'll still be using mine.
But if you really want something unrecognizable an epi is great..they're classic too and go with everything.

bluekit said:
Yeah, I can relate. :Push: That's probably the reason why I only had one mono vuitton, which is my first monogram purse of any kind. Between worrying about the vachetta getting dirty and the vachetta getting too patina-ed too fast, I only wear the monogram purse to work when it really matches my outfit (IMO, it goes really well with solid, black suits! :yes: )

Now that you mention it, I've never gotten a monogram purse before. I used to be into Coach, but even then I'd never get the signature print for the same reason. Well, that and the fact that it would be impossible to keep clean.

:nuts: :yahoo: YES..YES..YES!!! You are not alone at all...here I am!!

Its very true that carring a luxury bag is very noticable and can be uncomfortable in many situations. It does leave a person sort of open to be judged.

I think that the reason personally that I feel uncomfortable is....
my surrounding like my job or neighborhood is not very affluent or well to do. And to carry something that is associated with it seems just off to me plus I cant handle the attention.

I beleive that personality plays a part too...some people like the attention and can handle it well. Its wonderful that you really thought about it and have made a choice thats best for you instead of jumping on the band wagon.

I have a hard time with mono also - It's not about what other people think, it's about how I feel - I have one, I have to get rid of - I don't wear it. Mono is either phony or flashy IMO.

Wow... I don't care what other people think about my bags... I carry my bags everywhere from Target to Bloomingdales and I am not thinking of how anyone else feels about them whether it is pro or con. I carry my bags because I like LV and have liked LV since waaayyyy back. Long before this sudden explosion of popularity. One must do what is right for her. Being true to oneself is the key.

I totally understand what you mean too. I have one mono bag (my only lv at the moment). It is a petite bucket. Because, it is small, I feel comfortable wearing it to work. For my next bag, I was thinking about a mono speedy 30. However, I just couldn't see myself wearing it to work or around my family. Seems so flashy......

Now, I have decided on a damier speedy 25. I will love it and only I will know what it is, except for lv fans. At first I didn't like damier but after seeing all the pictures of it being modeled, I love it. :love:

baby&melovelv said:
I understand what you mean, but it is the monogram that made me feel good about myself after having had a baby. i sold all my coach purses/wallets and bought a cabas mezzo. i'm only 5"1', but i gained a lot of weight/water and for different reasons, have had a tough time losing the weight. (i was running 1/2 marathons 2 years ago.) i would dress nicely and proudly carry my bag. i felt like it helped me to look nicer, since i was not happy with my newfound girth. i offered to get my sister an lv for a present- she informed me that she did not need a nice bag to feel good about herself- which hurt my feelings b/c i was just trying to be nice. and, at the time, i DID need the lv to feel good about myself!

I really feel sad about what your sister coment,:sad: but this is far from the truth, even people with great jobs, body or looks need a little incentive or treat to feel good once a while, we all have down moments and for carrying mono bags in certain places, I agree with everyone else, there are some places where you need to be a little discreet and less flashy and perhaps have you seen Angelina J taking her Cabas bag to Africa when she was working with hungry children? I don't thinks she did.

I'm sorry the Tulum didn't work out for you hippiechic!

I really don't care what other people thing about any of my bags. They are my bags and I love them and that's all that matters to me. If someone is going to judge you soley because you carry a mono LV bag they are the ones that have a problem not you.

The thing that I find really silly though is that people always make a fuss over the mono LV but don't have a clue about the damier, epi, etc... to me that just shows how ignorant people are.

I have carried LV for years...I have always been given so much hassle about my bags that I just do not care what anyone says anymore!! UNTIL a few weeks ago....I was at the airport in San diego and I was carrying my Tulum, my LV messanger bag as my lap top holder and my LV carry on...I felt like a fool...LOL. My husband has been generous and has showered me with some lovely diamonds...I wear a few stunning pieces everyday. I just felt like a target of some sort! I went to the bar as I was waiting for my flight and I as I was paying for my drink I took out my LV wallet...the guy sitting next to me was like...WOW you love your Louis Vuitton dont you!!! Never again...when I travel I will most likely just carry one piece instead of all of them...silly isnt it. AND people did stare at me...I kept saying to myself is was because I had lost so much weight over the summer and I felt great in my new jeans!!! LOL...it had nothing to do with me...just my belongings. It was a strange feeling. On another note...I HATE my tulum now. After carrying it quite a bit this summer, it really hurt my shoulder after long periods of time, and it got dirty in the weirdest places!! I think Im just a hand held bag kind of gal! Enjoy whatever piece you end up getting and wear it proudly!:heart:

Hippiechic,

You are not alone, I totally understand you. The mono line just screams out "LV"! and makes everyone look at you like you're so wealthy and all.

When I did work experience at a company, my supervisor's husband made some comment like China makes really good LV fakes since I had just came back from Hong Kong during my Christmas break. I was so mad and snapped back and said "Mine isn't fake, it's real..." :censor:

That experience sort of gave me -ve feelings about how people would feel towards me carrying LVs. Hence when I graduate and get a job, I'm going to use an epi bag :jammin:

I feel like that sometimes too, out of the few lv's i've seen around here about 90% of them are fake (usually bad MC's)so I feel like they can tell my PH is real (because it's such an uncommon style in comparison) and that they're judging me because of it. I don't know maybe I'm just paranoid. But I swear i can feel the chavettes giving me the up and down glare LOL I shrug it off and reassure myself that i should carry it proudly as it was a birthday gift from Hubby and he picked it out himself. okay i'll stop rambling now lol