Thank you notes?

I sent out Thank You cards after my baby shower. The people who came were DH's co workers...even his boss came hehehe, acquaintances and a couple of my neighbors. My friend said I didn't have to because I've already thanked them personally. I still sent them out because I just had so much fun that day and it truely made me soo happy.

Yes, I send them, on little Crane foldover cards, cream, not white, the exact same ones I have used to write them since I was old enough to hold a pen and write, an event which occurred very early in my life.

Since 2002, when I celebrated my Golden Jubilee, I have ordered them with a thin gold border.

Oh shimma, Crane's notes! I remember my first monogramed ones. I felt so adult LOL. I never thought of my 50th as a golden jubilee (OMG) but that gold border -
now that is class in the most understated way:yes:

When I grew up, thank-you notes were simply what you did. I taught my sons to write them. Now they e-mail their thank-you's. My nieces send notes (my sister taught them well), but my nephews (all on dh's side) have NEVER sent a note, e-mail, or phoned a thank-you. I asked him if it bothered him and he said no, it doesn't. Well, it bothers me that they can't take the time to thank us for their gifts at christmas, b-day, graduation, etc.

I always write thank you notes.
One of our friends daughters recently received a cash gift from us for her wedding. (She is the one who's father bought her (25)& her sister (18) a RANGE ROVER - spoiled brats) Any way we received no thank you. We were going to help them finacially start a business, now we aren't! The lack of a thank you is an obvious sign of entitlement & lack of gratitude.

I have to agree that about half the people I know do not send thank yous. Maybe more than half. I started to notice more and more as my friends had kids (I have none yet) and all I seem to do is give gifts. I actually took notice how some don't acknowledge a gift!!
It has actually changed me, I always send thank yous, whether via mail, email or text message to acknowledge when someone does something for me.

A friend of mine invited my SO and I to a college basketball game recently, and I sent his parents a thank you card since they provided the tickets(season ones). My friend said his Mom was so shocked to receive it. I was like, "Well, that's what my Momma taught me!" :P

I grew up writing thank you notes, and still send them. Although, I grew up in Boston - where it seemed that everyone sent them - and now live in southern CA, where it seems like it's less of a priority. Sometimes I will call instead of a note, but through email seems too impersonal.

I send thank you notes, but not to close family and friends, because I would thank them over the phone or face to face.

One of my closest friends sends thank you notes from her baby daughter, after xmas, birthdays, christening etc, they're so sweet and always make me smile because they're written as if the baby's written them!

I always send Thank You notes and have raised Lil Max to do the same. I started when he was tiny (of course I helped back then) and my rule was always if you accept a gift you must send a thank you, regardless if you said thank you in person or on the phone. He still does it.

As for receiving them, yes I like them and it impresses me when someone is thoughtful enough to send one.

I also do a lot of hiring at my job and Thank You notes from candidates I interview score them LOTS of points towards being offered a job. I have hired several people based on the fact that they sent me a thank you after an interview. To me it shows they are truly interested in the job and have terrific follow up skills.

Well, always a big thank you when someone hands you a gift (which was/is at all birthday parties) or maybe a follow-up phone call to say thank you when there was just a table.
for wedding: definitely thank you cards - and with a personal touch as well as everyone came and we had a lovely celebration.
I will push my child to say thank you, either in person, on the phone or by sending a card - but I think one way is enough. It should be said though

[/quote] I also do a lot of hiring at my job and Thank You notes from candidates I interview score them LOTS of points towards being offered a job. I have hired several people based on the fact that they sent me a thank you after an interview. To me it shows they are truly interested in the job and have terrific follow up skills.[/quote]

Hm, this is interesting. never thought of that but to be honest here where I am sitting this would be considered unprofessional - different countries different behaviour I guess.

I am not sure what to thank for? the actual interview?

I love thank you notes. I alway send them even for the simplest of gestures like when friends invite me to dinner out of the blue or do something genuinely nice for no apparent reason. I love stationery and will use any excuse to send a card or letter. My mother taught me to do so when I was very young and I've just continued to this day.

I always send thank yous, especially after Christmas. It gives me something nice to do in that depressing bit between Christmas & New Year.

I generally send little cards, I either get them from Smythson or from the Nation Trust shops or if I'm in a gallery or museum & see some (particularly if they have my favourite art works on them) I will get them then.

I am of course, going to teach my children the importance of this most basic of manners.

I also do a lot of hiring at my job and Thank You notes from candidates I interview score them LOTS of points towards being offered a job. I have hired several people based on the fact that they sent me a thank you after an interview. To me it shows they are truly interested in the job and have terrific follow up skills.[/quote]

Hm, this is interesting. never thought of that but to be honest here where I am sitting this would be considered unprofessional - different countries different behaviour I guess.

I am not sure what to thank for? the actual interview?[/QUOTE]

Lara, what country are you from??? I never thought of cultural differences regarding this so I would love to learn more.

The business thank you is something along of the lines of this....Thank you for taking the time to meet with me yesterday. I enjoyed learning more about ABC company yada yada and so on........