Teens and handbags...Is it just me????

Most of the teens out here with designer bags are fakes. It gets to the point where they don't even know the name of the designer they are carrying. It is rather entertaining to see the look on their face when they are asked "where did you get your bag?" and they don't know.

I just think since I live in Utah, most of the designer bags I see are fakes due to there not being an actual boutique to buy them. Purse parties are pretty popular around here from what I heard. I just feel like I am one of very few that has the real deal ^___^

I can't help but notice how many teenaged girls are walking around with designer bags these days. :confused1: I have two daughters 12 and 15 that also have a love of designer bags thanks to me. They each have a Dooney bag that they bought on sale, with a coupon with their own Birthday money, but, for the most part, they have bags from American Eagle, Pacsun and Canal Street :yes: . They have friends walking around with the latest LV, Chanel, etc... bags. Now, call me crazy, but, when I see a young girl with a $$$$ bag I don't think....wow! she has good taste, or, wow, she is so lucky. I think, where is her mother so I can smack her!??!?! :cursing: Where is the incentive to work hard, save up, etc? I guess this applies to alot of things in life, but, for the sake of this forum, I chose bags. Has anyone else noticed this young girl, high end bag trend??

AMEN to that!!! I am young (21) but I save up money for my bags, and I know for a fact that I was not responsible enough to carry a $$$$ bag when I was younger. It was not that I didn't treat my things properly, but that I didn't know the value of money in the same way I do now (with bills etc). It's ok if they pay for their own bags, but I do not think it's right when a 14 year old is given a Chanel!! Envious? Of course, but still..:Push:

I apologise if this seems to generalise the young generation but it is just my opinion and experience.

It does seem to be indicative of today's society. I call them the "Want Generation". I work with all ages and the younger people I work with don't seem to know what saving up for something means and they have no real appreciation of what they already have. They also seem to be more prepared to take on debt or be very blase about purchasing large items on the never never.

Hmm.

I look at it this way. Every parent wants their kids to have it easier then them, right? Coming from an immigrant family that worked very hard to create a life in the U.S., I want them to have a better life and a smoother path than I did, even if that translates to having an "easier" one. Simply put, I would like my kids to have what I never got the opportunity to have... I'm not expressing myself well here, but does that make sense? :smile:

I didn't develop my love for high end bags until I turned 50- this may be my midlife crisis.
My 20 year old DD thinks I'm insane & doesn't understand this at all, so it looks like this trend is not going to affect her.

i don't know.. some of them are brats and need a good slapping anyway, but not all of them. i saved up for my first lv when i was 14, my cousin saved up for her first when she was 12 (a damier papillon) and she's almost 16 now and has bought two miu miu bags and a little marni evening bag since then. both of us choose almost only no logo bags so it's not like we're going around being all "look how much money my bag cost" or anything. we just really loved bags from a young age :shrugs: now i'm definitely old enough i think :roflmfao:

How did you save up - did you have a part-time job or just a really good pocket money/allowance from parents!!

I know where you're coming from, but I try not to judge. Bear in mind that there are people who think it's atrocious that grown women would spend the kind of money we spend on handbags. Of course it is our choice to spend it but so too is it the teen's (or teen's parent's) choice. Choice is choice.

Plus remember the story somebody told on here about the young girl with the (I think) Vuitton? It was a present from her mom after the girl had completed chemo. Of course you would never begrudge that girl that bag.

I think we should all just be happy to see a beautiful bag on somebody's arm, and leave it at that.

AMEN to that!!! I am young (21) but I save up money for my bags, and I know for a fact that I was not responsible enough to carry a $$$$ bag when I was younger. It was not that I didn't treat my things properly, but that I didn't know the value of money in the same way I do now (with bills etc). It's ok if they pay for their own bags, but I do not think it's right when a 14 year old is given a Chanel!! Envious? Of course, but still..:Push:
I totally agree. I think it goes to an understanding of the value of money. If their parents are doling out $1500 handbags as regular gifts, I don't know if it encourages these girls to appreciate what they have. I would be in TOTAL support of a teen saving up to buy a designer bag, though.

I think that it is very presumptuous to think that young teenagers have not saved up for their designer bag. I think it is quite unfair that teenagers get stick for carrying nice bags, unless you outright ask them if they bought their bag themselves, how do you know that they did not buy it? As a teen myself I feel it rather unfair that we are being judged for owning good quality bags when a 22 year old carrying the same bag would be complimented for having great taste. I think unless you know the person, you should not judge - it is just my opinion though!

I came very late to my handbag obsession. My daughter will get my bags as hand me downs when I grow tired of them. I think we baby boomers are to blame in that we created the obsession for designer goods. Before, when/if you were rich you bought your expensive bags bags and didn't think anything of it. But our generation made "designer" a thing to lust after, fomented the whole celebrity handbag cult, and since we perhaps can't be rich -- we can at least have a nice handbag when we walk out of the house. You may live in a hovel, but when you go out, you'll have the LV or Chanel. If our daughters crave designer, high end handbags, it is only our fault.

I'm 16 and I have designer bags. I don't think just b/c you have a designer bag and you are a teen it means you didn't work hard for it or don't understand about saving money or you are a brat or spoiled by your parents. Every designer bag I have I bought myself and saved up years to get. I also got a few of mine on big sales:P. I have always been handbag obsessed! The most expensive bags my mum has bought for me was an LV bag and that was just a one off after I had been ill and had to get surgery. The only bags she buys me are cheapie ones or Juicy bags. I look after my bags so much and baby them alot lol! I carry both cheap bags and expensive bags. I don't think age is what matters, I think what matters is how you got that bag! I am envious of people whos parents get them lots of expensive bags. How is me saving to buy a handbag different to a boy saving to buy an Xbox?

I went to high-school with some very wealthy people (we were middle-class). I saw Gucci and LV all the time, and the student parking lot had MUCH nicer cars than the teacher parking lot. It's either, for very wealthy people spending that much is really nothing, and/or the mother might be embarrassed around the other mothers if her daughter doesn't have as nice of stuff as the other girls. I think "keeping up with the Jones's" expands over ones children as well.

Well, since I technically fall into the almost-teen category (20!), I have to throw in my two cents.

I never had any kind of designer bags when I was younger. I went to a journalism camp once and saw a girl with a Coach...and we just oooohed-ahhhed that thing. It was just a regular hobo, with the monogram.

I don't live any where near an affluent neighborhood. You were rich if you had the newest things in the Abercrombie and Fitch store. If you had Chanel...it was because it was those glaring ugly, fake ones.

But, I work my tail off for a 20 year old. I'm a bartender (and ironically also work at Abercrombie and Fitch) and I pull at LEAST 50 hour weeks.

So, at the end of the day, if I want to sit on Ebay and look at expensive Bbags, I will. I work hard for what I pay for, and I usually do treat myself now and then.

What I usually do is pay for my bags with my credit cards (I usually always try to keep a 0% one around for this...) and then I just pay on it until it's paid off.

No more bags until the other one is paid off. And it works well, and I sell the ones that I don't use and everyone is happy.

But, I agree with kittykitty, my brother actually has two X-boxes...and he paid for them himself (why he needs two, not entirely sure).

So it all works out.