Talk me out of an engagement ring upgrade

guccilover21

I ❤️ bags.
O.G.
Dec 19, 2011
Hi all,

As a jewellery and luxury addicted gal, I need your help in talking me out of an engagement ring upgrade. Hubby said I can have one and that’s made me want one but my ring is beautiful and I would be sad not to wear it. Here is a picture. The upgrade would be an emerald cut over 2ct. My current one is a 1.75ct round. Help a girl out!

E851D013-5929-4AF2-A0C8-F6E5CE28F7BE.jpeg

I wanted a much larger stone but also would have been sad to let go of my original ring so I waited a while and got another ring to wear on my right hand! Now I have the best of both worlds. Just an idea!

Reactions: sdkitty
Just because you get an upgrade doesn't mean you can never wear your original ring again.

You can take the diamond out and make a beautiful pendant if you like! And then just wear them together! :biggrin:

But if you really want to get talked out of it. Just don't do it lol. :P

Reactions: skyqueen
I did a huge upgrade recently and in all honesty the ring didn't feel like me. Might that be how you are feeling? Round and emerald are really different stones. I went to a large pear and for me it just doesn't feel the same (I am swapping out to a yellow oval, which was always my dream.)

If you love your e-ring as it is, why not stay with it and use the money for a dream trip or something around the house, or anything else you have always wanted? Or if money is no concern, but you're sentimentally attached to the original ring, you could have both and switch off or wear one on your right hand!

Thanks everyone for your honest opinions. The emerald we were looking at is 2.65ct so it would be an upgrade in size but not a big jump. I honestly don’t want anything massive as it’s just not me! I wanted to try a different diamond cut as I’ve been wearing round for 16 years. I’m still on the fence though!

If you love your e-ring as it is, why not stay with it and use the money for a dream trip or something around the house, or anything else you have always wanted? Or if money is no concern, but you're sentimentally attached to the original ring, you could have both and switch off or wear one on your right hand!
This. I agree. If money is no object, get the emerald cut but keep your original. If you don't love the emerald cut as much as the round, then wear the emerald on your right hand, or wear it on fancy-dinner night with a fabulous dress.

If money IS an object, then I would suggest keeping the money for something else altogether like a romantic trip. Or, like was also previously mentioned, spend that money on a different eternity band. The one you have looks a little tight and maybe smaller in scale than the engagement ring and could maybe be a smidge bigger and looser (although that might just be the way it looks in the photo. Maybe it fits perfectly irl, I'm not sure).

If you are planning on funding the purchase of the new ring by selling the original or using it as a trade-in, then I would say, do NOT get the emerald cut. Keep what you have. You love it, it fits well, isn't too small or too large, and has emotional value. If you regret it, you can't get it back. On the other hand, if after a few months, you find yourself so focused on the emerald cut that you are starting to fall out of love with your original ring, you can always go to the store and buy an emerald cut at that time.

I also think that a larger emerald cut will not suit your hands as well as what you have now. The rectangular shape's straight lines would not look as nice on your specific hands as the circle does. I feel that the sharp, dramatic lines of the emerald cut are best worn on hands that also have some angularity to them. Otherwise, the stone can overwhelm the hands and you have a case of "the jewelry wearing you rather than you wearing the jewelry." Also, I worry that a stone that is any larger than what you have, will be too large for your hands. An emerald cut would perhaps come too far up your knuckle and start to overwhelm your hand.

I honestly think the ring you have now is absolutely perfect for you. Both the size and shape are perfect for your hands. If you must change or add something, I would get a bigger eternity band.

Best of luck with whatever you choose! Great "problem" to have for sure!! Please let us know what you choose to do! :smile: