Straps & Handles

So far, I’ve been reaching more for my Kingston. The equestrian strap on this bag is an amazing fit. It stays on my shoulder.

The straps on my zip Barlow slide down a lot.

I prefer the whipstitch handles. Also, I love the handles on my vintage doctors bag (R03). They are really sturdy.

Reactions: mushroomNgrass
Great topic. I think the answer depends on how we each carry our bags.
I hand or arm carry all my bags. So a rolled handle that's not too long
is my choice. I love the whipped stitch detail on the Florentine handles.

Flat straps/handles are not as comfortable to carry. And longer ones make
the bag feel heavier as it tends to swing more if the strap is longer.
(There must be some rule in physics, but I can't remember that far back
in school)! 😁

I think the wider shoulder straps, like on the Kingston and some other styles
are beautiful. They are comfortable for arm carry, but the width makes
hand carry difficult.

Braided ends on some strap (like the Twist Strap Hobo) or even the
Celeste Satchel are really pretty. But, because the straps are flat,
they are not comfortable for hand carry.

And thin flat straps/handles are just not comfortable at all.
I never understand how they are praised for ease of shoulder carry
or cross body. Yes, if it's a tiny handbag, a wide strap might not be
the best aesthetic choice.... but...many medium or larger Dooney bags
have shoulder/cross body straps that are just too thin for the bags weight.

Aren't you glad you asked! 🤣

I also notice how the handles/straps are attached. I prefer handles that can
easily fold down for access to the top of the bag. The designs where the handles
stick straight up are much harder to use. Also, over time as the leather
softens these rigid handles often flop down and crease. It's not a good look.

And on some bags the handles/straps are attached with and artistic piece of leather...
a teardrop shape, like on the pebbled leather zip zip satchel. On other bags,
it's a simple rectangular piece of leather that often makes the design appear much
less refined.

As for shoulder straps or cross body straps, even tho I don't carry handbags
this way anymore, I did prefer when they were attached to the sides of the bag,
not to the handles or the front and back of the bag. The styles where the
longer straps clip onto the handles result in a very unbalanced carry.

many medium or larger Dooney bags
have shoulder/cross body straps that are just too thin for the bags weight.
YES! I agree with this.

Me looking at my Buckley right now.
Bad Girls Club Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I like the twist strap on the Logan. It’s beautiful and comfortable on my shoulder with no slipping or shoulder cutting, On both large and small Logan.

On the large satchels I like to double up the strap for shoulder carry. That bag is too big and heavy for any crossbody action in my opinion.

I like the 3 part straps where you can take out the middle piece to make a short shoulder bag On the zip flap crossbody and tiny domed crossbody.
I have a love hate relationship with the Buckley strap. I feel the strap is too thin even though it’s doubled, it’s double thin. Lol I like that it is removable and you can add a web strap or a strap of your choosing.

I like the wide web strap on the Tilton. It’s extremely comfortable, but I don’t like the light beige color. I hope it doesn’t get dirty too fast. It is removeable, but it’s that hard to do rivet slide thru hole thingy… I’m using it as my laptop bag at the moment and I soooooooooo love the Tilton.

i only have the whipstitch handles that move so I can’t really give any opinions on the stand up rolled handles or the flat handles

Reactions: KiltyR45
Oh and my repair is out for delivery. The strap on this bag felt great, for the little time I had it on my shoulder. The rivets that held the strap breaking off gave me pause, why did this just snap off like this. Has me looking at all the rivets that connect the o ring to the bag. Like the Tilton and the drawstring. How are the rivets applied glue, pressure, screw? It’s not a good feeling carrying a bag on your shoulder and you feel a snap and the strap just comes off, bag plummeting to the ground….

Attachments

• IMG_3122.jpeg
    IMG_3122.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2835.jpeg
    IMG_2835.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 6
The rivets are generally very secure. However, they are very hard to
open, so that process can put a lot of stress on them, especially if someone
doesn't know how to do it (and most of us don't). So if you are buying a
preloved bag, then the rivets could be more vulnerable than on a new bag.
Check out PCANTanBeauty's YT video on how to adjust Dooney straps.
It's a few years old, but she has the best instructions on how to do it.
Other videos I've seen are wrong. PCANTanBeauty's method works.

The rivets are generally very secure. However, they are very hard to
open, so that process can put a lot of stress on them, especially if someone
doesn't know how to do it (and most of us don't). So if you are buying a
preloved bag, then the rivets could be more vulnerable than on a new bag.
Check out PCANTanBeauty's YT video on how to adjust Dooney straps.
It's a few years old, but she has the best instructions on how to do it.
Other videos I've seen are wrong. PCANTanBeauty's method work
thanks LJ. This is amazing. Very hard to do.

What are your favourite type of D&B straps & handles?

Do you swap out straps to use with your other bags?

When it comes to handles, what’s your favourite type?
For hand carry I like the rolled handles best. @RuedeNesle turned me on to guitars straps (thank you Rue!). I use those for shoulder carry on the heavier bags like the Barlow & large flo satchel.

For hand carry I like the rolled handles best. @RuedeNesle turned me on to guitars straps (thank you Rue!). I use those for shoulder carry on the heavier bags like the Barlow & large flo satchel.
Hi LB! :hugs:
You're welcome! I love guitar straps.
P.S. Falling behind in the Dooney forum because less than 24 hours after I returned home from Vegas I took my DD to the airport for her flight to Miami for a 10 day cruise! I've been with my 2 y.o. GS, and the other 3 kids since 5am Friday morning. Mostly playing Granny Uber and keeping a 2 y.o. from causing chaos. It's fun, but exhausting. :lol: I'm reading posts but not replying like I want to. Five more days!

Oh and my repair is out for delivery. The strap on this bag felt great, for the little time I had it on my shoulder. The rivets that held the strap breaking off gave me pause, why did this just snap off like this. Has me looking at all the rivets that connect the o ring to the bag. Like the Tilton and the drawstring. How are the rivets applied glue, pressure, screw? It’s not a good feeling carrying a bag on your shoulder and you feel a snap and the strap just comes off, bag plummeting to the ground….
Aggravating as heck when that bag drops. I have an old version of the PG Presley (has wider strap) & the buckle on that strap will work its way loose repeatedly. I've only carried it twice for that reason.

• Wow
If anyone should see the wide embossed Dooney logo strap anywhere, please please let me know. I didn't get it at the time cause I already had the bag in flo with the regular strap. I reeeeally want that strap!
That's the guitar strap!

• Wow