Sticky Credit Card Situation?

That's weird. i thought with Amex that you automatically had buyer protection. I need to call them and check on my account. What did they tell you?

Iluvbags said:
That's weird. i thought with Amex that you automatically had buyer protection. I need to call them and check on my account. What did they tell you?

It's a basic card with no buyer protection.. I was pretty upset when I found out, since I thought AMEX offered the best customer support/protection among all the cards out there (hence why they charge more per transactions to sellers to cover their costs).

I was also not too pleased when the customer support rep suggested that I re-apply for another card to receive the protection.. yeah that's not really going to help me at this point. :suspiciou

Wow, I'm shocked about the AMEX situation, I didn't know the basic card had no protection.

Maybe there should be a "credit-card horror-story" thread just to give everyone here a heads-up. It's the reason I don't carry an MBNA card anymore, because I once had a dispute with a retailer, (I bought something brand new, never even took it out of the SEALED plastic bag, and tried returning it... and the store wouldn't refund me, they told me their return policy was 'clearly stated on the wall.' Yeah it was on the wall alright, buried beneath a ton of clutter. (It was a hardware store with tools hanging everywhere, including over the sign.)

Anyway, MBNA sided with the retailer, even after I detailed my story to them. I called back livid, but they wouldn't budge.

So I cancelled my account with them.

Just so you know, some credit card companies write it into their terms that they can also jack up your interest rates if you have a delinquent payment with SOMEONE ELSE.
And guess who is the first company who will jump on this policy? Yes, MBNA.

Amex should be ashamed, I don't charge often and have the clear card I would think thats their basic card. I had trouble twice and the first time they reimbursed my $ the next day. The problem I have now is because a company never stopped automatic withdrawls and that is under investigation.

No, the clear card is the BLUE card (if it has that irridescent blue square in the middle.) The basic card is the green card. (It s a starter that they give to students and first-timers, etc.) and once you establish a clean record by paying on time for 6 months you can move 'up' to another card.

Whatever you do, if you can help it, don't ever let anyone do automatic withdrawls on anything. It authorizes a company to take whatever they like and for some reason it's harder to dispute.

If you think you have too many, "lose" your card. Call your credit card co, and report it lost and they issue you another number, invalidating the old one.