Stereotypes

lilach said:
go figure by yourself:
- i am not only jewish but israeli
-i married a guy older than me
-i married a man wealthier than me
-i love jewelery
-i have a huge white poodle
-i am not stupid (well at least that is what i hope)
-i got divorced

what do you think some people think about me or talk about my back ?:lol:
(and it does not matter that i do have a good education etc)

but i tell you i know who i am and so do my friends and if anyone wants to judge me by these things well then let it be it is not my problem cause i know that i am not the one with the pathetic life!
and if someone dares to tell me up my face what stereotypes they think i fit into will be more then happy to tell them what more i have and how fabulous i am and that they should drive home in their 1988 japanomobile to their 20 squerefeet home and celebrate their oh so sterotype influenced pitty existence
b055.gif

but the main difference between these people and me is: you can take away all the extras from me but i will still have my dignity and will remain open minded and tolerant. everything else is just the icing on the cake but without a good cake you have nothing at all.

Lilach, I just love your responses!! You are a totally fabulous and intelligent lady with style!! You rock!!!:rochard:

Lilach, while I don't know you, from reading your self-description, I can assuredly say that you are my kind of gal! ;) Interestingly, I grew up in a household where my mother was (and still is) an anti-snob. In fact, she is so anti-snobby that she is snobbish in her dislike of snobs (like my MIL :wtf: - who loves Chanel and Fendi)! Yes, she considers me a snob. That's ok. To each her own. The way I look at it, I've been an attorney since the 1980s (yup, I'm much older than I look :angel:), am a mom of a first grader and have earned the right to buy any bag I choose.

Interestingly, do you think men are stereotyped similarly? My DH LOVES Hermes! He has a cashmere coat, about 80 ties and a couple of cashmere blankets from Hermes. Do you think people would be quick to stereotype him?

Here's to all of us, male and female, who love Hermes!! :flowers:

koukanamiya said:
She made it sound as though there was something wrong with people who didn't make their own money or something.
the next time just reply: everything comes with a price to pay in this world nothing is for free. and we all work for it in one way or another

Junior Mints said:
definitely. people that i meet couple of times pass judgements on me all the time (they make the mistake of telling someone and it usually gets back to me). because i like hermes and the finer things in life (and i'm not from a super wealthy family but i have an aunt who spoils me - she gave me a togo blue jean 35cm birkin for my birthday last year).

anyway, people say that i'm a gold digger (though i've bought everything on my own and no expensive gifts from boyfriends), that i'm high maintenance, snobby, up myself and the list goes on...

it got to a point where colleagues would talk about it behind my back when i used to work in sydney... usually the conversation would be like 'she can't afford that...

Gah! how RUDE! I hate it when people think that they can decide whether someone can afford or not afford something. People can be so judgmental.

Your aunt sounds awesome! A togo blue jean 35cm? That is a GREAT present!!!:nuts:

LOOKINGOOD35 said:
I have lived with the entire stereotyping my entire life.

I think people do that because it make them fill better about the situations in there lives. If people are sooo worried about me
I think you need a life.

A new friend gave me a complement recently. She said I like the way you handle others. You buy new items and don't talk about it, when other attempt, you are gracious but do not apologize for your style. You do not make big purchases to impress others.

It took a life time to get here and will not let others tell me who I am.

You're absolutely right, you've worked hard and you definitely shouldn't let others tell you who you are. I just wish I won't let generalization and stereotype gets to me but I tend to take these things personally. People can be such jealous beings, some of them just don't like to see others happy.

snobs are unbareable.:yucky:
Kou, maybe we should look at this differently:
What is wrong with having money, hermes bags/goods, good jewelry, and attractive wardrobe?
As long as one remains a decent, kind, and considerate human being who is not totally self absorbed, and contributes to society?:flowers:

Ninja Sue said:
Lilach, while I don't know you, from reading your self-description, I can assuredly say that you are my kind of gal! ;) Interestingly, I grew up in a household where my mother was (and still is) an anti-snob. In fact, she is so anti-snobby that she is snobbish in her dislike of snobs (like my MIL :wtf: - who loves Chanel and Fendi)! Yes, she considers me a snob. That's ok. To each her own. The way I look at it, I've been an attorney since the 1980s (yup, I'm much older than I look :angel:), am a mom of a first grader and have earned the right to buy any bag I choose.

Interestingly, do you think men are stereotyped similarly? My DH LOVES Hermes! He has a cashmere coat, about 80 ties and a couple of cashmere blankets from Hermes. Do you think people would be quick to stereotype him?

Here's to all of us, male and female, who love Hermes!! :flowers:

You know what is weird? I feel that the stereotype toward men who like Hermes is a more positive stereotype. From what I've observed, people tend to think that men who like Hermes must be:

- Successful
- Make tons of money
- Independent
- Mature
- Cultured
- Smart

Basically, it appears that most stereotype toward male Hermes fans are positive as opposed to the views toward female Hermes fans. A certain somebody once "helpfully" told me that I should avoid carrying Hermes when my SO is around or else other females will think that he buys me these stuff and they'll try to steal him away:wtf:

welcome to reality. in our world a woman is still just the sidekick of the guy and of course when she wears or drives or owns nicer things it has of course beeing bought buy her guy.
noone will ever think of her as " oh she drives a benz she must be very succesful in what she does she must have a good running business etc " no the first thoughts are " she shagged well" :rolleyes:
sad but true

Junior Mints said:
definitely. people that i meet couple of times pass judgements on me all the time (they make the mistake of telling someone and it usually gets back to me). because i like hermes and the finer things in life (and i'm not from a super wealthy family but i have an aunt who spoils me - she gave me a togo blue jean 35cm birkin for my birthday last year).

anyway, people say that i'm a gold digger (though i've bought everything on my own and no expensive gifts from boyfriends), that i'm high maintenance, snobby, up myself and the list goes on...

it got to a point where colleagues would talk about it behind my back when i used to work in sydney... usually the conversation would be like 'she can't afford that...
Just because you have a generous Aunt, and good taste does not make you a snob.:flowers: And the whole "gold digger" thing is anoying...( even if you did not buy your own things,...what is wrong with having a generous husband or boyfriend? :shrugs: )

lilach said:
welcome to reality. in our world a woman is still just the sidekick of the guy and of course when she wears or drives or owns nicer things it has of course beeing bought buy her guy.
noone will ever think of her as " oh she drives a benz she must be very succesful in what she does she must have a good running business etc " no the first thoughts are " she shagged well" :rolleyes:
sad but true

:lol: In their eyes, I must "shag pretty well" considering my age. oh boy ...

avandome said:
snobs are unbareable.:yucky:
Kou, maybe we should look at this differently:
What is wrong with having money, hermes bags/goods, good jewelry, and attractive wardrobe?
As long as one remains a decent, kind, and considerate human being who is not totally self absorbed, and contributes to society?:flowers:

I agree. I care more about the fact that the person is a GOOD person as supposed to how they can afford these items. In fact, I think that nice people DESERVE all the Hermes goodies there is!