Star-rating system needs another category

LOL, I had the same problem recently! I got a bag, in wonderful condition (thank goodness!) that came shipped in a box but with no packing or wrapping at all. The seller just folded it up and stuck it in a box (they even put the dust cover inside the bag, instead of around it for shipping!) Good thing it wasn't raining the week it was delivered!

Yes! :yes:

I couldn't agree more!

Because of multiple bad packing experiences, I now always ask the seller, before I bid, how they are going to pack the item to ship and if the answer worries me, I ask whether they can please pack the item in a sturdy box and that I will pay a little more, if necessary. :yes:

I would far rather pay more to get decent packaging. :yes:

Even when they agree and sometimes when I have paid more, some of them still send the item in an envelope, or a very flimsy card box! :rolleyes: :nogood: :cursing:

Even worse, eBay have now said that sellers who get low star ratings for shipping costs (who are often the ones who pack well - as good packaging, obviously, costs more, as do the extra postal costs for larger, heavier packages) will not show up as high in searches as these low-charging bad-packers!!! :wtf: :tdown:

This is ALL WRONG, as the bane of my eBay life are sellers who under-pack, not those who charge a highish amount for shipping (within reason), but who pack well.

From now on, I think I am going to mark bad packers low for shipping charges, even if they have charged a low shipping fee.

I always use boxes........
if that came to me I'd be..........amazed if it wasn't crushed!

like the mailman cares that it says 'fragile'- but I love the ripped top of a USPS Priority address label! (haha~ I've done that when I couldn't find plain Priority labels)

I once received a bag packed in a plastic bag too, needless to say, the bag was totally damaged. The seller was actually shocked that it was damaged, and said that she has always shipped her bags that way!?!?!?!

Yes! :yes:

I couldn't agree more!

Because of multiple bad packing experiences, I now always ask the seller, before I bid, how they are going to pack the item to ship and if the answer worries me, I ask whether they can please pack the item in a sturdy box and that I will pay a little more, if necessary. :yes:

I would far rather pay more to get decent packaging. :yes:

Even when they agree and sometimes when I have paid more, some of them still send the item in an envelope, or a very flimsy card box! :rolleyes: :nogood: :cursing:

Even worse, eBay have now said that sellers who get low star ratings for shipping costs (who are often the ones who pack well - as good packaging, obviously, costs more, as do the extra postal costs for larger, heavier packages) will not show up as high in searches as these low-charging bad-packers!!! :wtf: :tdown:

This is ALL WRONG, as the bane of my eBay life are sellers who under-pack, not those who charge a highish amount for shipping (within reason), but who pack well.

From now on, I think I am going to mark bad packers low for shipping charges, even if they have charged a low shipping fee.

I think the 'shipping cost' one should include packaging. If they charged you for 'handling' then I would expect it to be well handled KWIM. I never charge a penny over what Canada Post charges me but I still pack really well. I keep most of the packing stuff I get from ebay and reuse it.
Actually it would annoy me if someone made me pay extra for a box to send it in. That's part of the cost of buying something. When you go to a store they don't charge you money to get a bag to carry stuff out in. arrgh

And for "Shipment time", I have 4.8. Um excuse me, I mail items out no later than the morning after the buyer pays (though most of the time it's mailed out the same day) yet I still have a 4.8. I know I shouldn't let it bother me but seriously now.:Push:
It also drives me crazy when a buyer doesn't make a comment about "fast shipping" since I too mail the same day (if I receive payment before 2pm) or the next day (if I receive payment at night.)

LOL, I had the same problem recently! I got a bag, in wonderful condition (thank goodness!) that came shipped in a box but with no packing or wrapping at all. The seller just folded it up and stuck it in a box (they even put the dust cover inside the bag, instead of around it for shipping!) Good thing it wasn't raining the week it was delivered!

OMG! I had the SAME thing happen to me (even so far as the dust bag being inside!)! My prob though was they folded the box inside out, so the colour on it rubbed off onto the butter-coloured leather! :wtf:

To the OP - did the bag emerge in perfect condition in your case??

^ asark, it actually did! It's a sturdy, structured bag, and it was not damaged at all. The reason I took the photo before opening it was because I've had bad experiences before with bags shipped in just a plastic shopping bag or a lightweight paper bag, and arriving damaged with bits missing. Once I'd opened it and saw it was fine, then the whole thing just seemed funny.

It also drives me crazy when a buyer doesn't make a comment about "fast shipping" since I too mail the same day (if I receive payment before 2pm) or the next day (if I receive payment at night.)

Yup, same here!
And like it's MY fault that the buyer chooses a cheaper, slower shipping service, then isn't happy when they don't have it rightthissecond. I'm not going to upgrade their shipping for free. I mean, come on now.