tas·sel (t
abreve.gif
s
prime.gif
schwa.gif
l) Pronunciation Key
premium.gif

n.
  1. A bunch of loose threads or cords bound at one end and hanging free at the other, used as an ornament on curtains or clothing, for example.
  2. Something that resembles such an ornament, especially the pollen-bearing inflorescence of a corn plant.
v. tas·seled, or tas·selled tas·sel·ing, or tas·sel·ling tas·sels or tas·sels
v. tr. To fringe or decorate with tassels.
v. intr. To put forth a tassellike inflorescence. Used especially of corn.

[Middle English, from Old French, fastening, clasp, from Vulgar Latin *tassellus, blend of Latin tessella, small die; see tessellate, taxillus, diminutive of t
amacr.gif
lus, knucklebone, ankle.]

Roo said:
I get confused too, chigirl. This is what dictionary.com says:

tas·sel (t
abreve.gif
s
prime.gif
schwa.gif
l) Pronunciation Key
premium.gif

n.
  1. A bunch of loose threads or cords bound at one end and hanging free at the other, used as an ornament on curtains or clothing, for example.
  2. Something that resembles such an ornament, especially the pollen-bearing inflorescence of a corn plant.
v. tas·seled, or tas·selled tas·sel·ing, or tas·sel·ling tas·sels or tas·sels
v. tr. To fringe or decorate with tassels.
v. intr. To put forth a tassellike inflorescence. Used especially of corn.

[Middle English, from Old French, fastening, clasp, from Vulgar Latin *tassellus, blend of Latin tessella, small die; see tessellate, taxillus, diminutive of t
amacr.gif
lus, knucklebone, ankle.]

Thanks but what is "Vulgar Latin"? I was an English major (and a spelling bee queen as a kid) and took a whole course where we had to speak Middle English (it sucked though I still do remember how to recite the beginning of Chaucer's Tales in middle english. I am so cool at parties), but i have never heard of this.

The tassels are 2 pieces of leather glued together when they split you get 4 strips hanging down.
They split on both of my black bags. I tried leather glue first which got crusty and they split again. What I recommend is to remove them from the bag, lay them out on paper suede side up and run an adhesive tape roller from an office supply store down one strip and carefully reapply the second piece squishing it together with your fingers. The have not split again since.

chigirl said:
Thanks but what is "Vulgar Latin"? I was an English major (and a spelling bee queen as a kid) and took a whole course where we had to speak Middle English (it sucked though I still do remember how to recite the beginning of Chaucer's Tales in middle english. I am so cool at parties), but i have never heard of this.

This, my dear, is vulgar latin! :lol: :wtf:

3-charos.jpg

faircherie said:
i'm sorry, but what do you guys mean when the tassels split, aren't they split into two already? can you guys post some pics. thanks!

here is my split tassels on my black weekender. i have replacements, but i kinda like it this way on my weekender. on a smaller bag the numerous tassel look might be a bit much though.

Attachments

• tassel1.jpg
    tassel1.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 214
  • tassel2.jpg
    tassel2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 174
  • tassel3.jpg
    tassel3.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 189
My two work bags are relatively new but none of the tassels have split. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and am very careful how I store my tassels -- laying them flat, etc. However, if they do split, I think I'll just leave them alone.

2001 le dix classique - this bag came with one sided tassels - so no they wouldn't split.

2006 s/s black city - one of the tassels split. I pulled it apart all the way to make two tassels and only reapplied one tassel. It looks like the tassel on my le dix now - honestly I don't see a difference

2006 rouge vif city - no splitting tassels.

i have one '06 bag and one '04 bag. neither have had split tassels...yet. my '04 looks like splitting is in the near future, but i don't think i'll mind if they do.

My 05 bag that has been worn, really worn, almost daily for more than a year, have no split tassels at all. A lady even stepped on the tassles going down the stairs behind me (and didn't appologize:rant:), and they got a bit stretched, but no splitting.

On my new rouge vif 06 though, the tassels split after I used it twice... :sad: