Travel Solo travel

You're going to my motherland! You'll love it :smile: I can't say enough nice things about Cuzco. It's absolutely magical. When you first see Machu Picchu it is just everything you hoped for and then some. Ah.. I miss Cuzco so much.
I don't know what part of Lima you are visiting, but when you do go to Jiron de la Union, which is a big part of downtown, be very aware. My mom had her camera stolen.. from the window of the car in which she was traveling back home in! And we are from Lima!! (No respect). If you can, visit la Costa Verde in Miraflores. Great restaurants, beaches, parks, and the safest neighborhood really. They are super festive during Christmas too.

Have fun!

Hello,

I went to Peru in 2012 for 2 months SOLO! Yes! I originally planned to hike the inca trail, then do a week of volunteering, but my work contract ended early so I just decided to go earlier. You will meet lots of tourists and backpackers in Peru. I stayed 6 weeks in Cusco but I travelled around the country, to Puno, Arequipa, Pisco/Huacachina.
For tips, nothing bad happened to me. I was careful of my things, and didn't wear anything flashy. there are lots of tourists with big cameras, make sure to always know where your things are, and your purse should be always closed. I know there are going to be people who scam tourists, and its not just in Peru. just look confident, and a little spanish can help you a lot! My 2 co-volunteers were scammed for tickets into getting into Bolivia with a bus that never appeared. Do a little research, ask around, ask waiters, servers.
Don't walk alone at night especially if you are not familiar with the area. Stay central if you can. Take taxis, if you have to. it's cheap.
There's a lot of nice hostels (like 3 star hotels in US) where you'll meet like minded backpackers who can help you. If you have your hotel booked or prefer to book hotels instead of hostels, there's some bars/common places/restos within hostels where you can meet people.
I felt the same weeks prior to my trip but felt 'safe' after 3 days.
I would like to go back, maybe next year. it's how much I fell inlove with the country.
I consider it my adopted homeland in South America.
Safe travels and message me if you have any more questions!