SOG Removal.........

How do i know what size rubber finger thimble/cots to get? I should prolly get a size or 2 larger than the size they suggest for my fingers, right? (i wear a size 7 ring, which is considered a medium large i suppose, so does that mean i should get a large/xlarge cot? The swingline ones on ebay come in med, med/large, large, large/xtra large, and xlarge.

also, what is the best type of cotton to put inside, regular cotton balls? or are the rounds or felt or something better.

thanks.

I was told by other people on the Gelish thread to try the OPI Remover since sometimes it makes a difference if you use the remover that is formulated for your base coat. I may try just pure Acetone one of these times too and see how that works. I just don't like how drying pure Acetone it.

I use one cotton ball per hand, so two total. And I use scissors to cut each one into 5 tiny pieces that just fit over the top of each nail. Those blue silicone page turners from WalMart are perfect. They hold the cotton in place and provide just a little bit of pressure. Just make sure the little holes are to the bottom of your fingers so the cotton doesn't evaporate. After soaking for about 5-8 minutes, I will squeeze a little more remover into each finger cot. Heat helps alot too.

Hope that helps! And remember no bonders of any kind and no buffing. If anything you may even want to get a nail shine buffer and use that to smooth out your nails - you want them as smooth as possible, no roughing them up. I used this as well and it really helped. I think you'll be very happy with the OPI gel base....

I should also note that I also use the OPI GelColor top coat. I don't know if this has any affect on how well it soaks off, versus using the OPI base and Gelish top, but since my soakoffs are now so easy, I think I will stick with OPI top coat as well.

I'm so glad I read this because I did my first soak off of my Gelish manicure and I had a really hard time getting it to come off and I couldn't figure out why. I think I will try the OPI brand.

And where at in Walmart would you find those blue silicone page turner things? I hate wandering around in there looking for stuff :biggrin:

They only come in one package that contains multiple sizes. You cant just buy one size. So since i needed most of them to be all one size, i bought two packages. I use a slightly larger size for my thumbs. I wear a size 7 wedding ring. You will see what I mean when you see them in the package.

They only come in one package that contains multiple sizes. You cant just buy one size. So since i needed most of them to be all one size, i bought two packages. I use a slightly larger size for my thumbs. I wear a size 7 wedding ring. You will see what I mean when you see them in the package.

ahhhh, cool. thanks. I have to get the ugly brown ones from staples, lol, not the cute blue ones from walmart cuz we don't have a walmart here. Dang it. and the ugly staples ones are all 1 size in a box. booooo. And alas, walmart doesn't sell theirs online

ahhhh, cool. thanks. I have to get the ugly brown ones from staples, lol, not the cute blue ones from walmart cuz we don't have a walmart here. Dang it. and the ugly staples ones are all 1 size in a box. booooo. And alas, walmart doesn't sell theirs online

No Walmart, Really???!!! I wanna move where U live....LOL!!!

I think on Amazon you can order one certain size in one box......

I use both gelish and rcm polishes with rcm base and topcoat. I was having some difficulty with removal until I applied heat. After wrapping the remover soaked cotton pads with foil (heavy duty stays on very well), I laid an eye pillow over my nails. The eye pillow is the kind you can heat in the microwave. I happened to have one already, but I think there are probably several ways you can apply heat. Polish came right off!

I use both gelish and rcm polishes with rcm base and topcoat. I was having some difficulty with removal until I applied heat. After wrapping the remover soaked cotton pads with foil (heavy duty stays on very well), I laid an eye pillow over my nails. The eye pillow is the kind you can heat in the microwave. I happened to have one already, but I think there are probably several ways you can apply heat. Polish came right off!

I've been using the rubber finger thingies instead of the foil which work great but the heated eye pillow might help speed up the removal process for sure. Great idea completenovice!

I had a HORRIBLE time removing both Gelish and RCM. I practically destroyed my nails scraping the remains off, and straight acetone left them peeling and full of white dry sections. What helped me was using the OPI base coat/topcoat combo and purchasing a bottle of the Gelish remover. I apply the OPI only as a base coat (it dries very quickly) and then follow the regular SOG application procedure. I don't buff or use PH bond. Now it takes me half an hour to get a good removal with a sopping wet cotton ball full of Gelish remover and no scraping. Much better! I did try using a heating pad and it didn't help at all. So to each his own!

I use Gelish most of the time and have no problems with removal. I purchased the KISS ALL OR ONE ARTIFICIAL NAIL REMOVER that is for artificial nails, tip, and SOAK OFF GELS (which is just a container with remover where you dip your fingernails in) along with the SENSATIONAIL remover tool and removal has been pretty simple, no damage or dryness as with pure acetone. I lightly buff the top coat then soak for five minutes, scrape off some of the polish gently, then soak for another five or so minutes (never more than 12-15 min total per hand). After i scrape off the excess i usually just use a very fine finishing block to buff any left over product off. I have had good results with both these products and havent had any damage with my nails.

I use Gelish most of the time and have no problems with removal. I purchased the KISS ALL OR ONE ARTIFICIAL NAIL REMOVER that is for artificial nails, tip, and SOAK OFF GELS (which is just a container with remover where you dip your fingernails in) along with the SENSATIONAIL remover tool and removal has been pretty simple, no damage or dryness as with pure acetone. I lightly buff the top coat then soak for five minutes, scrape off some of the polish gently, then soak for another five or so minutes (never more than 12-15 min total per hand). After i scrape off the excess i usually just use a very fine finishing block to buff any left over product off. I have had good results with both these products and havent had any damage with my nails.

With all due respect, this sounds like a problem already. You should not be soaking the entire finger in remover, just applying it to the nail with a wrap. There should be very little scraping and you should never have enough left to need to buff. When you twist off the wraps, it should come off with only minor pushing and no scraping. Over time, the repeating buffing will thin and damage your nails. It won't happen immediately, but over the course of several months, it will almost certainly happen.

You might take a look at this recent article in Nails Magazine on page 124 - http://nailsmag.epubxp.com/i/91141/55 It has some great info from Doug Schoon. Take a look at those microscopic pictures on page 129. It really shows the damage of improper removal.