SOG LED nail lamps

I started my SOG addiction with Shellac but my nails always felt so bendy with it (before the acrygel discovery) and I wanted the shorter time using LED. Chickettes wrote that she cures some of the Shellac colors in her LED. I have too many bases, but have terrible removals and would love to get the Shellac base since everyone says it's the best for removal. How long do you cure it in the LED light? I have the Gelish 18g.

I like the ease of Shellac removal as well, although OPI's base works almost as well and I often use that. I cure Shellac base for 30 seconds in either my OPI or my Gelish 18G lamp.

I have the OPI, and Kiss and Cuccio and Revel, Vitagel and RCM. My nails are starting to look healthier since I started wearing RNP base underneath so I am hoping eventually I will be able to even stop using acrygel so removals will get easier. I have also gone overboard trying different top coats.

I have the OPI, and Kiss and Cuccio and Revel, Vitagel and RCM. My nails are starting to look healthier since I started wearing RNP base underneath so I am hoping eventually I will be able to even stop using acrygel so removals will get easier. I have also gone overboard trying different top coats.

It is interesting. When I started with gel polish (CD Shellac), I was trying lots of products, trying to find out what works for me. Almost four years later, I have found what works for me is - either OPI or Shellac base, colour coat, and Gelish Top It Off. I use color coats from lots of different brands, but tend towards OPI, LeChat, and Gelish. I'd like to try Shellac again, but only when it becomes LED curable. Since starting with IBX, I've stopped using acrygel, in part so I can assess any improvements it might make. I used to spend my money on new systems; now I spend it on new colors (somehow, the money still gets spent)! When I started, I was casting my net widely, trying every new system and product out there - now I am narrowing down my choices to select products.

Unless you are using CND Shellac, or some other UV-only gel, I don't see the point in getting a traditional UV lamp instead of an LED. Even when you don't use your lamp very often, the bulbs generally need replacement at least every six months and for this lamp, with six instead of the usual 4 bulbs, that gets expensive fast. In fact, each set of new bulbs could easily cost you the reduced price of this lamp. By the time you've changed the bulbs four times, you've paid for a good LED lamp.

Thanks so much Nancy! I usually get my nails done at the salon and typically only use CND Shellac. Are there any lamps that allow me to use a broader range of polishes?

Thanks so much Nancy! I usually get my nails done at the salon and typically only use CND Shellac. Are there any lamps that allow me to use a broader range of polishes?

You may be just asking Nancy, but I have a ThermalSpa UV Gel Light Nail Dryer that I've had since I began with SOG nearly 3 years ago. I've never changed the bulbs and have done my nails every 2 to 3 weeks. I use any brand I want except some rare ones that are ONLY for LED. You can cure polishes that will cure in the LED light with a UV lamp, but not vice versa. I do the LED polishes (OPI, RNP, Gelish, etc.) base coat 1 minute, colors 2 to 3 minutes depending on if they are very dark colors or not. Top coat 2 minutes. I still use CND base most of the time and cure that for 10-15 seconds. I have no idea why my bulbs have lasted so long - I still get perfect curing in the times I've been using since the outset.

If you want a link for where you could buy that lamp PM me and I'll send it.

You may be just asking Nancy, but I have a ThermalSpa UV Gel Light Nail Dryer that I've had since I began with SOG nearly 3 years ago. I've never changed the bulbs and have done my nails every 2 to 3 weeks. I use any brand I want except some rare ones that are ONLY for LED. You can cure polishes that will cure in the LED light with a UV lamp, but not vice versa. I do the LED polishes (OPI, RNP, Gelish, etc.) base coat 1 minute, colors 2 to 3 minutes depending on if they are very dark colors or not. Top coat 2 minutes. I still use CND base most of the time and cure that for 10-15 seconds. I have no idea why my bulbs have lasted so long - I still get perfect curing in the times I've been using since the outset.

I think I have the same lamp as kathyathome (larger 2 handed model.) I've had mine for 2 years next month and use it every 7-10 days. No problem at all with the bulbs or the lamp itself. I wasn't willing or able to spend a ton of money when I first started so the lamp I chose fit my budget nicely and works well.

That said, I've been thinking about upgrading to an LED lamp FOREVER. I like deep colors and usually do 3 coats. I also use acrygel and 2 base coats. All that curing time really adds up with a UV lamp. One of these days I'll pull the trigger. LOL!

You're a god send! There are so many things w/this process and I am trying to learn it all.

Popping in to see if anyone knows of any "free" polish w/ lamp purchase special deals that may be running. IIRC, there were a few at this time last year.

I'm not a professional, just a DIYer so no access to pro-only sites/shops.

Thanks!

Sorry if these questions have already been answered, but I did some searching of this thread and couldn't find it answered specifically.
1. When buying an LED lamp is there a number you look for besides the watts?
2. Does a 45 watt cure any faster than a 6 watt?
3. Are there any lights that cure faster than 30 seconds for most of the polishes?

Of the brands I have, all say 30 seconds except RCM, which says 45 seconds, and none of them specify watts. Normally I go buy the "you get what you pay for" maxim, but I'm wondering if there is going to be any difference in cure time for me between Harmony 5-45 for $140 (45 watts) and Vogue Pro for $42 (18 watts). If not, I'll just look for a light with the features and size I want and pay no attention to the watts, but that doesn't really seem to make sense to me. I have a UV light I love, but since it's nearly time for Christmas lists, I'd like to put an LED on my list just to save myself some time when I'm not using Shellac.

Sorry if these questions have already been answered, but I did some searching of this thread and couldn't find it answered specifically.
1. When buying an LED lamp is there a number you look for besides the watts?
2. Does a 45 watt cure any faster than a 6 watt?
3. Are there any lights that cure faster than 30 seconds for most of the polishes?

Of the brands I have, all say 30 seconds except RCM, which says 45 seconds, and none of them specify watts. Normally I go buy the "you get what you pay for" maxim, but I'm wondering if there is going to be any difference in cure time for me between Harmony 5-45 for $140 (45 watts) and Vogue Pro for $42 (18 watts). If not, I'll just look for a light with the features and size I want and pay no attention to the watts, but that doesn't really seem to make sense to me. I have a UV light I love, but since it's nearly time for Christmas lists, I'd like to put an LED on my list just to save myself some time when I'm not using Shellac.

Wattage is a measure of how much energy a lamp uses, not its output. That said, there is some correlation between wattage and output. A 12 watt lamp simply won't cure as fast as a 40 watt lamp. 30 seconds is the fastest cure I've ever seen. Personally, I feel that there's no point in going LED unless you go all the way. So, if you're committed to this hobby, I'd pass on these cheap 6 or 18 watt lamps and go for a good quality 30-45 watt one (and I think the 5-45 is only 18 watts; the 5-45 refers to five finger and 45 seconds). Last I checked a 5-45 cost about $150. For $45 more, you can get a Gelish 18G (check NTS) or an ACG Pro 30.