So, who's spring cleaning?

Yep, I did a New Year's Day cleaning. I gave away 7 kitchen garbage bags full of stuff to the Salvation Army.

I'm still cleaning -- I actually do it throughout the year. Hubby and I are hoping to move to a bigger place by the end of the year, so I'm hoping to have a lot less junk to move when that day happens.

I am going inch by inch through every little nook and cranny of my apartment to purge, purge, purge. I have to do this because I am redecorating and thew new furniture is much smaller. But it does feel good and I think the apartment will look much better with the new furniture. I am going arts and crafts style with the new look.

I am amazed at how much dust can accumulate. I hate dusting because I have allergies and need to take a an antihistamine for the last 3 days while I clean. Otherwise, I break out into hives.

Clothes I sort every few months to give to the charity shop, so they're no problem as I keep on top of them.

But last night I tried to open the storage side of my closet and it was like avalanche of junk that hit me, so I decided to start cleaning it out before theres an accident! I think I'd just shoved all the stuff in there that I didn't want lying about - there was everything from CD's to phone wires, wool from when I tried to knit (haha) even some maracas that I'd been given. I feel much better now for sorting it out, although I've only done the top shelf - I think there's another four to go.

I'm trying so hard!! I love spring cleaning, but it seems with our kids right now...it's just impossible! You know? One step forward and two back.

Newgrlontheblok (sp?)...where are you?! I"ve read some of your posts...you'd have my house in shape in spite of the kids in no time...I just know it! :smile:

I've been doing it for a couple of weeks now. A little at a time. I started with our master suite...put good bit of winter clothing in cleaners--coats..sweaters and then stored them away. Cleaned, organized closets better. Cleared all clutter from room--not much to begin with but whatever didn't belong there had to go..youngest toys etc..lol.

Dusting everywhere. I've been behind in dusting during the winter and it's really piled up especially on the stairs and woodwork. Windows inside and out. For inside I cleaned but for the outside we hired someone because we have a lot of windows and some are high. The guys we hire always do a great job.

We hire a landscaper to do our yard initially for each season change..just to clear out all of the debris collected during winter etc.....afterwards my husband maintains it.

Cleaned the boys rooms---put away winter clothing..organized closets. Prepared unusued and unwanted items for charity pickup next week. 4 year olds room looks as if I never did anything to it of course....LOL. He's wild.

Still more to do... but it's coming along great so far.

**I just read your post Mshel...LOL...It's the same here...we have two boys so I'm always taking a step backwards.....lol. Sometimes I just throw my hands up and say "I quit!" and when I quit..I really quit..I don't wash dishes or anything. Some days are better than others. I've learned to let things go sometimes. It's difficult though....lol

I'm organizing my Dad's office and business :shocked: It's going to take WEEKS to get everything in order, because my Dad is not a neat person. Papers covering his desk in stacks, stuff everywhere...I made him sit down today and sort out the stacks of receipts, notecards, scrap paper pieces, invoices, etc. into what he does and doesn't need to keep. That's just the top of the pile, lol

His filofax alone is 15 years old and stuffed to the brim so badly that it won't even close anymore. Over 800 cards that have to be sorted through, old contacts tossed out and current ones re-written and filed alphabetically. That will take a full day..

Then the filing cabinets, the book shelves...I'm his secretary as my summer job now, and things will NEVER be this badly out of order again. He's lucky I'm about as anal as they get lol

**I just read your post Mshel...LOL...It's the same here...we have two boys so I'm always taking a step backwards.....lol. Sometimes I just throw my hands up and say "I quit!" and when I quit..I really quit..I don't wash dishes or anything. Some days are better than others. I've learned to let things go sometimes. It's difficult though....lol

Man, I have to admit...I'm getting frustrated, maybe overwhelmed. The problem with 'i quit'...is then you have 3x as much later!!:nuts: We moved into our home 2 yrs. ago..and there are some wood floors but the rest is WHITE:wtf: carpet!! I have 3 kids under 6! That's my biggest 'I'm defeated and I quit' problem!
We want to switch it all to wood...but...(where's the $$$ smiley??) :smile:

I keep the house clean and organized throughout the year. I schedule daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and half a year cleanings. I'm such a neat freak. I keep things organized and clean so I don't have to stress out when it comes to times like spring cleaning. I also find it easier to keep things clean and organized on a regular basis. It saves me from putting more effort and time into cleaning/organizing than if I were to do it once.

We did our vegetable garden (no veggies yet, too cold, just turned the soil and added...ok yuuuk, cow "stuff", is there a smilie shuddering-and-grossed-out?) and cleaned up the yard and flower beds, next weekend is the windows and screens and power-washing everything outside.

I do mine in phases. We did the bedroom two weeks ago, the living room this week, and the kitchen is next.

All the moving of furniture and stuff is just too hard to do all at once.