So this listing has me stumped...........!

alansgail

Feb 15, 2014
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fendi-Peeka...sh=item3acc1effa1:g:WJgAAOSw8oFX0vQt#shpCntId

The bag appears to be in Russia. The price is low and I was going to have it authenticated before I saw how much the shipping was.......$1000. From Russia to U.S.

When I went in to report it (because the shipping seems exorbitantly high to me) there was no dropdown to report it appropriately.
Can someone enlighten me as to how this is allowed on ebay? Or is it?
Maybe I'm just missing something here?

I just reported it for avoiding EBay fees, since I believe the point in charging $1000 for shipping is so they don't get charged fees on it. That was my best guess. ;)
Ebay doesn't have the report button for excessive shipping fees because they now charge FVF on the entire amount - item price plus shipping. Ebay smartened up when they finally figured out that sellers were circumventing fees by charge pennies for items but megabucks for shipping.

The seller will be in for a surprise when she sees her ebay bill where she's charged $150 in fees.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I once saw a listing with a similar situation where the item was fairly inexpensive, and the shipping was insanely inflated. The seller explained in their listing that they had a limit for their price since they were new to selling in that category so they charged more for shipping to get a fair total price. I've never heard of that before, but things were different when I was an ebay noob back in '03.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I once saw a listing with a similar situation where the item was fairly inexpensive, and the shipping was insanely inflated. The seller explained in their listing that they had a limit for their price since they were new to selling in that category so they charged more for shipping to get a fair total price. I've never heard of that before, but things were different when I was an ebay noob back in '03.
Yep, don't think that those same rules apply these days. This listing just seems wrong in so many ways.

Ebay doesn't have the report button for excessive shipping fees because they now charge FVF on the entire amount - item price plus shipping. Ebay smartened up when they finally figured out that sellers were circumventing fees by charge pennies for items but megabucks for shipping.

The seller will be in for a surprise when she sees her ebay bill where she's charged $150 in fees.

Yes BB, she's a new seller and doesn't know what she's doing. I guess she'll learn the hard way.

I believe that is still true. There might not be a per item limit but there could be an aggregate limit, so if her limit is $3000, she can only sell 2 $1500 items but she could sell 6 $500 items. Shipping cost doesn't count in the limit.

She also sold a Chanel (no idea if authentic) for $500 with $350 shipping on August 1.

If it's a newbie limit, it's surprising that she's limited to just one item. I've seen newbies with many expensive listings and have wondered how they were able to list so many.

Reactions: PikaboICU
I believe that is still true. There might not be a per item limit but there could be an aggregate limit, so if her limit is $3000, she can only sell 2 $1500 items but she could sell 6 $500 items. Shipping cost doesn't count in the limit.

Yep the newbie seller has limits to both. Number of items & monetary limits- and they also have category limits so it may be 26 items but only 5 in handbags 10 in dresses etc..

She also sold a Chanel (no idea if authentic) for $500 with $350 shipping on August 1.

If it's a newbie limit, it's surprising that she's limited to just one item. I've seen newbies with many expensive listings and have wondered how they were able to list so many.

I tried to edit my other post but I can't now..
I recalled last night reading that in some cases a seller that has an established account can call eBay & have them up limits on a new account based on their other selling accounts.
I'm not sure if that's accurate but I've read it more than once.
It makes sense because like you, I've seen some new sellers listing way above the limits set for newbies.

I tried to edit my other post but I can't now..
I recalled last night reading that in some cases a seller that has an established account can call eBay & have them up limits on a new account based on their other selling accounts.
I'm not sure if that's accurate but I've read it more than once.
It makes sense because like you, I've seen some new sellers listing way above the limits set for newbies.
I think sometimes limits are added to an account after the seller has some questionable transactions or had listings removed.

Reactions: PikaboICU
I'm just glad to know that there is a reason for pricing that way. eBay has so many rules and I don't know most of them!
Thank you ladies for the possible explanations, good to know!

EBay wanted to further line their pockets with charging for all shipping in the final value fee calculation.
They could've easily made it so that you could only charge a fair value for shipping but that wouldn't have made them as much money. That function would not have been rocket science to write.

Reactions: whateve
The seller has a 14 days money back return policy (buyer pays return shipping), so if the buyer decides to return the bag, the seller still makes a nice profit. :hrmm: :amazed:

The seller has a 14 days money back return policy (buyer pays return shipping), so if the buyer decides to return the bag, the seller still makes a nice profit. :hrmm: :amazed:
That is another reason to charge a lot for shipping. I don't overcharge on shipping but I like to make sure my costs are covered in the event of a return.