SHOWTIME - The Affair

AnnaFreud

Dec 28, 2013
Is anyone else watching this show??? Just saw the first episode and I just have to say WOW! Seriously, I will be the first one to say that I thought it would be lame just given the title. So it's obviously about an affair but it's told from two perspectives - the man and the woman involved.

I hope there are other tPFers that watch so we can discuss!

I have been watching this since it started although I missed last week's episode. I thought it was good and I liked the dual perspective style of storytelling. It shows how different a man and a woman perceive the same situation. However, sometimes I get distracted by the lips of Maura and Ruth. I'm not sure about Ruth but it looks like Maura messed with her lips. I know, it's trivial:smile:

I have been watching this since it started although I missed last week's episode. I thought it was good and I liked the dual perspective style of storytelling. It shows how different a man and a woman perceive the same situation. However, sometimes I get distracted by the lips of Maura and Ruth. I'm not sure about Ruth but it looks like Maura messed with her lips. I know, it's trivial:smile:

I get distracted by Ruth (the one that plays Alison, right?). In some light she looks young then in other light/angle, she looks old and haggard. Maybe that's on purpose? Funny how in his version he saves his daughter while she was choking and in her version, she did. Also, are we to believe that Alison is dealing with her grief with sex?

I saw some interview clips and they really put a lot of thought into the man's and the woman's perspectives. For example, when Noah is narrating, Alison is shown dressed provocatively and his wife dowdily. But when it is time for Alison's perspective, the same scenes will show her dressed regularly and the wife more like a classy, rich woman.

I saw some interview clips and they really put a lot of thought into the man's and the woman's perspectives. For example, when Noah is narrating, Alison is shown dressed provocatively and his wife dowdily. But when it is time for Alison's perspective, the same scenes will show her dressed regularly and the wife more like a classy, rich woman.

I just noticed that too. I was thinking wait a minute, wasn't she wearing a different dress?? I also just read a really interesting article about the two perspectives on this show here:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/..._of_series_that_premieres_thursday_night.html.

I have watched from the beginning. I wondered why there was no thread for it. Every scene is filmed twice. The costumes are different, and hair and make-up. Even the interiors may be different. People have said that male viewers side with Noah and female viewers with Alison. Frankly I don't like either one of them! LOL!

The best actress is Mare Winningham as Cole's mother. She is a scary piece of work. All apple pie, horses and drug dealing. Alison's hippy mom has her number exactly too.

I am getting a little tired of the police detective and how that fits into the timeline. This last epi he was reading Noah's book about Montauk as if it was a trail to follow. Scotty is the one who was killed, but you are not sure exactly when it happened and why the detective is investigating years later. I can only conclude that he is after a drug ring and/or Scotty's death is part of this.

In the early episodes, you see Alison dressed for the city and she is older and has a child. It is not clear if she is being interviewed at the same time as Noah. I don't think so and it has been pointed out that the detective has two different stories regarding his own marital status vis a vis being married and divorced and that is what gives the hints about when he is interviewing them.

Just wanted to add a thank you to AnnaFreud for starting this thread!

I have watched from the beginning. I wondered why there was no thread for it. Every scene is filmed twice. The costumes are different, and hair and make-up. Even the interiors may be different. People have said that male viewers side with Noah and female viewers with Alison. Frankly I don't like either one of them! LOL!

The best actress is Mare Winningham as Cole's mother. She is a scary piece of work. All apple pie, horses and drug dealing. Alison's hippy mom has her number exactly too.

I am getting a little tired of the police detective and how that fits into the timeline. This last epi he was reading Noah's book about Montauk as if it was a trail to follow. Scotty is the one who was killed, but you are not sure exactly when it happened and why the detective is investigating years later. I can only conclude that he is after a drug ring and/or Scotty's death is part of this.

In the early episodes, you see Alison dressed for the city and she is older and has a child. It is not clear if she is being interviewed at the same time as Noah. I don't think so and it has been pointed out that the detective has two different stories regarding his own marital status vis a vis being married and divorced and that is what gives the hints about when he is interviewing them.

Just wanted to add a thank you to AnnaFreud for starting this thread!

Yay, gracekelly! Thanks for this analysis. I love when we're on the same thread! 😊

Okay, I'm only on Episode 3. Scotty is one of the 4 brothers, right? He's kinda creepy. I remember that scene from the party where he was getting ready to go upstairs with Noah's teenage daughter. Gross. Maybe he messed around with her and she's the one who ran him over.

Yay, gracekelly! Thanks for this analysis. I love when we're on the same thread! ��

Okay, I'm only on Episode 3. Scotty is one of the 4 brothers, right? He's kinda creepy. I remember that scene from the party where he was getting ready to go upstairs with Noah's teenage daughter. Gross. Maybe he messed around with her and she's the one who ran him over.

Me too! :yahoo:

Yes, he is the creepy one with the wife who sells the overpriced jam to the touristas. That certainly is a thought about Whitney, it certainly would be a twist! Maybe Bruce loaned her the car or her idiotic grandmother.

BTW, I think that Joshua Jackson is very hot on the series!

Me too! :yahoo:

Yes, he is the creepy one with the wife who sells the overpriced jam to the touristas. That certainly is a thought about Whitney, it certainly would be a twist! Maybe Bruce loaned her the car or her idiotic grandmother.

BTW, I think that Joshua Jackson is very hot on the series!

Right now all the brothers look alike to me so thanks for clearing that up.

And I also love me some Pacey! 😋