Should your Doctor be obligated to report you to the DMV For bad eyesight ?

YES!!

I actually totaled a car awhile back because some reallly old guy (90+) was driving his station wagon...I was going through an intersection on a green light...he just turned left right in front of me!!

The police told me that based on how badly damaged my car was, they were shocked that we were not seriously injured/killed.

Maybe if a doctor would have reported his terrible eyesight, he would not have been on the road...

In this case, was it proven that his bad eyesight was the cause of the accident?

I don't know if my dad knew how bad his vision was. I think he got used to it over time, and didn't realize how terrible it was until the cataract was removed and he could see again. He didn't tell us, and we would have taken his keys had we known.

I was like that with my first pair of glasses. I didn't know how bad I couldn't see until my vision was corrected and I could see. Of course, I was only 10 and not driving at the time. . .

I don't know if my dad knew how bad his vision was. I think he got used to it over time, and didn't realize how terrible it was until the cataract was removed and he could see again. He didn't tell us, and we would have taken his keys had we known.

I was like that with my first pair of glasses. I didn't know how bad I couldn't see until my vision was corrected and I could see. Of course, I was only 10 and not driving at the time. . .

Everyone knows that they have poor eyesight when they are not able to read signs at a distance etc. I am glad your Dad has had his cataract removed and is now fine to drive again. Had an accident occured due to his previously bad eyesight, it would totally have been his responsibility.

I think the doctor has a moral right to report people who should not be on the road. Too many innocent people get killed by these people who shouldn't be driving, most of them are too old to drive in my opinion. At least if you live where there are a lot of retired people you realize how dangerous they are on the road. I have seen more than one accident caused by careless driving.

I also question the MVD eye tests. I wear glasses and took the test in Florida and the woman said "why do you wear glasses-your eyesight is perfect", now I know I can't see distances without my glasses. She insisted nothing was wrong with my eyes. I still wear glasses and will continue to wear them for driving but one has to wonder.

I think the doctor has a moral right to report people who should not be on the road. Too many innocent people get killed by these people who shouldn't be driving, most of them are too old to drive in my opinion. At least if you live where there are a lot of retired people you realize how dangerous they are on the road. I have seen more than one accident caused by careless driving.

I also question the MVD eye tests. I wear glasses and took the test in Florida and the woman said "why do you wear glasses-your eyesight is perfect", now I know I can't see distances without my glasses. She insisted nothing was wrong with my eyes. I still wear glasses and will continue to wear them for driving but one has to wonder.

It is totally impractical and would be a breach of D/P confidentiality for a doctor to call DMV with such info. The DMV could , however, request a letter from a doctor through the patient.

In this case, was it proven that his bad eyesight was the cause of the accident?

Nope, to my knowledge it was never officially listed as the cause of the accident...since it was so obvious that the accident was completely his fault via eyewitnesses, it was a pretty cut and dry case...also, the man kept saying over and over "I just didn't see her"...

The insurance companies settled really quickly...I had my new car in like 1.5 weeks!!:yes:

Nope, to my knowledge it was never officially listed as the cause of the accident...since it was so obvious that the accident was completely his fault via eyewitnesses, it was a pretty cut and dry case...also, the man kept saying over and over "I just didn't see her"...

The insurance companies settled really quickly...I had my new car in like 1.5 weeks!!:yes:

I am glad things worked out for you and that you were not hurt! There are many reasons a person may not 'see' something. To name a few, distraction (eating while driving, taking on a cell), obscured vision (by a tree etc), poor vision. My point here is that, if a person has poor vision it is HIS/HER responsibility not to drive. This responsibility cannot be passed over to a non DMV attached doctor. I certainly think that the DMV can request that all applicants undergo an medical examination by a doctor prior issuing a lisence(imagine the can of worms this will open!!). I think most doctors would be unwilling to participate in this due to the tremendous litigation issues.

I am glad things worked out for you and that you were not hurt! There are many reasons a person may not 'see' something. To name a few, distraction (eating while driving, taking on a cell), obscured vision (by a tree etc), poor vision. My point here is that, if a person has poor vision it is HIS/HER responsibility not to drive. This responsibility cannot be passed over to a non DMV attached doctor. I certainly think that the DMV can request that all applicants undergo an medical examination by a doctor prior issuing a lisence(imagine the can of worms this will open!!). I think most doctors would be unwilling to participate in this due to the tremendous litigation issues.

I am not sure about other states, but in Arizona, you don't have to get retested for like 50 or 60 years!! I am 23, and I think that my license expires in 2048?!??!?!:confused1:

I definitely agree with you that better/more frequent DMV eye tests is a better solution than requiring doctors to report it.:yes:

In the gentleman's case who hit me, there was no tree, no cell phone, etc...just his poor eye sight:wtf: