Shopping for an e-ring as a couple

I hope I haven't been married too long to make my response irrelevant, but my DH chose my engagement ring by himself and surprised me with it. That was 29 years ago when I was 22 years old.

I thought I was the queen of the universe with my pretty little diamond and my awesome guy.

When I reached my 40's, I stopped wearing my e-ring and just wore my wedding band.

When I got to my 50"s I seriously wanted a HUGE, CLEAR, NO COLOR, NO FLAWS diamond solitaire. It was at this point that we shopped together. I made my original e-ring into a pendant and my new e-ring is, well, spectacular.

I guess my point is, we reach different stages in our lives at different times and we are all different in what works for us as a couple.

^have we seen this upgrade? I can't remember who has posted and who has not!

Unfortunately not! LOL! I am the most technologically un-savvy person on earth so I don't know how to post pictures. I'll ask my DH to help me take photos and post them this weekend. If it weren't for him, I'd still be watching black and white TV, using a rotary phone, and listening to a Walkman! LOL!

My fiance didn't know anything about diamonds, but he trusted me to choose the one I wanted, as well as the ring setting. He didn't give me a budget either. He said that he could never place a price on his love for me... so he went with whatever I felt would be reasonable.

He then kept the ring for a few months while he planned his proposal.

I think it's perfectly normal. DH (then boyfriend) and I were in a jewelry store and he casually walked over to the rings and asked me what I would like someday. I basically told him I wanted a round solitaire and those were my only specifics, of course not knowing he was planning to propose after just 5 short weeks of dating. lol I had no idea! (We had previously hung out as strictly platonic friends for a few months.) I'm glad he found a way to ask me, because if he had given me a princess cut in an elaborate yellow gold setting or something I didn't want, I would have been disappointed. (Not that I don't like princess cut or yellow gold, I just preferred a simple round diamond in a platinum solitaire setting, KWIM, we all have our own preferences.) He got me a 1.5 carat in a tulipset in white gold and we later replaced the setting to a platinum tulipset. I feel I got the best of both worlds, because he surprised me (REALLY SURPRISED ME) and I got exactly what I wanted.

Swanky, I want to upgrade too....say to a 2.5 cwt. ;) What was your occasion for upgrading? Anniversary? We are approaching 7 years, but upgrading ain't happening this year, that's for sure. :crybaby:

My DH's proposal was not a normal one....but shopping together to pick the diamond was fun. Here's my story.....a rather unusual one.

DH and I talked about getting engaged 6 months prior to the proposal. He told me his plan was to surprise me with the ring. Being picky about diamonds, I asked what he had in mind. He said the cheaper and clouder the better. :cursing: I think he was kidding though, but I kept hinting to him my ideal diamond. Months gone by and still no ring. Then out of the blue one night after dinner, he got down to his knee and proposed to me with a cheap ring he bought from the candy machine. I was totally in shock. :wtf: Ok, at that point, I thought he was such a cheapskate and probably the cheapest guy in the world, but I said yes anyway. Bottom line was I really love him and the ring didn't matter....but can't wonder why he did that. I hated the ring and can't see myself wearing it for the rest of my life. The cheap bendable metal will eventually give out. Actually, I was too embarrassed to show it off, fearing everyone would laugh at me. Two weekends later, he asked me to go with him to the jewelers to fix his father's watch. There I looked at the rings on display and fell in love with a ruby ring with diamonds, but the setting wasn't to my liking. The jeweler said he will find a better ruby. Then DH said surprise! Pick whatever you want and that will be your engagement ring. Whoo! Now that's my guy. :yahoo: We spent the next several days finding my ideal ruby and loose diamonds for the setting. I was very specific as to want I wanted. When we finally found the one, his parents and my parents had an issue of it not being the traditional diamond ring. So, we ended up looking for diamonds only and found a beautiful colorless, round diamond for my er and as a bonus, he insisted that we get another colorless round diamond for a pendant. So, I got a set for my engagement.... the ring is to tell the world that I belong to him and the pendant to tell the world that he will always be in my heart. :love:

So, back to your question, shopping together is common and a great experience. You don't want to end up with the ring you're not 100% crazy about.

My DH and I went ring shopping together and finally found a diamond that we both liked while visiting our home area (San Francisco) even though we were living in the Los Angeles area. Ironically, the SF jeweler sent the diamond to the LA jewelry district to have my setting made, so when it was ready for delivery, the SF jeweler asked if we wanted it mailed from LA to our home in LA or just go and pick up the darn thing. So, guess who picked it up? Me!!! But, I was happy!!

So, then my DH "officially" proposed to me on a planned weekend in San Diego. But, he made all of the hotel reservations (I usually do it!) and he had thought of a cute way to give me the ring for the proposal. So, no surprise but still perfect in all ways!!! We've now been married for almost 8 years.

So, I think it's fine for you to go with your BF to shop for your wedding ring and definately let him know your ring size so that there are no surprises in how the e-ring fits when you officially receive it!!

Have fun shopping for your e-ring with your BF but definately do research on the diamonds - it takes a bit of time, but it's worth it!

We did the diamond shopping together because he and I both felt that's something we both need to be involved with. I selected a few stones that Iwas happy with stat-wise and pricewise and let him choose from those. He left the setting ball in my court. The wedding rings we each just picked what we wanted and sent an email of price and where to buy them.

We're hopelessly unromantic ;)

LOL imagine a man using his instinct to try and figure out what a woman wants! That would be tough ;)

ohh sista, that would be scary wouldn't it be?!

but i don't think it's odd to shop for a ring together. maybe just drop him a few pointers if he wants to do it by himself. I mean, it does have symbolic meaning and i think you would get the most out of it if it was a decision between you and him.:flowers:

My fiance didn't know anything about diamonds, but he trusted me to choose the one I wanted, as well as the ring setting. He didn't give me a budget either. He said that he could never place a price on his love for me... so he went with whatever I felt would be reasonable.

He then kept the ring for a few months while he planned his proposal.

yeah,there are some guys that don't know a clue bout them...but we got ti give credit to some of those that actually make an effort to find out. props!

I don't think that abnormal. My BF and I have looked at rings together, he's mentioned he wants me to be happy with the ring. We've only recently started looking and so far its going great!

OMG! Me and my boyfriend are always discussing this.. he always says that he doesn't know my tastes in which kind of e-ring I want.. because i'm sooo super picky! He's like.. you HAVE to go with me to pick out our e-ring or else i'm not buying it. Haha.. it seems like a win-win deal with me. I don't really need all that dazzle of a proposal really.. ^^;

My fiance and I picked out the ring together....I was still surprised because i didnt know when the ring would be done or when he would propose.

but every couple if different and you have to do whats right for both of you.

good luck!!!!

My fiance and I picked out my Whiteflash diamond together because it was such a big purchase. I decided that I wanted a Leon Mege setting, so I spoke with Leon directly about my likes/dislikes. After that, I was out of the loop and Leon basically designed my ring without more input from me or my fiance. My fiance surprised me with the custom setting at a time when I least expected it. Even though I knew about the diamond and had a hint about what my setting would look like, I was still totally surprised!

When my husband proposed we went into a few stores so I could show him the styles I liked. I was not there when he purchased, I didn't know when he bought it but I did get to have input in the decision.