Shopping bags..why are stores so cheap?

I hate crappy shopping bags.

I think my favourite bag has to be from Holt Renfrew!!!! Even the rope thingies are really soft and look expensive :roflmfao: And the bag is hot pink, so very pretty :lol: and it's easy to carry and it's quite sturdy too! :P

twiggers said:
OK...maybe I'm just weird...am I the only one who hates buying a bunch of clothes and they stick them into a little bag? Am I the only one who thinks plastic bags are cheap...I go to Macys and spend a couple hundred bucks and all I get is a plastic bag???
I went to Coach the other day...spent $400 and the cheap paper bag fell apart by the end of the day....sheesh!
Or the stores where the bag has a drawstring to wear as a backpack, and when you try to carry it in your hands it's almost dragging on the floor...

This is just one of my pet peeves...:mad:

Anyone else feel the same way?
Any stores in particular that you absolutely hate the bags they give out??

OH Boy...you just got my hot button. I get this all the time and it makes me nuts and when you say anything, they look at you like your the nut and the bags are coming out of their pay. I hate it when you buy something and they stuff it in a bag so small that everything is sticking out. Then when I ask for a larger bag so at least I can hold it by a handle and not with all the crap sticking out...they say we only have really big bags and it will be too big and I say its ok, I like it big and it turns into a hassel.:mad: or if you go into a mini mart and get 5 or six food items and the clerk looks at you and asks if you want a bag...duhhn..no I will juggle the tasteycakes, the cheese sticks, the gum, and the loaf of bread somehow:censor:I love shopping but I hate going through what i call the "bag Dance".

katiecouture said:
i don't care out all about bag quality in all honesty. the purpose of it is to get your purchase from the store to your car to your house. they aren't intended to be a cute item to carry around with you all day. i mean if louis vuitton gave out used publix bags to hold my new speedy i wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

I disagree, because when I am purchasing stuff and walking around the mall for a few hours, I want my shopping bags to be comfortable. If lv gave me a publix bag...I would demand a nice LV bag :yes: In fact, I may start using my large LV brown bags as a shopping bag when I go to the mall to put in all the plastic crap they give you. I remember the gap plastic bags, the blue dye used to come off. :mad:

starfused said:
i hate drawstring bags too! im exactly 5 feet, and when i carry those, they always almost touch the floor! its so irritating. :sad: and the plastic bags that macys give out. one more reason to ike nordstrom more. :lol:

Starfused, that's exactly what I go through. I'm 5ft 4, but even american apparel bags just drag along the floor when I walk. Polo/coach shopping bag strings are always too long.

On the other hand, I don't know if anyone here is interested or not, but shopping bags in Australia have improved a great deal. The US could learn a bit.

Bracewell, which sells sass&bide and mavi has bags that are gourmet dessert box shapes using heavy cardboard material.

Even supre which sells clothes for less than 30bucks have durable bags that are reusable and washable (think... cotton library bags?)

It's all about the plan to promote reusability. Customers are often asked if they need a bag or if they'd like to reuse the one they've already been given in the past. But obviously, you're still going to get a shopping bag, just that the shopping bags are nicer, and we're also being nicer to the environment.

I hate it when you go spend a few hundred or even a few thousand dollars at a certain boutique and they try to put the item in the smallest shopping bag possible, haha its so annoying its funny!

I hate cheap bags too. I bought a couple of magazines and some makeup at the drugstore one day and when I picked up the bag by the handle on of the handles broke from the weight of the magazines. It made me so mad, that they won't even spend the extra 2 cents to get a bag that can hold 2 magazines. It's a good thing I was only going to my car.

The drawstring bags drive me crazy too. I really don't understand what the thought process was when those were designed.

I'm also in this club - I hate plastic bags - when I make a substantial purchase. I want a nice damn bag to walk off with!!!! period. It feels splendid to carry a good looking shopping bag aftter you drop some bucks!! The supermarket is another pet peeve, If I don't ask specifically for paper, I end up with 20 plastic bags which are virtually impossible to handle - I have to keep large shopping bags in the trunk of my car for transferring.

Ughhhh!!

I absolutely hate plastic bags & folded paper bags. The folded paper bags is one of the 3847014781034 reasons why I didn't like to shop at JC Penny's. Sometimes they had okay stuff, but I absolutely couldn't stand having to hold that awkward bag. Ugh, lol.

Macy*s bags also annoy me. Macy*s is a fairly nice store...So why can't they put their things in a nicer bag???

lamiastella said:
Ughhhh!!

I absolutely hate plastic bags & folded paper bags. The folded paper bags is one of the 3847014781034 reasons why I didn't like to shop at JC Penny's. Sometimes they had okay stuff, but I absolutely couldn't stand having to hold that awkward bag. Ugh, lol.

Macy*s bags also annoy me. Macy*s is a fairly nice store...So why can't they put their things in a nicer bag???

employees hate the JCP bags too (I am one). Theirs are the worst bags of all time. The paper bags suck (they're like grocery store bags) and the plastic ones suck equally bad. they're tough for us to get open due to their stiff plastic, and they rip really easily along the bottom seam. it's ridiculous.

I love Saks bags. I like matte finish bags, not so much the shiny ones you get from NM.

CrazyBagLady said:
OH Boy...you just got my hot button. I get this all the time and it makes me nuts and when you say anything, they look at you like your the nut and the bags are coming out of their pay. I hate it when you buy something and they stuff it in a bag so small that everything is sticking out. Then when I ask for a larger bag so at least I can hold it by a handle and not with all the crap sticking out...they say we only have really big bags and it will be too big and I say its ok, I like it big and it turns into a hassel.:mad: or if you go into a mini mart and get 5 or six food items and the clerk looks at you and asks if you want a bag...duhhn..no I will juggle the tasteycakes, the cheese sticks, the gum, and the loaf of bread somehow:censor:I love shopping but I hate going through what i call the "bag Dance".

HAHA, then you would love the bag situation at convenience stores and smaller stores in Taiwan. You don't get bags for free here, you still have to pay 1 NTD (about .03 USD) per bag. And they don't automatically give it to you or even ASK if you want one. You have to ask for one, even if you buy a lot of stuff. :mad: 7-11's bags are not too bad, they're a thicker durable plastic, and I like to reuse them for garbage bags.