Shoes for sensitive feet

I can so relate! All my shoes give me blisters, except for 1 pair recently.

Things I've noticed:
~ avoid patent and pointy toe unless it's 1 size bigger
~ make sure the leather is soft and can mould to your foot
~ get shoes re-soled so there's another layer between you and the ground
~ use silicon cushions inside shoes to pad out problem areas

I have tried them all due to being a distance runner with on and off plantar fasciitis and a couple of broken foot bones in the past. For heels, I find Jimmy Choos with a small platform under the ball of the foot to be the most comfortable. For a general shoe, it would be Ferragamo Varas (not the Varina flat - I can only wear those for a few hours before my feet start to hurt). I have worn AGL, and they are OK, but I find that they have less support than I need, less than Ferragamo. Ferragamo heels are not too comfortable though. Chanel is OK, but it depends on the shoe. I find Chanel boots to be quite comfortable. For orthopedic shoes that look less awful than most (for when my feet are at their most painful and I am on my feet for 8-10 hours walking around at work), I wear Naot (not the ugly ones with the fat printed soles, there are some OK looking ones, I think the Pleasure is the most comfortable and it doesn't look horrible). Ziera/Kumfs are OK, and again have a few OK looking options and a lot of ugly ones. Munro flats are the only flats I can wear all day at work when my feet are acting up (not cute, but not awful and you can hide them a bit under trousers). Dansko and Ariat are very comfortable, but not at all stylish. I did have to wear them for 6 months right when recovering from a broken foot though.
Some general tips: A little block heel of 1-1.25 inches is often more comfortable than a flat. Pointy toes are rarely comfortable. A strappy shoe or Mary Jane can allow you to have enough room inside the shoe without the heel slipping off when you walk. This is based on my experience of trying everything from what my husband calls "nurse's shoes" to CL heels (and everything in between).

I can so relate! All my shoes give me blisters, except for 1 pair recently.

Things I've noticed:
~ avoid patent and pointy toe unless it's 1 size bigger
~ make sure the leather is soft and can mould to your foot
~ get shoes re-soled so there's another layer between you and the ground
~ use silicon cushions inside shoes to pad out problem areas
on patent: I had the impression that the Ferragamo Vara patent leather is very soft and would "stretch", no?

on patent: I had the impression that the Ferragamo Vara patent leather is very soft and would "stretch", no?
Patent leather will stretch but not as much as non-patent leather due to the stiff coating layer.
Personally, for comfort, I would avoid wearing patent leather shoes, and shoes with pointy-toe and narrow toe box. The support has to be sufficient as well - the material cannot be too soft.

Reactions: lovely_bag
Patent leather will stretch but not as much as non-patent leather due to the stiff coating layer.
Personally, for comfort, I would avoid wearing patent leather shoes, and shoes with pointy-toe and narrow toe box. The support has to be sufficient as well - the material cannot be too soft.
Thank you! Having in mind, that many women say they find Ferragamo uncomfortable, I will look for a pair of non-patent leather.

Thank you! Having in mind, that many women say they find Ferragamo uncomfortable, I will look for a pair of non-patent leather.

Ferragamo shoes need to be "broken in", once they are past that stage they are very comfortable
Wear them around the house first before going out on them
I used to work for Ferragamo and one of my customers was this sweet old lady with terrible feet, the only shoes she could wear and that fit her comfortably were the varas

Reactions: lovely_bag
I think that many of the people responding have not had foot problems. I used to think that AGLS or ballet flats were comfortable, but now I have to be very careful of what I wear. I have pinched nerves in the tops of my feet causing toe numbness and pain. Pointy toes are out, stilettos are out and anything that pinches my toes or instep, which is almost everything.
I also had to basically start over with shoes and I sold a LOT. The most comfortable are Taryn Rose, Mephisto, Arche, Aetrex, Dansko and Cydwoq (the vintage line runs narrow and the classic line is wider).
Best of luck- I know how hard it is to get rid of beautiful shoes and wear "comfort" brands out of necessity. It caused a bit of an identity crisis for me, but I decided that I'd rather save my feet from more pain, even if that means wearing shoes I never would have imagined I'd wear.

I think that many of the people responding have not had foot problems. I used to think that AGLS or ballet flats were comfortable, but now I have to be very careful of what I wear. I have pinched nerves in the tops of my feet causing toe numbness and pain. Pointy toes are out, stilettos are out and anything that pinches my toes or instep, which is almost everything.
I also had to basically start over with shoes and I sold a LOT. The most comfortable are Taryn Rose, Mephisto, Arche, Aetrex, Dansko and Cydwoq (the vintage line runs narrow and the classic line is wider).
Best of luck- I know how hard it is to get rid of beautiful shoes and wear "comfort" brands out of necessity. It caused a bit of an identity crisis for me, but I decided that I'd rather save my feet from more pain, even if that means wearing shoes I never would have imagined I'd wear.

I had very severe plantar fasciitis for ~3 years and was on and off crutches. During that time the only shoes I could tolerate were Mephisto, Naot, Kumfs/Ziera, Dansko, Aetrex and Jambu. I never tried Arche or Cydwoq. I tried Taryn Rose, but they were very painful for me. Now luckily my foot has healed and I can wear Varas, Varinas, Chanel flats, Jimmy Choo flats and low heels and amazingly Valentino Rockstuds. I can't wear thin ballerinas or flats though. AGLs are not as comfortable for me as the other brands listed, even now. I own 2 pairs, but I think they are too thin/flexible.