*Selling* on Mercari

I saw that she edited a listing a day ago so I messaged her today asking if she in fact shipped the item and that I noticed she was active since I messaged her on Saturday but didn’t respond. I told her I’d request to cancel if I didn’t hear back from her by the end of today. She replied within minutes stating that she’s in the hospital and that her daughter shares the account and won’t reply to messages unless it’s for her listings. She also said that all of the packages she shipped the day she shipped my item haven’t been entered into the system (really....) so she’s going to look into it with USPS.

I want to give her the benefit of the doubt if she’s actually in the hospital, but I noticed another buyer gave her a 1 star rating and I messaged that buyer, who told me the seller was in the hospital twice during their transaction (she waited, cancelled the purchase after 7 days, then seller approached her again about repurchasing). Am I an AH for thinking the seller is lying about being in the hospital because she didn’t ship? I’ve also never heard of ALL tracking numbers on packages shipped on the same date not registering. Sometimes packages move at different rates but USPS hasn’t even confirmed receipt in the system yet. Something doesn’t add up. Tomorrow will be one week since she allegedly shipped, and we’re both in CA so things usually arrive in 1-3 days.
I have my packages picked up from my home. I used to have problems with the carrier not scanning the packages when picked up, then the post office also wouldn't scan them. Usually they got scanned when they got to the distribution center but not always. Once in awhile, something wouldn't be scanned until delivery. In the last year or so, USPS has been very good with scanning everything.

I hate when people try to play on your sympathy. Who knows if it is true? If she is sick, maybe she should take a break from selling until she is better. Why kind of daughter won't help her mother out on her listings if she is in the hospital?

I have my packages picked up from my home. I used to have problems with the carrier not scanning the packages when picked up, then the post office also wouldn't scan them. Usually they got scanned when they got to the distribution center but not always. Once in awhile, something wouldn't be scanned until delivery. In the last year or so, USPS has been very good with scanning everything.

I hate when people try to play on your sympathy. Who knows if it is true? If she is sick, maybe she should take a break from selling until she is better. Why kind of daughter won't help her mother out on her listings if she is in the hospital?
The package arrived two days after she allegedly reshipped it. She claimed the original label got wet so the package was returned to her, but I didn’t see layers of labels on the package I received. I gave her 3/5 stars because I think she’s full of it.

On an unrelated note...a different user messaged me if I would consider $20 shipped for an item because they’re inbetween jobs and cash poor. I was skeptical but said ok and adjusted/reserved the listing for her. Then, crickets. I know that if I was unemployed I probably wouldn’t be making $20 offers on shampoo.

On an unrelated note...a different user messaged me if I would consider $20 shipped for an item because they’re inbetween jobs and cash poor. I was skeptical but said ok and adjusted/reserved the listing for her. Then, crickets. I know that if I was unemployed I probably wouldn’t be making $20 offers on shampoo.
Exactly! I would have ignored, silently telling her that she should be spending money on food if she's between jobs and cash poor.

I have used Mercari for the first time. Seller was nice, answered all my questions and I agreed to pay almost $700 for used burberry trench in overall excellent condition. Upon arrival I noticed the lining coming apart on the sleeves. I contacted her, she agreed she didn't pay attention to it so I returned the trench and got my money back. Funny thing is (not for future buyer) she posted the same trench again, for the same price and she still didn't disclose the lining problem! I'm already upset for the future buyer :sad: other than that, I'm happy with Mercari, although not sure if I'm gonna buy anything used anytime soon :oh: I thought I'll give it a try....
20210903_152259.jpg

Mercari is really annoying in that you can't send the same offer again. This has happened to me several times. I send offers to likers. After the offer expires, a buyer contacts me and asks if I'm still willing to sell it for that price. I can't send them another offer without lowering the price.

Mercari is really annoying in that you can't send the same offer again. This has happened to me several times. I send offers to likers. After the offer expires, a buyer contacts me and asks if I'm still willing to sell it for that price. I can't send them another offer without lowering the price.
And having to wait 36 hours to send the next offer, too. It is such a pain.

I listed a new item yesterday. One of the likers "requested authentication." This is a Mercari service that they charge $5 for. I declined; I know it is authentic. Is this going to hurt my chances of selling it?

I listed a new item yesterday. One of the likers "requested authentication." This is a Mercari service that they charge $5 for. I declined; I know it is authentic. Is this going to hurt my chances of selling it?
Is there even a guarantee that the liker will buy it? I had a wannabe buyer (on ebay) ask about 1/2 dozen question and request 6 additional pictures for a bag that had all the information in the listing. I answered the questions, sent the pictures and .......... crickets.

Reactions: whateve
Is there even a guarantee that the liker will buy it? I had a wannabe buyer (on ebay) ask about 1/2 dozen question and request 6 additional pictures for a bag that had all the information in the listing. I answered the questions, sent the pictures and .......... crickets.
That's why I didn't do it. I think when you do it, you get some kind of badge on your listing so it would work with other buyers. I figured after I got it authenticated she might either ignore it or send me a lowball offer.

Reactions: BeenBurned
Hey friends,

I've posted a couple of items on Mercari for the first time. I've gotten funny messages that I don't know what to do with. One says:

"Still for sale ? If so Msg my line now xxx-xxx-xxxx with more pictures i am making payment through mercari but i have more questions which mercari is strictly remove chat"

And I got another message from an "inactive user" that said:
"if available for sale?Kindly message me on xxx-xxx-xxxx with more pictures thanks."

Are these scam techniques?

And there are a couple other. The language and the poor grammar are red flags. The fact that I have several messages like this are also red flags. But isn't Mercari respectable? Shouldn't this kind of thing be weeded out if they are scams?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Yes.
People are scamming for all sorts of reasons. Theft, general confusion surrounding app functionality and scams, general mistrust of other people in the marketplace (especially when they cant "feel" them), and even emotional manipulation. This is not exclusive to Mercari- there are plenty of scammers on Amazon, Ebay, Etsy etc...

How do you spot a potential scammer?
Lookout for generic or stock images- if their listing doesn't have some photos that show the product being offered/their goods in some form after close inspection then it may be worth steering clear of them. Another mark against someone can be sketchy language use in their profile picture description- an outdated image will still have "current events" kind

Yesterday I listed a new item. I selected the smart pricing option. Today I got an angry message from someone who said I keep sending them offers for this new item. Is it the smart pricing that is doing it? I think it is still priced at my original price.