Secondhand Bargains....let's see your cheap treasures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks I have been wearing it. I love it regardless of what the brand is. imo its authentic but I still want to know 100%! lol
I imagine a jeweler whos familar with Chanel would know, also a pawn shop. Those guys know what to look for with fakes. You could go in under the guise of pawning the watch, and if they authenticate it as a Chanel, act insulted with the price they offer you and leave.:smile:

:roflmfao: I actually LOVE that idea!
Can you tell I watch too much Pawn Stars? However, guys in the pawn business know the higher end stuff and could steer you in the right direction. I think they can tell by looking at the inner workings. A friend of mine bought a Seiko from a now defunct lower end dept store. It stopped working, she took it to her jeweler and he said it was a fake due to the inner workings of the watch.

I've been thrifting fragrances lately ...

ohlazlo025.jpg

Yellow tags were half off today ...

Making these bottles $3 each ...

What for art thou Dear Wrapped Up Possibly Super Old Perfumes?

ohlazlo027.jpg

I am Norell and Norell II (red)

ohlazlo028.jpg

All I could find on Norell II is that it is a Rose Perfume

" A Big Rose Perfume "

Look at the original tag ...
ohlazlo030.jpg

The May Co. went out business some time back ...
ohlazlo031.jpg

And I do not see Five Star ... the peeps who bought Norell on any of this packaging. Of course, I haven't opened it.

The suspense is terrible, I hope it'll last ...

Plus this came from the same thrift store as the Norell Perfume that I so sadly dropped and then tried to glue. Failure. Then after two kinds of glue the bottle chipped ... due to my attacking it with a seam ripper. I was very desperate to get that perfume to my nose.

Here's the Norell perfume thrifted for $1.99
OutOftheCloset062.jpg

Then I dropped it and all hell broke loose ...

So I did get to the juice ... and it's very very nice. The rubber stopper in the bottle was so jammed in there. But now I can get to it. I love it.
ohlazlo032.jpg

I haven't opened them yet ...

ohlazlo033.jpg

I'm having a good time ...
ohlazlo020.jpg

Plus I found these ... for 40 cents each ... I like ... musk ... maybe ...
ohlazlo021.jpg

Estee Lauder Beyond Paradise ...

40 cents ... I couldn't walk away ...

ohlazlo025.jpg

ohlazlo027.jpg

ohlazlo028.jpg

" A Big Rose Perfume "

ohlazlo030.jpg

ohlazlo031.jpg

And I do not see Five Star ... the peeps who bought Norell on any of this packaging. Of course, I haven't opened it.

Plus this came from the same thrift store as the Norell Perfume that I so sadly dropped and then tried to glue. Failure. Then after two kinds of glue the bottle chipped ... due to my attacking it with a seam ripper. I was very desperate to get that perfume to my nose.

OutOftheCloset062.jpg

So I did get to the juice ... and it's very very nice. The rubber stopper in the bottle was so jammed in there. But now I can get to it. I love it.
ohlazlo032.jpg

ohlazlo033.jpg

ohlazlo020.jpg

ohlazlo021.jpg

What a bargain! I used to work in a dept store when I was in high school and college ( mid to late 70's ) I know the original Norell is from that time frame, and the Norell II probably late 70's. Oldies but goodies!

ohlazlo025.jpg

ohlazlo027.jpg

ohlazlo028.jpg

" A Big Rose Perfume "

ohlazlo030.jpg

ohlazlo031.jpg

OutOftheCloset062.jpg

ohlazlo032.jpg

ohlazlo033.jpg

ohlazlo020.jpg

ohlazlo021.jpg

Cool!
I have an old bottle of "toilet lotion" which I am only assuming is very old because the name is just so unappealing LOL!
I should look it up and see. I think it's absolutely hilarious.

BTW how should you store old perfumes like this? Is it bad to store it on a shelf like on display or should I be storing it out of sun and in a box somewhere? It was in a box in a storage room for years and years with a case of other ones (the cool perk of working in a very old drug store was that there were a ton of old things in the storage room to look at). I had one of these "toilet lotions" given to me when the store closed. I absolutely had to have one because of the hilarity factor of owning a bottle of toilet lotion hehe. I guess they just didn't have a better word for it back then? Anyway, it's been on display in my room on my bookshelf ever since I brought it home, but now I am kind of thinking it might not be a good idea to leave it there?

Last edited:
Can you tell I watch too much Pawn Stars? However, guys in the pawn business know the higher end stuff and could steer you in the right direction. I think they can tell by looking at the inner workings. A friend of mine bought a Seiko from a now defunct lower end dept store. It stopped working, she took it to her jeweler and he said it was a fake due to the inner workings of the watch.

I religiously watch pawn stars and storage wars. I am so addicted it's bad. I have to get in all the episodes that I can because I don't think we are getting cable in the place I am moving into this weekend. It seems like a huge waste since I won't be home much anyway and I always have the internet if I can watch episodes online.

I always read that perfumes have a limited life expectancy, but in reallife have had a very different experience.I store mine in boxes in a bedroom drawer, or in my basement which is cool. I have a vintage Givenchy L'Interdit from the 70's that smells as good as the day I bought it. I've only had 2 perfumes turn on me, a Chanel Coco from the early 90's and a YSL Opium from about the same time. What I look for in vintage fragrance is the perfumed oil, like bathoil. It tends not to go bad, I think because there is no alcohol to evaporate.

I religiously watch pawn stars and storage wars. I am so addicted it's bad. I have to get in all the episodes that I can because I don't think we are getting cable in the place I am moving into this weekend. It seems like a huge waste since I won't be home much anyway and I always have the internet if I can watch episodes online.
OMG! I love Storage Wars too! I wonder how much junk they buy to get to the treasure they show on the air.

Oh yeah, I think there are a lot of us!

I see so many pretty things at such a great price. Today I purchased Prada shoes for my sister, $1.20. I couldn't fit them, but somone could. Besides, it will help me afford my Chanel.

yay! I am glad to see I am not the only one who buys to sell on ebay! :smile:

You can count me in too ;). It's a hoarding prevention method, plus it helps fund the things you want but can't find in the thrifts :smile:. My feedback is almost 100 YAY!

What is the store name on ebay! Would love to see the stuff you ladies are selling!

I always read that perfumes have a limited life expectancy, but in reallife have had a very different experience.I store mine in boxes in a bedroom drawer, or in my basement which is cool. I have a vintage Givenchy L'Interdit from the 70's that smells as good as the day I bought it. I've only had 2 perfumes turn on me, a Chanel Coco from the early 90's and a YSL Opium from about the same time. What I look for in vintage fragrance is the perfumed oil, like bathoil. It tends not to go bad, I think because there is no alcohol to evaporate.

Unfortunately I can't get the lid off mine so can't smell it...It's a lovely shade of green though so maybe that's a good thing LOL! So much for "fresh lilac scent" the colour is appalling LOL! I'm assuming since the lid seems to be sealed tight (it's a twist off cap) that it won't evaporate or do anything funky since no air is getting in. I just worry about the sun hitting it since my room gets the sun as it's setting and there is no where else to put it to keep it out of the sunlight unless it goes in a box and is stored away.

Status
Not open for further replies.