Salvation Army (or stores like it) for a vintage designer purse?

I found an Isabella Fiore tote for 7 dollars,
and a Kate spade nylon messenger bag for 5 dollars at
Out of the Closet in Los Feliz, LA....

I've also seen a vintage YSL shoulder bag and Gucci shoulder bag for about $30 each at Wasteland on Melrose.

I haven't found any bags yet, but have found some vintage clothes like a Balenciaga jacket. Not sure where you live, but bigger cities obviously might have a better selection.

I love to nose around in second-hand shops. I haven't seen any desinger bags yet but even in HAckney where I work, I've bought Ferragamo pumps and a Burberry Trench coat. Unfortunately, I've also seen a few fake LVs that seem to sell quickly. I've heard about a the Charity shops around Sloane Square but I have yet to visit one.

Incidentally, did anyone visit the Oxfam that used to be open in New Bond Street?

I used to shop at Salvation Army all the time when I lived in Dallas...not sure if they still do, but Neimans used to donate items there. After a fashion show...all the things would go to the Salvation Army, and I would get shoes that weren't even in the store yet. I once bought my MIL a pair of Chanel boots for $40 that came out that season for over $800. My first Chanel bag I bought at Salvation Army...tags still on, but with the Chanel label cut off the inside pocket. It still cost @$400, but the price tag said $1600...so it was a great deal. Cashmere sweaters are another good find second-hand...I have tons that I have either gotten at thrift shops or at consignment stores. Garage sales are also great for vintage bags....especially if the people are a bit older, and just have no idea that the Gucci bag they are selling for $20, would sell on Ebay for a few hundred! You really need the time to look....and also to go back frequently. I used to go about once a week. But, there is nothing better than a good bargain!!!

Thrift stores... ::starry eyes:: :girlsigh:

I grew up dying for interesting clothes, in a sea of JCPenny's. I was in a very street urban area, so the thrift store was a haven for vintage tee's (15 years before they were cool or expensive) and other unique clothes. When I grew up, I found a few unique designer items, too. My favourite?

A patterned denim mini by JPG (Jean Paul Gaultier) in NYC. If you ever go through the west village, hit a thrift store. I knew celebrities and rich kids dropped stuff off there all the time. You'll never know who owned it first, but have it dry cleaned and dream ;)

Definitely go! I found a Miu Miu evening bag with the Neiman Marcus tags still on it. I've also found a great straw clutch, and cute totes. It all depends on the day. Spring is great for thrift stores, because that's when all the closet-cleaning happens.