s/s 05 Turquoise Twiggy

guys, i have to be honest and say that i don't really see a problem here. she put in a BIN because people probably asked for one. the color and style are highly desired and if you do a search on acthung, you will see that PFers have asked the same for this same bag. more over, the bag may be used but it is in mint condition. also, we don't know what her reserve was so the starting bid may be irrelevant. i just feel like we are trying to use the power of the PF too much. we are hurting sellers who are selling authentic bags. we are smearing SA's names. finally, being a PFer does not make one a good person. we post auctions of people who have been members for a day or who have posted 5 times. where do you draw the line?

sorry for the rant but we complain about people selling fakes, people stealing auctions and now we are complaining about people selling authentic bags at prices we deem to be high???

Apart from any other issue, I think that is too high a price for a used bag in this style and particular color. Just my opinion, and I've bought a lot of Balenciaga bags, new and used. Others may disagree, of course.

There was no reserve on this bag when first listed. When you sell something on eBay you have to decide where you want to put your price point. She did, it was $999. Then she gets enquiries and realises that there is interest and wham it's up to $1299. That's a 30% raise. 30%. Let's face it, this discussion would not be happening if she had listed it at $1299 initially, it's the fact that it looks uber-greedy on her side to raise the starting bid. If she was happy with $999 when she listed it, what happened?

This does not address the BIN. She can set it at $1,000,000 if she wants. I am talking about the changing of the initial bid price. She could have put in the BIN, without changing the $999 initial bid amount.

It is a stunning colour in amazing condition and if someone really wants this bag, they are going to buy it, whether they read this thread, or not. PFer or not. $1299 - $1599 or not.

I wish you well,

Bridget

Bridget S. said:
There was no reserve on this bag when first listed. When you sell something on eBay you have to decide where you want to put your price point. She did, it was $999. Then she gets enquiries and realises that there is interest and wham it's up to $1299. That's a 30% raise. 30%. Let's face it, this discussion would not be happening if she had listed it at $1299 initially, it's the fact that it looks uber-greedy on her side to raise the starting bid. If she was happy with $999 when she listed it, what happened?

This does not address the BIN. She can set it at $1,000,000 if she wants. I am talking about the changing of the initial bid price. She could have put in the BIN, without changing the $999 initial bid amount.

It is a stunning colour in amazing condition and if someone really wants this bag, they are going to buy it, whether they read this thread, or not. PFer or not. $1299 - $1599 or not.

I wish you well,

Bridget

I am not sure that this thread had anything to do with it as Vlad stated in the other thread, non-PFers can't read the acthung section. As for being greedy, some PFers price their bags "high" to begin with because of information they have gained from being members such as what is the hot bag now, your dream bag thread, etc... when they might have been content with much less had they not had this information. I am not sure that what she is doing is any worse. Again, she sells nice authentic bags.

Chigirl, I also read Vlad's post about non members being unable to read the Achtung section, but it was posted in the Achtung section and it had a great starting bid, and I bet that quite a few members emailed her from her eBay auction and that is what led to her raising her price. I doubt that she read this thread, but the interest that it generated in her handbag is most likely what caused her to raise her price.

I agree, I have seen her auctions on eBay from time to time and she does sell authentic handbags, in fantastic condition and I'll say again, I have no issue with her selling it for $1300, *if* she had listed it at that price initially.

I wish you well,

Bridget

Chigirl,
You're very fair and so is Mimz. I tried to explain why sellers sometimes raise their opening bids but no one wanted to hear it. I think the double standard around here is alarming. If a PF'er lists a bag for about 800. over retail, there's lots of encouraging words. If a non-PF'er has the nerve to adjust her opening bid to just below her buy it now (yes, probably in direct response to the tons of emails she's getting) that person is greedy--even though her prices are no different than the PF'ers prices. This seller's buy it now was about 550. over retail, so that's actually less than many PF auctions I've seen recently. And no one considers that maybe the seller knew the price would go up anyway and she was just trying to move it along--probably so she can buy another bag. ;)

I do agree that advertisting these bags does create tons of interest and that drives up the price. Suddenly people are looking at bags they never knew about and it creates a frenzy. So if people stop listing the bags, the prices will even out a little. But we're still talking about rare bags and as Mimz said, it's supply & demand.

I didn't mean to rant, I wanted to thank you for being so honest and fair. :flowers:

I don't see a double standard at all. If that seller had originally priced it at what she has now, I'd bet someone would still have posted it and we'd all drool, PFer or not. I know how ebay works. It's just disappointing that the price went up before our eyes. At first I was excited to bid, now not so much.

It is also just an apparently unavoidable fact that all the PF interest in uncovering and posting bags and thus promoting their sale, along with the passage of time, of course, is driving up the prices. I guess prices become whatever the market will bear. Great if you're selling, bad if you're buying. I admit I virtually never sell, so I have more of a buyer's POV.

If I remember correctly, around 2004-05, if you missed the boat when bags came out, it was routine to pay a re-seller way over the retail price for a brand new one, and over retail for a used but mint/excellent bag. How high the price was depended on condition and the perceived rarity of the color. Rarity probably has a lot to do with popularity and with buyers KEEPING certain colors, as well as actual rarity in production. If I remember correctly, $1200 was pretty normal for a new twiggy; $1400-1500 for a city. Seller's market.

The resale Balenciaga market was then awful for quite some time, as the new leather, more mass-produced bags started coming out and people could more readily obtain brand new bags in new colors at RETAIL prices. It has taken a while for a cycle to happen, in which more and more new devotees became very educated about the "old" leather and colors, what is scarce, etc. For a while, it was only when a long-time, "early days" Balenciaga seller (with an unquestioned reputation for selling authentic, fantastic condition bags) put a near perfect older bag on ebay that these kinds of prices were paid. Now, very many 2005 bags, for example, seem to sell at the high prices formerly reserved for the "very rare." Maybe we have Balenciaga to thank for that, as all the older leather starts seeming better and better. ?? And ourselves as buyers. It's hard to get used to, especially if you are looking for a bargain.

I personally love and adore 2005 turquoise. It was a plentiful color (in comparison with other colors of the season) when it was sold in 2005. I had no problem buying a city at retail. The same is true of another lovely color, sky blue. I remember not so long ago being totally unable, to a group of hard-core Balenciaga fans, to sell a BNWT (including luisaviaroma security tag) sky blue twiggy with to die for leather at slightly above the 2005 retail price. Times change. I paid this kind of price about a year and a half ago for a brand new and unused turquoise 2004 twiggy. I have paid a little more for a BNWT rose city or brand new 2004 turquoise voyage. Now it is getting to be the norm. The market probably won't "fall" again until the prices just go so over the top that only the rare person will pay them!