Ruthenium or guilloche?

Orchids, that is a beautiful bracelet! Thanks for posting pic. The hardware is stunning!
Here's a close-up of ruthenium hardware on my Kelly.
116_1665-20070325110136.jpg

for anyone who likes trivia, guilloche is a complicated mathematical construct of turning wheels and straight lines -- here's an article that explains it: http://www.atsweb.neu.edu/math/cp/blog/Guilloche/Guilloche.htm

BUT, thanks to american pop culture an advanced degree in mathematics is not required to understand it. basically, it's the patterns produced by a Spirograph! the more wheels you add, the more complicated it becomes, and hence these patterns are used on printed currency to deter counterfeiters.

it's also used on the metal under enamel, to provide the pattern that you see through the enamel -- though it's become the general term for the patterning whether it is actually a geometric guilloche or not.

like this:
salmkov350.jpg

fegg1.jpg

Thanks Kat, PazT, & LTT (glad you're enjoying the blog).

Funnyredhead--what colors were you thinking with ruthenium? It is such a gorgeous metal--adds a bit of edge to any bag.

DQ--thank you for that information--I knew it referred to the way it was constructed but didn't know the specifics--here's another example of guilloche on a clock I own.

Attachments

• CIMG2654.jpg
    CIMG2654.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 142
very pretty clock, orchids! i love the wave effect.

so i've been contemplating the ruthenium vs. guilloche issue myself for a raisin kelly -- it will be chevre if it's offered in august. do you think guilloche with chevre is too much pattern?

I think Raisin looks amazing with ruthenium, but the guilloche would be fine against the Chevre--the detail is really evident only when you look up close at the hardware. From afar, it's a bit more muted so it wouldn't be as busy as you think.

Eric you have no idea how lucky you are to wear a Kelly double tour! i was in love with it but my fat wrists couldn't fit in it, the sa and I were trying to flod my wrist in half to fit, to this day I'm still not over it and i would kill for one :sad:

Dear NM,

The Kelly Double Tour comes in sizes. Mine is an MM.....leading me to suspect that the one you tried was a PM. Please call your SA and check sizes. I love mine and for a bit of fun, sometimes use a cadena or padlock with it.